Winter salt

studiomule

studiomule

How much effect does all the salt and chemicals put on the roadways have on area streams? I'd think it would effect the fish less than the bug life. Would a winter with less storms lead to better hatches because of less disruption of the ecosystem?

Good question - I'm not sure the answer. I believe there's been some reasearch on this.

http://www.ecostudies.org/images/newsletter/winter_2005.pdf

1. It has an effect.
2. I'm not sure.
3. Possible, but doubtful. It's probably less runoff and more accumulation in soils surrounding roads. So, getting worse over time, not a "flush" of salt. A series of light winters in a row may decrease the rate at which it gets worse, but not make it better.

Thanks for the insightful, and depressing article pcray. I wouldn't have guessed that the salt levels would remain high all year.

It dissolves in water. Most water goes underground. Rocks and soil "filter" it, and slowly but surely, that "filter" is getting clogged wih salt.

I'm sure there's some runoff, but much of it is a groundwater problem.

The bad thing is I'm not sure what you can do about it. The alternatives are still salts. And I would never oppose salting of roads, that'd be sacrificing people's lives so that my fishing can stay good, which doesn't seem right.

This year the effects should be minimal. I have seen the need for salt exactly three times. Probably does more harm to roadside vegetation.

Interesting topic, I have pondered this myself recently as I have fished over olive hatches during the past two snowfalls we've had in Scpa. One particular run I was fishing actually parallels the road so closely that I observed salt being thrown into the stream! Interestingly enough this particular stretch also has the densest hatches I encounter on the entire stream, so it countered my thoughts of harmful effects, but I still can't imagine its a good thing.

I don't think it has much affect. Salts are naturally occurring substances that can be found in the soils and rocks everywhere.

Besides, "we" have been salting roads for decades and there have been no fish kills attributed to the salt.

Salt has little detrimental effect on salmonoids. Because they are anadromous species (sea run) they have a tolerance for salt. In fact salt is the first choice to calm stressed fish in a hatchery environment. In sufficient doses it reduces the metabolism of stressed fish from reduced DO or temperature spikes.

I can say that when salt dosing is used that I have never seen minnow or bug life killed but the crayfish climb the walls to get out of it.

Years ago at a meeting of the Environmental Committee PA TU, we discussed this very issue, and the conclusion was we didn't really know. That's my recollection, it's not from note I took. But this is certainly bad news.
Another note, up near the camp I belong to while walking along a road I noticed what looked like coal chips along the side of the road, I think they must mix it with what they treat the roads with.

I'm sure leaky fuel, transmission, brake and other nasty chemicals that wash off the road ways are much more deleterious than NaCl.

That said, less salt of the roads can't really hurt.

So many things, I think, effect how the "hatch will be" this year that , while, like the lottery, it is fun to think about, it is equally "left to chance" what kind of year it will be for the QG's on &^%$ Creek/Run/Fork.

Fishidiot wrote:
Good question - I'm not sure the answer. I believe there's been some reasearch on this.

This topic came up a couple years back and I remember finding a study. Bottom line is it is does not impact our trout unless a massive amount is dumped in at one spot. Remember rainbows and brookies evolved from anadromous species.

I didn't read the article, but know from doing water testing studies of a stream that runs along I-79 that the specific conductivity of this stream goes thru the roof during the winter from the salt.

Interesting that SC is one of the primary tests for Marcellus drilling water quality analysis...

franklin wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:

This topic came up a couple years back and I remember finding a study. Bottom line is it is does not impact our trout unless a massive amount is dumped in at one spot. Remember rainbows and brookies evolved from anadromous species.

From what I remember the study was done in the Adirondaks. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, the salt itself may not harm trout, but if it effects trout food, then it is certainly a consideration towards the health of our trout fisheries.

I don't know how severe of an impact it has, but I'd find it a worthwhile cause for study.

What salt? What winter? LOL! Pa DOT has huge stockpiles of it. Nary a plow truck has dumped more than one load this year.

Back