Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: disheartening at the very least (a rant)

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

franklin wrote:
We tend to look at the forests from a very narrow slice of time. Over a larger time frame and left to nature without man's manipulation there would periodically large forest fires such that across a wide area like Pa various stages of maturity would exist. Man has altered this process and it will never return to an untouched state. One forestry tool that in some ways simulates nature is periodic clear cutting.

clear cutting and fires are not equal.

Attach file:

jpg  clearcut.jpg (22.26 KB)
49_4eecfc3c268f7.jpg 450X307 px

jpg  burn.jpg (241.29 KB)
49_4eecfc76bb57d.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/12/17 15:32

Regarding long term impact from the pads. There are still charcoal flats around from the 1800s that have never grown back. And rr grades and log landings from the 1800s that have also never grown back. And splash dam flats from the 1800s that have never grown back.

I wouldn't be that confident that the thousands of 5 acre pads that will result from Marcellus will be reforested anytime soon.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 17:32

From SE PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

franklin wrote:
We tend to look at the forests from a very narrow slice of time. Over a larger time frame and left to nature without man's manipulation there would periodically large forest fires such that across a wide area like Pa various stages of maturity would exist. Man has altered this process and it will never return to an untouched state. One forestry tool that in some ways simulates nature is periodic clear cutting.

clear cutting and fires are not equal.

or this fire and clear cut

Attach file:

jpg  fire_aftermath.jpg (57.70 KB)
2087_4eed2c7bec03f.jpg 445X296 px

jpg  image007.jpg (30.16 KB)
2087_4eed2caf3645b.jpg 309X209 px

Posted on: 2011/12/17 18:58

From Greensburg, PA
From the same web page you took your fire picture from:
(btw, I took my pic myself)

Benefits of Forest fires
Without forest fires, the build up of vegetation in a forest may prevent certain seeds
from germinating and prevent the growth of new trees. Forests that do not have a
regular occurrence of a fire have no way of destroying some of the thick vegetation
that that grows, therefore causing a major problem. The forest grows extremely
dense and become a massive source of fuel for future fires, making fires that
will burn much hotter and more destructive to the environment. Yet, but not least,
forest fires open the forest floor which allows sunlight in for more growth of different species, and the ash left behind puts plenty of nutrients into the soil.

Except for allowing the sun to shine in...clear cutting provides none of these benefits.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 23:04

From Lansdale
Has anyone thought about the effects beyond PA.? What about the Chesapeake and Delaware bays, which were already facing environmental challenges in their respective northern regions?

Posted on: 2011/12/18 7:37

From harlansburg
KeithS, yes, I've often wondered about the chesapeake and I'm surprised we aren't hearing more from the groups that watch out over it. hopefully nothing bad ever happens, the bay is a true treasure.
now I want some crabs!!

Posted on: 2011/12/18 8:19

From SE PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
From the same web page you took your fire picture from:
(btw, I took my pic myself)

Benefits of Forest fires
Without forest fires, the build up of vegetation in a forest may prevent certain seeds
from germinating and prevent the growth of new trees. Forests that do not have a
regular occurrence of a fire have no way of destroying some of the thick vegetation
that that grows, therefore causing a major problem. The forest grows extremely
dense and become a massive source of fuel for future fires, making fires that
will burn much hotter and more destructive to the environment. Yet, but not least,
forest fires open the forest floor which allows sunlight in for more growth of different species, and the ash left behind puts plenty of nutrients into the soil.

Except for allowing the sun to shine in...clear cutting provides none of these benefits.

Tom, I appreciate the benefits of forest fires and am not equating them to clear cutting. Fires of any magnitude are not a factor in Pa. The forestry services in Pa do use clear cutting as a tool across most of our forests.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 9:49

From Lansdale
"now I want some crabs!!"

On a table outside at the shore w/ some beers.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 10:02

From Greensburg, PA
Aaaaaaaaaanyway...

While I would normally (jokingly) consider Ohio a dump. Really? Who's idea was this? Lets just dig a hole! What could happen?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011 ... -aquiver-over-quakes.html

Posted on: 2011/12/18 15:46

From Reading
Tom stop trying to scare people. So what if a few houses fall down. We will be able to build in those areaa in another 100 years after the earth stops shaking. So a few people become homeless and we pollute the groundwater in these areas. It's all worth it for our greater good!

Posted on: 2011/12/18 20:59

From Greensburg, PA
The funniest part is, "hey, don;t worry. We will recover 80% of everything we send down a well. But then we're gonna turn around and send it down another hole in Ohio to dispose of it." And people are OK with this.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 21:45

From Dallastown, PA
A few weeks ago there was an action alert regarding the proposal to use the drilling fluids as a "dust suppressor" on dirt roads and for ice melting during the winter....in Pa.

It is obvious these companies are having a hard time finding places to dispose of this hazardous waste. Yet it continues to accumulate while they scramble for a solution.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 22:16

From Lansdale
Anyone remember asbestos?
Eventually, the entire US will be able to pay for the SUPERDUPER Fund site formerly known as Pennsylvania.
Corbett sure blew this one.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 5:55

From E-Town and Germania
I spent the weekend at my place near Germania in Potter. Everyplace I went I saw stakes along the roads and fluorescent tape in the bushes, marking where seismic testing is to be done. Around Germania crews were deploying what had to be miles of cable to do the testing. I have a real bad feeling about the coming year. This looks to be the beginning of the end. Oh and I'll bet they leave the stakes and tape when they're done, just to add another eyesore to the whole mess. Nothing like driving around the woods and seeing fluorescent tape waving in the wind everywhere. Bastards.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 11:42

From Lancaster County
Quote:

salvelinus wrote:
I spent the weekend at my place near Germania in Potter. Everyplace I went I saw stakes along the roads and fluorescent tape in the bushes, marking where seismic testing is to be done. Around Germania crews were deploying what had to be miles of cable to do the testing. I have a real bad feeling about the coming year. This looks to be the beginning of the end. Oh and I'll bet they leave the stakes and tape when they're done, just to add another eyesore to the whole mess. Nothing like driving around the woods and seeing fluorescent tape waving in the wind everywhere. Bastards.

Get some fluorescent tape; grab some more stakes; have a little fun leading them to a different test site Bury a few charges and selectively set them off when they do their testing. Monkey Wrench Gang, anyone?

Posted on: 2011/12/19 21:01

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com