Wild Atlantic Salmon return to spawn in the Connecticut River

geebee

geebee

for the first time since 1991 and ironically 5 years after the end of the failed CT river Salmon stocking programme.

It just shows, there is always hope !

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2016/2/23/presumed-dead-wild-atlantic-salmon-return-to-connecticut-river.html#

That's great to hear! Hopefully someday eastern US streams will once again be home to the mighty Salmo salar.

Just so you know, Connecticut river was probably as far South as they were by the time white man arrived.

People have talked about reintroducing them into the Deleware, but it is mostly a pipe dream, and technically would be an introduction rather than a re-introduction.

They may have been that far south a few thousand years ago, but probably not in the last 500.

That said, glad to see this about the Connecticut river watershed.

I lived near there back in the early 80s.

the hudson is generally recognized as the southern limit for atlantic salmon

As per the researches The primary causes of climate change is the burning of fossil fuels, such as coal and oil, which release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere—mainly carbon dioxide. Other kind of human activities, such as deforestation and agriculture is also contribute to the propogation of greenhouse gases that cause climate change.While some of quantities of these gases are a naturally happening and becomes a critical part of Earth’s temperature control system, the atmospheric magnitude of CO2 did not rise above 300 parts per million between the advent of human civilization roughly 10,000 years ago and 1900. In current it is at about 400 ppm, a level not reached in more than 400,000 years.Increased in burning of fossil fuels contributes to climate change.

http://www.environmentalaffairs.tk/global.html

Right. So, the only logical answer is we quite burning fossil fuels, and quite farming. Instead, we return to our hunter gatherer roots and live in caves or build all our houses out of switch grass.

Right?

;-)

The real problem is there are too many people on this rock and humans are evil. I propose we all kill ourselves. I volunteer to go last and I'll make sure to go around and turn off all the lights.

So many other thread on here about this subject, why did you feel a need resurrect a discussion from March?

Back