Valley Creek Sewer Break

F

Farley

Bad news, The Sewer main that had a small break in February near Washington's headquarters(252 and 23) ruptured this morning. It says 4-5 million gallons has spilled so far and it is not contained.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9470771

If this is at the intersection of 252 and 23, this is worse news for the Schuylkill than VC, no? Or does the main travel a similar course as the stream and it is a threat to rupture further upstream as well?

Someone just sent me a text about this. apparently it's pretty bad.

I didnt get a chance to look into that much but I just heard the news on XPN when driving home today. Thats pretty sad! http://phoenixville.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/5m-gallons-of-raw-sewage-spills-into-valley-creek

Not good!!!!!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9470771

Saw it on the local news. Now, after 3 of these incidents, they are talking about re-doing the whole sewer line. I feel bad for Valley Creek.

It is about 150 yds from where valley and the Schuykill have their confluence.

Anyone have any idea how close the spill was to the creek? 5 Million gallons sounds like total fish kill for that stream.

Same situation as the last break 2-3 weeks back. As I understand it, the have turned off the pump station to allow the sewage to overflow from an upstream manhole until the repair is made. That means it is overflowing up by the Turnpike bridge and flowing thru the Park and into the Schuykill. So instead of of a few hundred yards impacted...its like a mile +..

Geez. I hope you understand wrong, Andy! What sense would that make!?

I might be mistaken, but I thought it was down by 23 and 252. I tried to go down there tonight but the traffic is diverted at the covered bridge so you have to go down Yellow Springs road. But your saying even though the break is down stream they are relieving the pressure upstream and pumping effluent into the stream for quite a distance. Really bad situation.

Sas, I think I recall others saying you have to shut the flow off upstream to perform the repairs. It still has to go somewhere though.

Hopefully whoever maintains the sewer system has to restore the creek to the same condition as before the problem.

Sas/Andy - to make the repair they are shutting down the line to allow the sewage to overflow at a distant upstream point. This was how the last break was handled. Not sure if this is the only option. I had written about the previous spill and wondered about the use of pump trucks to haul the sewage from the breakage point but it may be a insurmountable volume . There issues that need to be raised and discussed as to how the response to these events are handled but I really don't like the diverting of the sewage upstream. I'd rather they dig an open pit and allow it to overflow near the break or pump it into tankers.

If it can lose 4,000,000 -5,000,000 gallons that would be a lot of trucks. They have no choice but to let the stream handle it from the upstream shut-off.

What a shame. It could take years to recover.

GC

What a terrible shame!

Some bad news.
For those of you who live in that neck of the woods and have close contact with Valley Cr....please keep us informed - links to local media, photos, and official pronouncements from state agencies or TU etc are particularly appreciated.

This is a real shame, I live 25 minutes from the stream and I have fished there many times. I guess time will tell, how the stream fares. So far this stream has been like a Timex watch. We will have to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

its not a shame, its an utter utter disgrace.

i hope the landowners and various TU's sue the *** off them

Well they probably can't have the crap sued out of them - it's already floating downstream.

Back