Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: bellefonte hatchery

From Lancaster County
Troutbert,
My understanding of the hatcheries is that their water sources included the creeks, springs by the creeks, AND wells (see, for instance http://fishandboat.com/images/fisheries/fcs/bellefonte-sfh.htm) and all three Spring Creek watershed hatcheries list production wells as a water source. The water from the wells is going to increase the net volume of water in the streams, although water budgets are interesting to say the least in karst topography. I thought the OP line of reasoning may have been that the addition of water, which would increase flows, offset the pollution those sources made.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 18:01

Edited by salmonoid on 2013/11/3 18:32:08

Water budgets in karst drainages are interesting. And I don't think that is possible to increase the net amount of water flowing out the mouth of Spring Creek, over time, by pumping from wells.

If you pump a particular quantity of water from a well for a hatchery, that increases flow into the stream at that point and time, but also reduces flow by that same quantity, from springs at other places and/or times.

Because when you pump water out of the limestone, you are intercepting flow that would flow out of other springs.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 19:46

From Lancaster County
Troutbert,

A lot depends on the depths of the wells. If they are shallow wells, then you are likely correct, because there is probably good play between the shallow aquifer and surface manifestation of the water (streams). If the wells are deeper, there may not be as good an interaction and it would be possible that the well pumps are moving water from one conduit (underground) to another (surface), which could potentially increase the flow of the stream. Water movement in karst terranes is an entirely different beast than it is in other sedimentary rocks (shale, sandstone, etc.). I've read studies where tracer dies were placed into limestone streams and they showed up miles away, on the other side of a mountain.

Science aside, I'm still curious about the exact mechanisms the OP thinks were enhanced by the sewage treatment plants and the fish plants, which ultimately benefited the stream. I can see that having a sewage treatment plant in place is better than having no plant in place (i.e treated effluent is better than raw sewage).

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:09

From State College PA
I think you are referring to me. I don't think, and have argued strongly to the contrary, that fish hatcheries benefit the streams.

I do believe the water treatment plants benefit the stream by
cleaning sewage and reducing phosphorous (major)
returning water that was was removed further upstream (minor, b/c water is just diverted) But humans need water.It's not the treatment plants fault

read the history of spring creek. Talk to locals who were around in the 60s-70s. These plants have done wonders

Posted on: 2013/11/7 13:12

From Johnstown, PA
JUSTjON .........beat me to it way back , i lived on Big Spring when they shut the hatchery down , the thing i remember most was running into this young fellow fishing who had lost his job as a result. A reporter from the Chambersberg area was there quite often during the pre-closing stages and if i'm not mistaken he was pres of the Watershed Assn. who imo are the main reason the hatchery is gone.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 7:13

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com