Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Water rape

From Granville
Just to defend the use of the word rape a little here in this chosen usage I would like to point out a few listed definitions of the word that are found in the dictionary.

In the noun categorization definition 4 reads: an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation, violation.

Under the verb definition number 7: to plunder, despoil.
and number 8: to seize, take, or carry off by force.

My point? Being someone who loves literature and studied writing in college I think that it is a perfectly legitimate use of the word which helps to enrich our language and stories by having that word, and words like it, not being placed into only one tiny role while the rest of its definitions are cast to the side and forgotten. I also don't think a simple word should be upsetting as it is merely a means to describe what is horrible which is the action or act.

I hope this doesn't offend.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 20:33

From Nicholson PA
Looked around and found the WATER USE AND WATER RIGHTS IN PENNSYLVANIA a status report from the league of women voters of pa,Citizen Education Fund Common Ground Project on: "Water Resources Management for Pennsylvania's Future .(ITS DOOMED!)

Posted on: 2014/9/24 8:34

From SE PA
Quote:

melvinp wrote:
Looked around and found the WATER USE AND WATER RIGHTS IN PENNSYLVANIA a status report from the league of women voters of pa,Citizen Education Fund Common Ground Project on: "Water Resources Management for Pennsylvania's Future .(ITS DOOMED!)

Dated 1998. Is it still relevant?

http://wren.palwv.org/documents/WaterUse_000.pdf

Posted on: 2014/9/25 8:04

From Nicholson PA
Best I could find in the time frame I have.Thanks for the hookup on this franking not very computer savey.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 8:25

From LV
Quote:

sarce wrote:
Am I the only one bothered by the overuse of the term "rape" when it comes to environmental issues?

Archaic use of the word and not appropriate now.
But Pat is right, it's really not an issue, likely that drought is and wells, but wells to feed an insatiable appetite for more water and irresponsible use of water.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 16:55

From Nicholson PA
2 more water removal site this time on martins creek witch feeds in to the Tunkhannock creek in Nicholson pa(Wyoming county)That's 9 total.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 15:20

From Nicholson PA
Water used in natural gas production Susquehanna river main stem 3,500,204,977 Wyalusing Creek 844,954,917 Tunkhannock Creek 789,601,068 Gallons 2008 to 2013

Posted on: 1/25 14:20

From Northern VA
Not trying to defend fracking but those numbers above are meaningless. For that time period, what percentage of the total flow in those bodies of water was used? Sure it's a lot of gallons, but what's actually flowing in those rivers could dwarf that amount. I'm betting less than one percent.

Posted on: 2/1 10:28

Farmer Dave said: I can't say I was particularly "bothered" by it this time because misuse of words is so common these days.

Glad I am not the only one who notices such things. Misuse of the word "issue" as a substitute for "problem" would be a great example.

Posted on: 2/2 12:13

From Granville
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Farmer Dave said: I can't say I was particularly "bothered" by it this time because misuse of words is so common these days.

Glad I am not the only one who notices such things. Misuse of the word "issue" as a substitute for "problem" would be a great example.

Once again, that is not another misuse of a word. It depends on what the problem is and "issue" may be a very fitting word. By the modern dictionary neither one of these words or the usage is deemed archaic. Yes, I understand what your average person takes them to mean but that doesn't mean that using them this way is wrong.....it isn't.

Posted on: 2/2 12:46

From Granville
And I only make this point because i have a degree in English/creative writing. Using words this way is what makes language poignant and what also allows for expression.

Posted on: 2/2 12:48

Expression and clear communication don't necessarily go hand in hand. Issues and problems are not synonymous and for good reason. An issue is something that is debatable; a problem is not.

Posted on: 2/2 19:45

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Expression and clear communication don't necessarily go hand in hand. Issues and problems are not synonymous and for good reason. An issue is something that is debatable; a problem is not.

That would depend on your point of view. If it's a problem for one person but another doesn't see it as a problem, it's an issue.

Posted on: 2/2 20:17

From Nicholson PA
I bet that people would be freaking if they where taking that much water out of places like the lackawanna,Little J,fishing creek and valley.If i could i would change the heading but i cant so be it.

Posted on: 2/5 15:57

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com