HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Valley Creek Sewer Break

From Philadelphia PA
What a terrible shame!

Posted on: 3/19 8:44
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Gettysburg
Some bad news.
For those of you who live in that neck of the woods and have close contact with Valley Cr....please keep us informed - links to local media, photos, and official pronouncements from state agencies or TU etc are particularly appreciated.

Posted on: 3/19 9:58

From Southeast Pa.
This is a real shame, I live 25 minutes from the stream and I have fished there many times. I guess time will tell, how the stream fares. So far this stream has been like a Timex watch. We will have to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Posted on: 3/19 10:49

From Landenberg, PA
its not a shame, its an utter utter disgrace.

i hope the landowners and various TU's sue the ass off them

Posted on: 3/19 11:27

From Philadelphia PA
Well they probably can't have the crap sued out of them - it's already floating downstream.

Posted on: 3/19 11:46
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Northern VA
With all due respect, why sue? It's aging infrastructure, sh!t happens. Why throw lawsuits on top of the already enormous costs of replacing/updating this stuff. I certainly don't understand everything at play or how all this works, just don't see why there always has to be a lawsuit for an accident. Maybe to motivate people to replace old sewer lines? Just wondering what the point is.

This really sucks though for those who fish that stretch. Hopefully things are back to normal in a few years (assuming there actually is a total kill- has that been observed yet?).

Posted on: 3/19 12:02

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
It's aging infrastructure, sh!t happens.

You can say that again. Hope those that are repairing it really know their sh!t.

Ah jeez, these jokes could go on for ages.

Agree on the "why sue" aspect. Sue who? The municipality runs the sewage system? i.e. funded with tax money. So the local residents sue themselves? Or outsiders sue them so that they have less money available to put into infrastructure?

It's a real shame. And yeah, you have to move the outflow upstream or else you can't fix the thing when it's running. Just do it and get it done with ASAP. Pray the stream handles it ok. Make sure we do all that can be done with cleanup. And, since this has happened before, perhaps in the longer term we need to put a priority on some infrastructure upgrades in that area.

Posted on: 3/19 12:12

From Montgomery County
Valley Creek cured the cabin fever several times this winter. as if once wasn't bad enough this winter.

Posted on: 3/19 12:14

Yeah you guys are right, don't sue them, we'll just allow them to handle the situation in a terrible manner over and over and over again and shrug our shoulders. They diverted the sewage a mile upstream instead of letting it flow from the break point down? If thats not complete disrespect and disregard for the steam i dunno what is

They should be sued for as much money as possible along with the threat that next time this happens they will be sued for maximum dollar amount again, and next time it happens, sued for as much as possible again, until they understand that it'd be in their best interest financially to fix the problem. Clearly they are just cheaping out with half ass fixes hence the repeated issues. Sometimes you gotta make people do the right, most of the time actually and this is no different

Posted on: 3/19 13:18

Quote:

They diverted the sewage a mile upstream instead of letting it flow from the break point down?

Exactly how would YOU fix a broken pipe that still had water flowing in it?? You don't just dig a 5,000,000 gallon hole and put sewage into it. Also, it was flowing at 5,000 gallons/minute. At that rate it would fill up the largest tanker in less than three minutes. So what's your solution?

I agree that it's a huge failure on the part of the twp. Condition and capacity of these aging sewer systems never seems to be an issue when they want to add a new subdivision...

Posted on: 3/19 13:39

From PA and NH
Knee jerk internet reactions have little to do with real life infrastructure problems. It's a smelly shame but the creek will survive.

Posted on: 3/19 13:48

"So what's your solution?"

Never claimed to have one, its not my job nor my profession to repair broken sewage pipes. But someone gets paid to do it, and they arent doing their job and they need to be held accountable. Isnt this the second or third time its happened in the same spot?

Also, couldnt it just be turned off/diverted further up the line someplace and let it drain from the same spot til the pipe is empty? Again, i have no knowledge, just axing

Posted on: 3/19 14:24

From Cambria County
Aging infrastructure is not because someone is not doing their job. While these things suck, it's not necessarily anybody's fault. Things wear out and break. With the unusually harsh winter, I'm sure the ground was heaving an already weakened pipe and something had to give. As unfortunate as it is, these things are bound to happen with the infrastructure nightmare we have in this country.

Posted on: 3/19 14:49

Blueheron, said it best.

Yes it's unfortunate, but sh!t does happen. Suing is not going to solve the problem, just like it rarely solves any problem. It just makes one entity happy and punishes the masses in the long run.

Timmy, they need to get the flow away from the break, just as you'd shut off the water to fix a leaking pipe in your house.
I'd venture a guess there are not that many valves built into the system because it's, obviously, an older design (lax environmental laws). I'd also guess the design could be over volume (population boom since it was built), and maybe it can't be totally shut off.

Disclaimer: I've never seen the stream in question, or lived in a place with public water, but I've done some residential plumbing.

Posted on: 3/19 15:08

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

Railking wrote:
Aging infrastructure is not because someone is not doing their job. While these things suck, it's not necessarily anybody's fault. Things wear out and break. With the unusually harsh winter, I'm sure the ground was heaving an already weakened pipe and something had to give. As unfortunate as it is, these things are bound to happen with the infrastructure nightmare we have in this country.

Good post.

I did hear mention of replacing the entire sewer line. Like everything, it's all about the money. They must have just put a bandaid on that thing the last time it failed. Very sad.

Posted on: 3/19 15:41

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com