polluted rocks

R

riverwhy

After the recent flooding along Middle Creek in No. Lancaster County, a number of large stream washed across the road onto my mother's property. Actually the rocks originated on he property as she owns the streambank across the road. She spoke to the state (assuming penndot) and they said they could not replace the rocks back to the streambank as they were contaminated.

Now I can understand given sewage and maybe leaking oil tanks from upstream that the rocks have some level of contamination. The area is pretty rural but I do wonder about the septic systems especially those houses very close to the stream. But seriously don't all the other rocks along miles and miles of stream also have a similar level of contamination? What difference would it make to replace those NATURAL rocks in that 30 yard section? Not to mention the fact that the lake upstream is essentially a goose cesspool?

What beautiful creek smooth sandstone remained (after the township gave people the go ahead to take the rocks off my mothers property for personal use) were hauled away by the state. They then brought in rock (that limestone they typically use on roadsides that looks hideous in a sandstone environment) of approximately the same size to place on the streambank.

If anyone has any knowledge of DEP rules regarding this issue I would love to hear about them.

Jay P

Back