Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Advice for Penns Creek tomorrow

From Central, PA

It's hard not to tell anyone off sometimes but if your gonna go gotta realize that's the way it is

Posted on: 2013/6/3 9:09

From SW PA
I was there Saturday. For all the hoopla that goes on for the Drakes, I didn't think it was really that crowded. There was a good 60, 80 yards between us and the next angler, upstream and down. In that amount of stream, on Penns, that's more fish than you are going to need for one evening IMHO. I didn't even walk very far from where we parked.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 9:14

From Central, PA

Seems like alot of guys leave even before it gets dark and comes off saw alot of people leaving early.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 9:27

From Lehigh Valley PA
Picture of the copperhead, if I resized it correctly

Attach file:

jpg  copperhead.jpg (145.40 KB)
4136_51acbe483d245.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2013/6/3 12:03

From SW PA
I Stayed until I lost a contact lens about 10 PM. At that point, I felt the challenge was too much too handle, lacking much depth perception, in the darkness, with a few thousand coffin flies in my ear.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 12:05

From SE PA - Montgomery County
7 of us fished Penns on Sunday evening (5/26) in Weikert just above Cherry Run. Plenty of bugs around, but it was only the second or third day after the GD hatch was reported to have started. We must have been just above the area where they were coming off strong because the GD's were not heavy where we were at the time.

I caught a bunch of fish on top using a rusty spinner and coffin fly. Too bad they were all chubs and 9" smallmouth. I managed one 17" brown nymphing a run earlier in the day. I guess we picked the wrong pool to occupy come dusk. A few others in our group caught some smaller trout in the riffles, but no big numbers between the 7 of us.

It was a fun time nonetheless.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 13:04

Stimey,
That copperhead is a timber rattlesnake.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 13:21

From Dauphin PA
Cl,

I'm glad to see that it wasn't just me that night. We're you the group at the bottom of the island? I came through, nymphed below you for 15 minutes and went back upstream. I was on the river til 9:30 or middle of the fireworks show as I called it. More fishermen, caddis, stones and olives than drakes. I had a raccoon hanging out with me for a while. That was kind of cool.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 13:39

From Lancaster Co.
My minimal experience with green drakes was a few year's back on Young Womens Creek (pre-stocking) and a class A in that area I won't mention for fear of spot burning accusations. Sporadic drakes were coming off during the day on these streams and the fish actually ate them. It was enjoyable and other than one guy who I talked to on Young Womans I saw no one else fishing there. Two friends and I "crowded" the class A stream.

I think over the same weekend we had some drakes on Kettle but not enough to really get things going.

This thread is making me anxious for the madness to end and, if the weather doesn't get too hot, I'll be back on Penns nymphing the riffles and stalking an occasional riser all in relative solitude. And hopefully not running into any rattlesnakes or amorous raccoons.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 14:40

From Central, PA
Looks like a rattler to me. I did better with stone nymphs in the runs then anything else.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 15:36

From Ohio
It's not just ratlers you have to worry about on Penns. On Friday evening a black bear came out of the woods right behind me. This happended about 50 yards from the parking lot. The bear was 5' from me. He looked at me, I looked at him, I began backing away into the water and he dashed off. It was really cool to see the bear, but it was a bit too close for comfort.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 17:47

From Richfield, PA
Had a bear come off White Mt and cross the creek at Cherry Run a couple of years ago. I gave him all the room he wanted.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:37
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley PA
ok rattlesnake, either way watch where you step! All the rattlesnakes i've seen up at penns were much darker, When I got home I looked up copperhead and many of the pictures of northern copperheads looked similar to this snake. Also it didn't move at all when I almost stepped on it which I read is common for copperheads. But I will take your word for it..... I didnt mess with it to see and its tail was not visable to see rattles

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:10

From SW Pennsylvania
Nice pic Stimey, rattler's have such such a broad range of colors. If I was surprised by this guy, I would definitely make a feminine sound.

Just a side note, my buddy and I were on Penn's Friday night and I was a little surprised it wasn't more crowded. I was expecting a crap-show like the Salmon River, but we had plenty of space. I don't like fishing with people around me, but there was 30 yards between groups of fisherman. The hatch was the experience.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 23:28

From Central, PA
the drakes done goodbye to all of you out of towners well see you later lol. Im sure everyone in our whole area will be glad to see everyone leave people managed to piss the landowner off enough at the walk bridge in Coburn to spray paint a line and put boulders up because no one is smart enough to learn to park. Alot of belly up dead trout floating around and laying on the bottom yep another great tourist green drake season gets better every year.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 9:45

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com