HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Valley Creek Sewer Break

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

Railking wrote:
Aging infrastructure is not because someone is not doing their job. While these things suck, it's not necessarily anybody's fault. Things wear out and break. With the unusually harsh winter, I'm sure the ground was heaving an already weakened pipe and something had to give. As unfortunate as it is, these things are bound to happen with the infrastructure nightmare we have in this country.

well we need to be pre-emptive and not wait til things break.

isn't a private company responsible for this pipe ? or the Town ?

either way, someone didn't do their job.

its penny piching for $$$ again, same as the telegraph poles carrying power lines - no other developed country in the world loses as much power as the US does due to winter storms, other northern nations put their powerlines underground.

its so short sighted.

and i fail to see how five million gallons of raw sewage is not a health risk, given the birds and critters that will spread e-coli spores far and wide, plus the rotting feces etc left high up on banks, drains etc.

a bunch of BS from start to finish.

and not the first time either.

Posted on: 3/19 15:48

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Aging infrastructure is not because someone is not doing their job.

Sure it is.

As long as we continue kicking these cans down the road, either thru the choices we make or thru those we elect to represent us, we only have ourselves to blame.

Posted on: 3/19 15:50

From Philadelphia PA
That same section was broke not to long ago - and now it's broke again. Same Exact Location. Just different Sh**y pipes.

Posted on: 3/19 16:01
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Cambria County
Things cost money. Our cities, counties, states, and our nation as a whole is broke. Everybody wants the problems fixed, yet nobody wants their taxes raised. So, who pays for these massive infrastructure improvements? While a sewer may seem like a pretty simple thing to fix, they are elaborate and span vast areas. They will fix this force main and it will rupture in its next weakest spot down the line. As much as some people don't want to believe it, some things are unpreventable with budgets public works department have to work with.

Posted on: 3/19 16:22

From Portage, PA
Its ok Obama will fix this. Have fait Railking :)

Posted on: 3/19 16:27

From down the block from the Letort.
Well, you're making some assumptions there using the term 'everybody.'

I for one, if I knew a tax increase would go towards effective and efficient upgrades to our infrastructure, would support it. It's the smart thing to do, and unfortunately, I'm sure I'm in a very small minority in this regard. So we'll just have to keep on buying bigger band aids and get even more used to the phrase 'nobody could have predicted...' as more of these 'unpreventable accidents' happen. The rest of this discussion is probably best left to the OT crowd...

Posted on: 3/19 16:34

Maintaining buried infrastructure is not easy: you just can't shut off a sewer for preventive maintenance. There simply isn't any bypass available. Plus there are many miles of piping in one leg of a system, roads need to be shutdown, traffic diverted, etc., so what do you propose? This isn't a simple three hour shutdown it's a long term project.

Case in point - the NYC aqueduct system. Tunnel #1 built 1917, tunnel #2 built 1935, tunnel #3 BEGAN construction in 1970 and is not expected to be completed until 2020. When completed it will allow tunnels #1 and #2 to be shut down for maintenance FOR THE FIRST TIME.

It is unfortunate but there is no practical solution. New infrastructure needs to be built in order to replace the old infrastructure. Until then, it is what it is and whatever is going to going to happen will happen and you really can't blame anyone.

Posted on: 3/19 17:53

From Couldn't Care Less
Robert Bonney, a conservation officer for Fish and Boat, said no fish have died (as of this AM) and the water being so cold is a positive cause it's holding more oxygen. Not sure how he knows if any fish died but from what I read he seemed not as sure abt the effect on insects.

Posted on: 3/19 17:56

From Chadds Ford, PA
Same report says the Brown trout are spawning now. Guess they mean that the eggs are hatching now which is true.

Posted on: 3/19 18:19

From PA and NH
I've always thought that the fish could survive some sewage releases, the insects however , don't have the size to survive much mistreatment but what they lack in size they make up for in numbers.
The creek will not suffer permanent damage from this event, it is not an extremely clean waterway in the best of times, too close to too many people.

Posted on: 3/19 18:49

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
EP wrote:

Same report says the Brown trout are spawning now. Guess they mean that the eggs are hatching now which is true.

EP .. u think the creek makes it out ok?

Posted on: 3/19 19:02

From Chadds Ford, PA
I think it will be fine. The sections we fish will not be impacted at all. I rarely, if ever, go near the Park.

Posted on: 3/19 19:07

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
its at the bottom of the river probably a half a mile down stream from where people who fish there actually fish. its going to be fine. the skuke has seen worse to so not worried one bit.

Posted on: 3/19 23:39

From Chester County
Just a general statement about infrastructure and sewage treatment in particular. I live in Chester County. Here, the number of new housing developments and overall population increases in the past decade or more is mind boggling. With new housing comes new revenue for the town, township and county in the form of property taxes.

Nearly all of the water treatment plants were built a long time ago. Many/most of these facility are operating way over capacity. The same can be said of the two lane roads leading to and from these mega-developments.

Anyway, the townships, towns and counties seem to love the new revenue but do not do enough to invest in infrastructure to support a higher population density.

Maybe the best thing we can all do is push the politicans and planners to spend a proportionate amount of the new tax revenues to update the infrastructure to accommodate the increase in demands on it before approving more housing developments.

Cross your fingers that Valley Creek and all it's critters and fish will survive yet another assault.

Posted on: 3/20 8:11

From Valley Forge, Pa
That would be a great thing to do but a political Hot Potato. The demands on infrastructure are very high and the nature of Chester county makes it difficult. Revamping roads and sewer/water systems are very costly. For example the North side of Valley Creek, near the park ,is zoned R2 (100,000 sq ft) so the density is low and it would be very expensive to put in sewers. That leaves in ground waste remediation which is not the best idea.

You are also faced with a big problem in some locals where very large developers can tie up small townships in litigation when they try to stop rezoning, ask for infrastructure improvements, or fight increased densities. It is a bit of a mismatch.

Posted on: 3/20 8:29

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com