Access to EB Perk

R

RobM314

I'm new to the area and am still learning the local etiquette and rules.

I've fished before, so that's not the issue. Rather, I'm wondering about how to access the streams.

In PA, or perhaps just in Bucks, are there marked areas where fishing is permitted and/or prohibited? I'm looking to eventually wade in the EB Perk - are there "approved" areas for this, or do I just knock on someone's door and ask permission?

Just ask permission when desiring to fish on private land, but if you are thinking about fishing the stocked trout stretches of the East Branch...one in Bucks Co and the other in MontCo...both are primarily in public parks. The MontCo one has more private land, however.

I can't speak specifics for the stream you are asking about, but from a legal standpoint, PA is an implied consent state when it comes to trespass, meaning if you don't see a no trespass sign, or someone hasn't verbally told you no, or built a fence to keep you out, you'd have a decent chance of winning a court case if someone tried to arrest you for criminal trespass. The general principal is "Open lands that are not posted or fenced off are presumed open for recreational use by the public, especially in rural counties where hunting and outdoor activities are common." That is from a court case - you read more about it here:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/199545529padampc4th4261410

But, even if you don't see any signs, out of respect for a landowner, it's still worth knocking on a few doors, explaining your intentions and getting explicit permission.

So the decision tree would be something like:

Is it public land? Then probably open (although there are a few exceptions).
Is it private land held in trust for the public (like conservancy land)? Possibly open, but organizations can make up their own rules.

Is it private land, unposted? Probably legally open, but you run the risk of raising the ire of a landowner if you don't ask.
Is it private land, posted or otherwise configured in a way to lead you to believe you should keep out? Still worth asking a landowner if you can fish the water. The worst they can do is confirm what the sign says; the best that can happen is you gain access to some water that someone else was afraid to ask a landowner about.

All good responses above. I lived near the junction of the EB and the MB of the Perky for many years. As Mike stated, the public parks are the stocked areas. There can be good smallmouth fishing in the summer on both the EB and the MB. Access is a hopscotch affair with some road frontage bordering the streams. Enjoy.

Back