Trout Unlimited is a "fringe environmental group"

Wouldn't expect anything less from Corbett's goosestepping zombies. Conservation & resource management isn't a concept they can grasp. To them it's all about recreation as consumption.

All I can say is Corbett has to go. He surely doesn't have the better interest of the enviornment in mind. He's an oil/gas guy, it's that simple. Can't stand him!

It makes sense to me. They are taking TU at face value. I mean how many legislators are interested in trout fishing? They are ignoring the environmental benefits effected by TU and similar groups.

They need to study Teddy Roosevelt.

As a Republican, I do not think we have anyone who can unseat potential Two-term Tom. But, Democrats, surely you can come up with someone who can defeat this pawn of the Marcellus drilling corps.

^ Jay Paterno...

Contact your state reps. Tell them how you feel. They work for you. You'd be surprised what a few phone calls and emails can do. Corbett isn't any worse than Rendell was. The legislature is who you want to lean on.

This has been discussed at some length here. Basically it starts at Post #36. I've made my views known in this previous thread.

I took the time to send our Gov Corbett and email concerning his horrid environmental record. This is one republican who will be voting democrat this fall. The election cannot happen soon enough.

It's not just Corbett, it's the entire Republican party, it thinks that resources are there for their friends to consume, the environment be damned.
I don't like 'corbett the corrupt' and will vote for a Democrat. But I also think the legislature needs to be vote out. And they need term limitations.

turkey wrote:
Contact your state reps. Tell them how you feel. They work for you. You'd be surprised what a few phone calls and emails can do. Corbett isn't any worse than Rendell was. The legislature is who you want to lean on.

I would surmise that's exactly what the pro-stocking crowd has been doing. If your constituents are calling you complaining that the PF&BC is placing streams on the Class A list and no longer stocking them and they aren't going to buy a license as a result do you only have an issue with this if you're a Republican?

I watched some of the meeting on PCN. I was shocked at how pro-stocking the legislators that I saw question Arway were but again, if they believe that the people who put them in office want this, what are they going to do? Tell them to pound sand?

it's one thing to listen to your constituents, it's another to ignore sound scientific facts and make poor environmental decisions. While on one hand the reps are in place to do as the people say, they are also there to safeguard our resources(read the state constitution!) for future generations.
It's all about me me me, the hell with the consequences.

bottom line, most people are selfish pigs, and most of the gov is elected from this group.

seems we have learned NOTHING from the past mistakes.

At work we go by the saying ABC 2014.

(Anybody But Corbett 2014)

I think it's Tom Wolf saying he will push for a severance tax on the gas industry.
It's a start.
now we need to see if he knows what a trout is.

turkey wrote:

Joe Emerick is my my rep and we did meet with him. He basically gave us the party line and also wants to eliminate the endangered species because it hampered business growth.

My local paper had a few articles this week about fracking and the money lost from not imposing an extraction tax. Today they reported that job growth has not been what the state stats showed. It is way less.

They all have to go.

Rep. Maloney called them "A bunch of ideologues" Lke people who know something about a topic, issue or specialty. Like Jula Childs would have been a French Cuisine 'ideologue'. If you shake your head ruefully at the state of our fish and game commission, ESPECIALLY our game commission, you can look to statements, ideas and people like this. I see the scientists and policy people whip-sawed by collective whims of the loudest and often, dumbest people who can push them around.

Lots of people on here fish streams such as Big Spring, Letort, Falling Spring, Fishing Creek, Penns Creek, Little Juniata, Spring Creek, Slate Run, Cedar Run, Lyman Run.

All streams managed under "fringe" fisheries management principles.

Many on here also like to fish unstocked wild trout streams. Many of those streams were on the stocking list in the past. Now many of them are unstocked, because of "fringe" fisheries management ideas. Would you fish them if they were stocked?

Not that many people on here fish Kish Creek for example. If it was managed under "fringe" principles, many more of you would fish it.

Most of the flyfishers on here who like fishing small, forested freestoners tend to go to streams that are unstocked, i.e. under "fringe" management.

troutbert wrote:
Lots of people on here fish streams such as Big Spring, Letort, Falling Spring, Fishing Creek, Penns Creek, Little Juniata, Spring Creek, Slate Run, Cedar Run, Lyman Run.

All streams managed under "fringe" fisheries management principles.

Many on here also like to fish unstocked wild trout streams. Many of those streams were on the stocking list in the past. Now many of them are unstocked, because of "fringe" fisheries management ideas. Would you fish them if they were stocked?

Not that many people on here fish Kish Creek for example. If it was managed under "fringe" principles, many more of you would fish it.

Most of the flyfishers on here who like fishing small, forested freestoners tend to go to streams that are unstocked, i.e. under "fringe" management.

PATU boasts about 12,000 members. Some of whom don't fish. But others who flyfish or target wild fish on these streams may not be TU members.

PF&BC Sells (guessing here conservatively) 500,000 trout stamps.

That's 2.4%

Many of the PATU members couldn't care less if fish are wild. Subtract them because they would support stocking over modest wild trout pops and you probably drop it to below 2%.

I'd call that fringe.

I am not saying that the stance isn't noble and justified through science. It is...but that doesn't make the fringe an larger. Just more glittery.

So we got a pretty good thing going considering our percentage of total trout stamp sales.

Maurice wrote:
PATU boasts about 12,000 members. Some of whom don't fish. But others who flyfish or target wild fish on these streams may not be TU members.

PF&BC Sells (guessing here conservatively) 500,000 trout stamps.

That's 2.4%

Many of the PATU members couldn't care less if fish are wild. Subtract them because they would support stocking over modest wild trout pops and you probably drop it to below 2%.

I'd call that fringe.

I am not saying that the stance isn't noble and justified through science. It is...but that doesn't make the fringe an larger. Just more glittery.

So we got a pretty good thing going considering our percentage of total trout stamp sales.

I understand your statement Maurice but I think the remark I highlighted is off-base. I think that many of our members DO CARE if the fish are wild. That's kind of the whole idea of our organization, to protect restore and conserve coldwater habitat for WILD trout and salmonids.

Sure, most of our members, including me, fish quite a bit in stocked rivers & streams but I don't think there's many of us out there that joined TU because of the stocked trout. The reason most of us join TU is because we actually care a little more about the protection and conseervation of trout and trout streams as a wild entity that is being lost.

Back