Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: could we, would we and should we?

From lancaster county
sorry if i sounded like i snapped on this one. i know my viewpoints are on the extremist side but my hearts in the right place.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 17:51

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
sorry if i sounded like i snapped on this one. i know my viewpoints are on the extremist side but my hearts in the right place.

I've been called an extremist a few times too.

It sounds like you are interested in particular goals on particular streams. Can you give us any details? It's hard to evaluate without specifics.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 23:51

From lancaster county
basically any stream on the natural reproduction list....that has wild brrok trout that are not class a. but lets narrow the field. mostly streams in lebanon, york and lancaster counties. some people dont realize that brook trout in these areas are in extreme danger due to farming, development and harvesting. i would like to see these streams repaired, protected and with new regulations. its almost like these trout should be on a endangered species list. now i know thats not possible with out detecting a new strain of brook trout, but what happens when there gone?

troutbert, thankws for understanding

Posted on: 2006/12/6 17:37

From Manheim, PA
I understand what you'r saying. There are 5 or 6 "natural reproduction" streams around me and as far as I know TU has never (N E V E R!!) worked on a stream of this size. (2'-3' wide, middle of nowhere, minimal if any native brookies present but could support a nice poulation with it's clean, clear water is helped with deeper pools, ect)
These are things I have also wondered while fishing these small, sometimes nameless streams.

Posted on: 2006/12/11 19:26

From Lewistown
Personally, I think you guys are on to something. But... if no one wantes to help you, not even TU, then I say a couple of days next summer and do it your self (position rocks, deepen pools, move saplings to create cover). Then give that stream a year and return next year for your own personal Class A that everyone doesn't think holds brookies. Besides you put the time in, who do you think should get the spoils........?

If I had a stream around my land, I would have done it years ago.

Posted on: 2006/12/12 16:50

From lancaster county
thanks MKern but at this point its just a discussion. i cant just work on a stream though. a side from clean-up, changing pools and stream habitat with out the proper plans and orginazations can lead to hefty fines and penaltys. i just wondered if its something to bring up in the future. i guess the first question to ask is why is the trout pop so low. like nitrate in headwaters, or holding water, or not enough food. to see if the problem can even be fixed. just imagine it though. all the streams on the natural reproduction list being class a. that would be amazing.

Posted on: 2006/12/12 19:20

I know one thing putting in structure doesn't do anything except cause the group putting it in to throw good money after bad. It is a very expensive proposition to put manmade devises into trout streams and over time they all need repairs.
I view the streams differently than most people, given time they heal themselves, but sometime they need help. Remove channel blocks, remove berms along banks, or at least break through them, plant trees and close some of the forest roads.
I'm not comfortable with putting a block in to keep browns and rainbows out, I think we should be doing more to expand brookie range, like move the browns and rainbows out completely. But that is me. If you limit brookies to headwater streams there will never be any large brookies.
You can try liming streams with low T-Alk but you only risk making more brown trout water, if you don't do it wisely. In a perfect world we'd never try to enhance brown trout water, we'd spend our time working on brookies streams. But that's just me

Posted on: 2006/12/13 9:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com