Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »


disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/5/29 6:40
From harlansburg
Posts: 4471
Offline
spent the weekend at SB Elliot park, rented a cabin for a quick getaway. I've stayed here in the past and always liked it for the quiet beauty of the forest and decent fishing if you felt like hiking a few miles.
this weekend changed my mind, actually sickened me. that area of the moshannon state forest is an industrial park. we drove around on saturday, wanting to enjoy the forest, look out for wildlife, and just generally poke around in the woods. instead we were run off the road by ignorant a$$hole well workers, and followed by gas company security, like we were tresspassing on our own F**king property. at night the quiet of the woods was replace by the constant rumble of drilling equipment, maybe a compressor station or something like that, sounded like a helicopter constantly hovering.
then I read about a well blowout that occurred and poluted the stream I like to fish near there, laurel run.
next time I'll just camp out on neville island, part of which is an industrial wasteland just downriver from pittsburgh.
I hate to see what has become of the forests further north, where drilling is happening at a much faster rate.
I've seen enough, my heart is broken, the gas companies are taking over, only a matter of time before they control all the forests and parks. I no longer feel welcome in my own state.



Posted on: 2011/11/6 16:02


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2006/9/11 19:52
Posts: 95
Offline
I Share Your Pain

Water withdrawals, contamination and all the other problems we have already seen with Marcellus shale drilling are not in the end the worst. Even if the gas companies do everything right, all the time, an unlikely prospect, they are going to open our forest again after a century of regrowth. This is an inevitable outcome of the drilling that cannot be remediated, except by time, a very long time, a century or more depending how long the drillers will be there.

That is why we need a tax on the gas that is being taken out of the ground. The funds must be used to support purchase of new forest lands to replace the acreage lost and to support restoration efforts. And the notion that the money derived should only go to the areas where drilling is taking place is ridiculous. As you have just shown, these lands are shared by all Pennsylvanians, not just the folks living nearby.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 11:15


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/10/15 13:45
From Eastern PA
Posts: 10293
Offline
Ken,

While I agree with your position on taxation, I disagree with the approach. Why would one exploit current land to acquire new, unexploited land?

Bikerfish, I agree that it is truly disgraceful what is happening.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 11:21


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2006/9/11 19:52
Posts: 95
Offline
I am not advocating exploiting existing land. The decision to drill has already been made. What I would advocate is taxing whatever comes out of the ground and use the monies to repair what has been damaged as well as purchase additional forest land to replace what has been lost.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 14:09


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/2/10 16:30
From SE PA
Posts: 5040
Offline
Quote:

KenU wrote:
I am not advocating exploiting existing land. The decision to drill has already been made. What I would advocate is taxing whatever comes out of the ground and use the monies to repair what has been damaged as well as purchase additional forest land to replace what has been lost.


If there was a revenue stream from a gas tax maybe the state would be better served by using a portion to buy back the mineral rights under key SP and other ecologically sensitive or unique areas?

Posted on: 2011/11/7 14:35


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/5/29 6:40
From harlansburg
Posts: 4471
Offline
Franklin, that would be a great idea, but I doubt it will ever happen. I'm afraid any moneys the state gets from any kind of tax/fee/whatever will be squandered away by the government machine faster than they can collect it. I don't think the majority really cares about some pieces of woods in counties they've never been to. they don't care about trout streams, they don't care about the enviroment, ecosystems, or habitats. all they care about is that their gas bill is going to be reduced by all this. boy are they in for a surprise.
the entire thing is very sad, and most people have no idea just how huge the scale of all this is. our forests will NEVER be the same in our lifetime. I've been saying all along, our state government is not listening to it's own constitution regarding state lands, it reads as follows.
"The people have a right to clean air, pure water, and to the preservation of the natural, scenic, historic and esthetic values of the environment. Pennsylvania's public natural resources are the common property of all the people, including generations yet to come. As trustee of these resources, the Commonwealth shall conserve and maintain them for the benefit of all the people."

I don't see anything written there about leasing any of it off to be destoyed for private profit.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 16:14


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/5/29 16:32
From Nicholson PA
Posts: 279
Offline
You should have to deal with it daily from your living room,That will tickel your fancy.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 16:16


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2006/11/2 8:50
Posts: 6349
Offline
Maybe DCNR can add a map to their website showing the current Marcellus Destruction Zones (MDZs), so that people who want to head out to replenish their spirits in Penns Woods would know which areas to avoid.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 16:34


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/5/29 6:40
From harlansburg
Posts: 4471
Offline
this map is pretty easy to use, click on the tack for the county of your choice to see producing/currently being drilled/or permitted well sites.
http://www.marcellusgas.org/
MDZ!!! I laughed out loud! at least I can find a little humor in it all.
melvin, I'd rather not try to think about it. the rigs keep getting closer to me, only a matter of time. I hate to see what it will do to our property values, those of us who don't own our mineral rights or have too little property for it to matter. I would never have bought this place if I knew then what I know now.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 17:11


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2008/10/14 11:12
Posts: 31
Offline
Went to our cabin near Germania in Potter Co. this past weekend for some R&R and peace and quiet. First thing that greeted me was the dirt road leading up the mountain to our place, that had been that way since Ole Bull came from Norway to settle the area probably over 200 years ago, now had a nice foot thick layer of asphalt. Seismic testing markers everywhere throughout the Upper Kettle Creek watershed(likely the best brook trout habitat in the whole state). Woke up Sunday morning for a cup of coffee on the back porch and the hope of seeing some deer or bear, but was greeted with helicopters hovering all over the mountain and white driller trucks buzzing around the roads. Felt like I was in "Nam. I got the hell out of there and was just sick to my stomach. To second the above comment, if I knew anything about the damn marcellus shale when we bought our place, I never would have. This all sickens me!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 9:57


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2006/11/2 8:50
Posts: 6349
Offline
What do they use the helicopters for?


Posted on: 2011/11/8 10:01


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2008/10/14 11:12
Posts: 31
Offline
Helicopters I believe are to fly over all the areas they have surveyed and marked and to drop down cables and explosives in hard to reach forested ares. Then then can cut paths through the forests, lay cables, dig holes and set off dynamite charges to conduct their seismic testing. Sounds lovely doesn't it?

Posted on: 2011/11/8 10:10


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2009/12/16 11:21
From West Chester
Posts: 316
Offline
it's very sad to see all the ecological progress that had been made being squandered. this whole marcellus thing disgusts me-that "my" state would sell out so easily and wholeheartedly. When my girlfriend gets done grad school i plan on moving west.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 15:59


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2011/3/31 12:18
From Clearfield
Posts: 2495
Offline
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
spent the weekend at SB Elliot park, rented a cabin for a quick getaway. I've stayed here in the past and always liked it for the quiet beauty of the forest and decent fishing if you felt like hiking a few miles.
this weekend changed my mind, actually sickened me. that area of the moshannon state forest is an industrial park. we drove around on saturday, wanting to enjoy the forest, look out for wildlife, and just generally poke around in the woods. instead we were run off the road by ignorant a$$hole well workers, and followed by gas company security, like we were tresspassing on our own F**king property. at night the quiet of the woods was replace by the constant rumble of drilling equipment, maybe a compressor station or something like that, sounded like a helicopter constantly hovering.
then I read about a well blowout that occurred and poluted the stream I like to fish near there, laurel run.
next time I'll just camp out on neville island, part of which is an industrial wasteland just downriver from pittsburgh.
I hate to see what has become of the forests further north, where drilling is happening at a much faster rate.
I've seen enough, my heart is broken, the gas companies are taking over, only a matter of time before they control all the forests and parks. I no longer feel welcome in my own state.




I live 15-20 minutes from there and you absolutely correct. This is the same area they had to evacuate because of a leak. Guess what there was no one trained to deal with this leak. I used to travel these roads all the time for peace and quiet, but now I avoid them. It is unbelievable!!!!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 16:32


Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

Joined:
2011/3/31 12:18
From Clearfield
Posts: 2495
Offline
Quote:

grhe wrote:
Went to our cabin near Germania in Potter Co. this past weekend for some R&R and peace and quiet. First thing that greeted me was the dirt road leading up the mountain to our place, that had been that way since Ole Bull came from Norway to settle the area probably over 200 years ago, now had a nice foot thick layer of asphalt. Seismic testing markers everywhere throughout the Upper Kettle Creek watershed(likely the best brook trout habitat in the whole state). Woke up Sunday morning for a cup of coffee on the back porch and the hope of seeing some deer or bear, but was greeted with helicopters hovering all over the mountain and white driller trucks buzzing around the roads. Felt like I was in "Nam. I got the hell out of there and was just sick to my stomach. To second the above comment, if I knew anything about the damn marcellus shale when we bought our place, I never would have. This all sickens me!

It will get worse, it has only just begun.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 16:34



« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com