Altoona Area

F

foxfire

I will be having business 1 or 2 days a month in Altoona the next couple of years. Not too familiar with the area. Without venturing to State College - since time will be limited, what's the recommendation for a close by stream(s) with easy access? Thanks!!

LJR is your closest "famous" water. Headwaters almost make it right into Altoona, but you probably wanna cut through the mountain and fish it downstream. Half hourish to the famous spots, slightly less for the less famous spots.

The Allegheny front is to your west. Lots of little cuts and so forth come down off of it, most of which contain wild fish. Small stream fishin, but not knowing that area super well, it's probably pretty good.

Canoe Creek and the Frankie (Frankstown Branch) are close.

I fished the Spruce Creek George Harvey section Friday. It's easy access but only a half-mile long.

I'd guess it's about 25 minutes from Altoona. Check with Spruce Creek Outfitters and I'm sure he'll give you all the info. The specific place above is about a mile from his shop.

You can get to the George Harvey's section in about 30 minutes from Altoona. Your best bet for close fishing is what pcray said up top. There's some nice stretches of the Little J pretty close to town. Also, there are some killer brookie streams if you head up towards Bellwood Reservoir. Good luck.

Great! I'm familiar (in name) with most that was mentioned. Actually didnt know they were that close to the area. Thanks again!!

Yellow creek is a bit out of the way, but one of my favorite streams.

You can fish the Frankstown branch of the Juniata which runs through claysburg. That would only be about 10 minutes away. It gets a lot of pressure but it is do able.

Bobs creek is out past claysburg on rout 869, i have yet to fish this in the late season though.

The little J is probably your best bet. Great stream, and tough to fish certain sections.

If you want to venture up rout 22 there are a few streams up here as well. If you want to fish a Class-A wild trout water there is Benscreek outside of Portage, the lower end is stocked. The Little Conemaugh is also stocked from Cresson to Portage. I can give you a few spots on these to try as well. They are about 2 minutes from my house. These would be about 15-20 minutes away from Altoona. They are small streams, but hold fish year round.

Pm me if you have any questions on how to get to these streams

Yellow creek will give you plenty of opportunity to catch fish!
At the INT of 26 and 36, Hopewell Pa. Fish the FF only section

Foxfire & All:

- Definitely hit up the Little Juniata River. The stream is definitely worth exploring from its headwaters (near the r.r. yards in Altoona) all the way to the mouth.

- The Little Juniata is one of those streams that fishes better in the morning before the sun hits the water (unless there is a major hatch in progress.)

- Major grannom hatch on the Little Juniata in the spring, followed by the Sulphurs in May.

- There are five limestone spring creeks (wild browns with some wild rainbows present) within 20 miles of town. You'll need to get a DeLorme Map and start exploring.

- Speaking of wild rainbows. There seems to be more and more them with each passing year.

- If you have kids, and are looking for an easy/safe place to catch stocked trout .. then try Blair Gap Run in Duncansville, PA. There is a park near the post office that sits on PA-764. A major Trout Unlimited project was completed there about 10 years ago, and the state stocks this section several times a year. Nice place to take the kids (swing sets, pavilions, restrooms).

- Frankstown Branch near Poplar Run (near Newry, PA) about 5 miles south of Altoona, gets stocked once or twice a year. Also several private clubs/individuals stock this section. Unfortunately, this section does get a bit hot (temperature wise) in the summer.

- Frankstown Branch upstream (south) of East Freedom receives several stockings each spring. Again, this section is susceptible to the warming effects of mid-summer.

- If you want more specifics ... write me: (jpcoxey@yahoo.com)

- Hope this helps.

John Coxey
(jpcoxey@yahoo.com)

Like MIKE says "BOBS"

Try any of the streams flowing off the Allegheny Front. Most have public sections and wild trout.

FINALLY will be in the area. Minutes from Plum Creek. Not to spot burn, but any issues/recommendations?? Quick Google check indicates past agriculture pollution issues.

Back