water, water everywhere...

tomgamber

tomgamber

Ok, I got a million gallons of acidic iron laden waste water..going once, going twice....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_679530.html

"Now it looks like water is a byproduct of all this( coal production), and we'll probably develop greater water resources for the state."

The company started selling meatallurgical coal in China for the first time. "Coal from the same seam that built the steel industry in Pittsburgh is now being transported to China for them to build their infrastructure, and for them to make steel."

-CEO Consol Energy

Brilliant PR. So does your industry want to drill every piece of land in the state to hold the reserves so Pennsylvania and the United States can get back some factories? You guys wouldn't be trying to ship any of this natural gas via ship to China, would you? Can you LNG this finite resource to get rich now and ship it? This is PA gas right, it doesn't go on the open market?

I know they meant that to read as good PR but I read it as a kick in the teeth to places like Pittsburgh.

yeah, it wasn't well written.

But seriously, it does make environmental sense to use mine water for gas wells. While the old coal mines dumped untreated water into streams, and these are still a major problem, modern mines treat all that water before dumping it into streams. For gas wells, instead of taking all that water from streams and lakes, why not just use what comes out of the coal mines?

FWIW, I work for a steel company, but we use no metallurgical coal.

Sounds like a good solution to me. Recycling!

Back