Advice for Savage River

wildtrout24

wildtrout24

Will be spending a few days next week on the Savage River. I will be fishing with a few senior anglers and was wondering about wading the lower Savage? Could anyone compare it wading wise to some streams in Pa....I have heard it can be tricky on the lower stretches? Would we be better off safety wise on the River upstream of the lake with wading. Thanks in advance and any other pointers would be appreciated.

Below the lake, the wading can be tricky. There are some areas where wading can be had without too much difficulty, but if you walk awhile in either direction, you will encounter difficult stretches.

I'll second what JackM says... the Lower Savage can be really tricky wading, especially with the Didymo. I would suggest stopping in at the Savage River Outfitters. I'm sure he'll put you onto some spots with easier access.

Just got off the lower savage a few hours ago, there is zero didymo right now, it was washed out in the whitewater release on saturday(and other high flow days). It's definitely tricky wading. When I take my father, who is 77, I set him up in one of the flatter easier pools. He doesn't move through the water much and has his wading staff out. The river is better fished covering alot of water and hitting the pocket water, though. The upper savage is much easier to wade. There are also some good options within a half hour or so that are easier as well. The upper yough in maryland is pretty manageable. Make sure you check the flows, they've had alot of water lately, although the savage is down some now. If you want a few spots where the elders can set up shop on the lower shoot me a pm and I can help you out.

Thanks for the responses, what a nice resource this board provides. I worry about my uncle wading, he can be stubborn. I think wI'll check out the upper water and then do some exploring the lower stretches for some slow runs.

I would also second Ryan's comments, but add that most of the lower Savage can be effectively fished from the banks. With that being said, the banks can be just as tough to manage as the water, but if you take your time and really work the slack water on the edges from the shore, great rewards can be had.

My biggest advice would be to pick a stretch and do not try and cover a lot of water distance wise, there are a ton of fish in every given section, and sometimes slowing down and slowly working small set of pockets can be very effective.

Back