Allegheny creek in berks county will no longer be stocked

Jessed

Jessed

I just saw a revision saying “CANCELLED
Due to an increase in landowner posting, this section will not be stocked in 2018.”. I thought this was Intresting because the past few years I’ve seen stocking points diminish and good spots being posted. I guess landowners were tired of the trash, who can blame them on that? Anyone know of a stream where they stopped stocking and started again?

Yes, ironically enough, Allegheny Ck.

Yes below the 235 bridge on penns creek was stocked many years ago they stopped for many years and now is stocked again.

>>Anyone know of a stream where they stopped stocking and started again?>>

East Br. French Creek, Erie County, although I guess it is officially known as French Creek proper. Anyway, the section from Wattsburg up to the NY line has been off and on for the last 40 years.

It's currently on and has been for a decade or so, I think.. But I'm guessing the situation remains tenuous as it only gets a pre-season plant.

The majority of Erie County inland stocked streams were lost in the property rights kerfuffle of the mid-80's. This section of French Creek is one of the few that was ever regained, albeit erratically.

Rock Run, Lancaster County...was off for a year and then returned once the landowner situation was straightened out at the upper end and the stocking limits extended downstream to maintain an appropriate length for stocking.

As for Allegheny Creek, it is highly unlikely that it will return for a second time.

Note: The trout were transferred to Kaercher Creek Dam in Hamburg,,as it is new to the spring stocking program. The fish should be well-utilized there.

Jessed wrote:
Anyone know of a stream where they stopped stocking and started again?

We had one here in Adams Co back in the 90s. It was off again, on again. Also tried special reg for awhile but the landowner was mercurial and difficult. The section was eventually dropped from stocking years ago and remains posted.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. People treat private land (especially the first day of trout season) like it's a frat house party. Trash, camp fires, parking on peoples lawns, etc. I've lived in Berks County all my life. When I think back 50 years ago and compare the stream-miles that were stocked and now lost, it sickens me. The trout stream treated with the most respect? The Tully. I seldom see litter except bait containers left by people fishing illegally, or litter that washed downstream from the lake or stilling basin. Gee, I think there is a direct correlation here because most of the people that fish the DH area fly fish. Oops, I don't want it to sound like we are an elite group, which would be politically incorrect.

It's a lot more than just the streams. Drive along any highway and the trash is disgusting. Why do people think it's okay to throw their trash out the window? Why is it so difficult to take it home and dispose of it properly?

Mike, I was hoping Kaercher Creek Dam would be added some day. will give a multitude of anglers the opportunity to fish a new trout area.

salvelinus wrote:
It's a lot more than just the streams. Drive along any highway and the trash is disgusting. Why do people think it's okay to throw their trash out the window? Why is it so difficult to take it home and dispose of it properly?
Because people are basically slobs, plain and simple. I will continue to pick up after them though.

Yes, ironically enough, Allegheny Ck.
There is a small stretch of it in William Penn Gibraltar Hill tract? Any native s or wild browns ? I fished this creek in the late 70s and was sad to see
It go but I was thinking of tryin that short stretch. I also used to fish Moselem Springs Creek which went by the wayside….

Once you get upstream from Green Hills Lake the Allegheny Ck supports a very low density wild Brown Trout population. Farther upstream that improves, but I don’t know how far up you need to go to now recognize that improvement. Where it occurred years ago there was a low density but fishable population. Years ago it was a matter of miles above the lake, but once you got within a mile to two miles of the headwaters the wild trout disappeared again. Some tribs support wild ST.

If I lived in that area I would be curious enough to try to explore it with a fishing rod. If the stream’s riparian vegetation has grown thicker and if the sedimentation is no worse, the stream may hold some surprises. It certainly has improved enough over the decades for wild BT to now be all of the way down to Green Hills Lake, which then suggests, as improvements typically go, that the stream has also improved upstream where wild trout were already present.

As for Moselem, stocking discontinued, but a very short stretch held and probably still holds a very good population of wild BT.

This is an old thread, but as Outsider suggested within the thread, Kaercher Creek Dam was eventually added to the stocking program, not because Outsider suggested it, but because it was a partial replacement for the waste occurring in the spring trout stocking program at near-by Leaser Lake, where based on WCO observations and Fisheries Management opening day angler interviews few people caught any trout during the spring. At least with the addition of Kaercher, the Leaser stocking numbers were reduced.

Last edited:
Once you get upstream from Green Hills Lake the Allegheny Ck supports a very low density wild Brown Trout population. Farther upstream that improves, but I don’t know how far up you need to go to now recognize that improvement. Where it occurred years ago there was a low density but fishable population. Years ago it was a matter of miles above the lake, but once you got within a mile to two miles of the headwaters the wild trout disappeared again. Some tribs support wild ST.

If I lived in that area I would be curious enough to try to explore it with a fishing rod. If the stream’s riparian vegetation has grown thicker and if the sedimentation is no worse, the stream may hold some surprises. It certainly has improved enough over the decades for wild BT to now be all of the way down to Green Hills Lake, which then suggests, as improvements typically go, that the stream has also improved upstream where wild trout were already present.

As for Moselem, stocking discontinued, but a very short stretch held and probably still holds a very good population of wild BT.

This is an old thread, but as Outsider suggested within the thread, Kaercher Creek Dam was eventually added to the stocking program, not because Outsider suggested it, but because it was a partial replacement for the waste occurring in the spring trout stocking program at near-by Leaser Lake, where based on WCO observations and Fisheries Management opening day angler interviews few people caught any trout during the spring. At least with the addition of Kaercher, the Leaser stocking numbers were reduced.
Thanks Mike good info….I’ll probably just hit the small stretch…

We had one here in Adams Co back in the 90s. It was off again, on again. Also tried special reg for awhile but the landowner was mercurial and difficult. The section was eventually dropped from stocking years ago and remains posted.
Sounds like Bermudian. Fished there 1x (caught fish) but never went back.

Back