HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: WINDMILLS II

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

jrcll wrote:
i have both a nuke plant and a coal fired plant 6 miles from my house both are operated by first energy, there have been problems with particle fall out from the coal plant, leaving a black dust on the houses and cars, i worked temporarily at the nuke plant and talking to some of the engineers they mentioned about in the possibilty of nuke plants on a smaller scale ,ones that would`nt require large amounts of water to operate

I read the first line and into my mind popped "Beaver County"!

Posted on: 2009/12/23 16:57

From Greensburg, PA
No point in analyzing the pics. They are google image finds. Pick your own images of each and make the same comparison. BTW the pic doesn't show the parade of coal trucks arriving from every direction on a 24/7 basis.

Posted on: 2009/12/23 17:00

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

fritz wrote:

As far as the dams upstate--capital costs may outweigh the amount of mws they would produce. A bigger issue might be access to the grid--just guessing.

My guess is that the water levels fluctuate too much to be able to count on sufficient flows. Not much of a snow pack like out west. I think that's what someone told me when I asked a similar question once.

Posted on: 2009/12/23 17:02

From aliquippa
yes beaver county, and your right tom the consant flow of coal trucks, luckily they don`t use the road that goes by my house

Posted on: 2009/12/23 18:55

From Johnstown, PA
Interesting.............i thought the pics TomG posted were a great example of the issue , anyone into photography , there is a great shot from the Jerome area looking east , strip mine in the foreground windmills in the back , my daughter took some pics , it's a nice shot. One more thing , the folks who seem to be most vocal to me in this area , Central City/Shade/Cairnbrook , protesting the windmills while thousands , and i mean thousands of coal truck roll every day down rt160 , the dang protest signs are covered with coal dust , so is the snow , I DON'T GET IT..............UNLESS maybe the coal companies are behind the big outcry.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 6:13

From harlansburg
osprey, I think it's usually folks that either work for the coal companies, or have friends and family that work for them, mining, driving coal trucks, whatever. simple econimics and a bit of local pride. they fear those damn "greenies" are going to put them out of work. I don't think they understand that THE COAL WILL RUN OUT BEFORE THE WIND!! it won't happen in any of our lifetimes, but it will happen.
just think, in a million years, whatever lives on this planet will be able to dig us up and use US for fuel!!
BIG debates go on in WV over this topic, between mountain top removal or putting up windmills.
I think as technology moves forward, we will become more energy efficient and alternative forms of energy will be better developed and will be able to meet our needs.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 7:59

I was grouse hunting a spot with some windmills the other day and a guy driving a truck with replacement blades on it stopped to say hi to my dogs. I asked him what happened to the blades that they needed replacing, and he said that the "locals" all over the mountains are using them for target practice. At this point his face got so red I thought he was going to pop. No doubt he was embarrassed.

I thought to myself that this is the quintessential redneck activity: it combines guns and drinking and its goal is environmentally destructive.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 9:24

From Johnstown, PA
Had they not put these in former strip mines and fields , i mean if they were clearing forest to do it then i could see the protest , and i wouldn't like it myself although i can see where it could be done safely , taking the right precautions , minimal clearing of trees , carefull of silt run off etc. Do any of you know if they are clearing forest anywhere to install these?

Posted on: 2009/12/25 17:15

In the Wyoming Valley, there are about 8-10 very large turbines bordering a game lands. They cut up the forest and put in maintenance roads-doesn't look too pretty on the satellite, and mud pouring off the mountain into the streams is substantial.

When you are in the game lands you can hear them from about a half a mile away. They are very annoying and kill the peace of the forest. If they miraculously produced much more energy, I'd be all for them, but at their current state, it's just another half measure. Maybe if we installed them all along the eastern seaboard it would make a serious dent.

There is no way, in my opinion, that all we have at this point is current nuclear, coal, and gas as our options. Start digging for answers.

Posted on: 2009/12/25 22:36

From Johnstown, PA
Brownout.........i would think that instead of tearing up forested land to install these , putting them up in water makes sense like putting them on strip mines and fields , in lakes , rivers and like you say in the ocean makes sense , plenty of wind along the seaboard too.

Posted on: 2009/12/26 7:45

Lakes and large reservoirs in Pa do produce some substantial winds. However, I'm not too sure how consistent they are. The Great Lakes is probably a whole nother ball game, and I would wager that they are probably modeling out the wind there.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 1:18

What may cost more to start up to be efficient may be what keeps us warm tomorrow. I'm for windmills not how they are subsidized. What I don't like is that the government can tell me what contractors I can use to get a tax break for spending my own money to build something energy efficient. So much for saving anything. They will find a way to tax me for the saving I manage to squeeze out of that as well.

Anyone put money away for your kids college education when they did the lock in the price of college now program. Taxing that too. Gosh I sound like LJ.

LJ no offense.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 17:50

From Johnstown, PA
YoughRiverGuide...........I'm by no means one of the "Politically correct" crowd but i do think it's a little intolerant to classify all "Rednecks" as alchoholic , gun toting , environmentaly destructive people , there are those of us who take pride in our "Redneckedness" i guess the determination lies in the eyes of the beholder , all i can ask is that you take a little closer look before you slap a label on anyone or group of people , there are groups of folks who many may classify as rednecks that are huge advocates of fly fishing and we would certainly be wrong to alienate them.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 8:06

From Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Area
I'm not getting involved with this verbally....... But
http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/in ... tive_Code=PA31F&re=1&ee=1

http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/

http://www.windenergysolutions.nl/

I've done the research and the math. its clean and efficent. and average household uses 400 kw/hr a month. They have small residental turbines that produce 80-500 Kw/hrs. Your house can sustain its self, but ordances stop it on residents. Right now the only way is if you are zoned for agriculture.
When i spoke with PPL on avg. you pay.199 cents a kw/hr.
Can't Ocean waves and tides turn something. Can't the heat lost in your chimney turn somethng. All you need is something to spin to create electricty. what about water flowing threw pipes ? This has been stewing in my brain for 2 years now. there a lot more. but i have too keep somethings to myself.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 23:00

From Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Area
By the way the power produced by the 12 you see heaed south on 309 that energy goes to florida...!!!!!!!??!!!!?????

Posted on: 2010/1/12 23:04

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com