Tire Dump On Native Stream

H

Huckleberryruns

Decided to break away from the home office early this week, and hit a small stream :)

One of the few rises I had all night, was 50 feet from this tire dump in a state forest. I counted over 15, some freshly rolled down the bank, some still on the rim.

I was under the impression tires were quite easy to get rid of, as new uses such as ground mulch for playgrounds have come about for them? Why must people do this?

This evening I wrote an email to both the bordering state park, as well as the state forest district, offering my time to see to it the tires are removed asap this week.

Four years ago, I found a complete subaru engine in a class A wilderness. Again, rolled down the bank. The question must be asked, why not sell it to a junkyard?

Has anyone else come across something similar?

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 17
Yes, about 10 years ago I encountered an engine block laying in the West Branch of Fishing Creek in Sullivan County. It had been pushed off of the Game Lands road (out of a pick-up I guess) down the embankment into the stream. Obviously the work of a local, which is really sad!

Huckleberryruns wrote:
Decided to break away from the home office early this week, and hit a small stream :)

One of the few rises I had all night, was 50 feet from this tire dump in a state forest. I counted over 15, some freshly rolled down the bank, some still on the rim.

I was under the impression tires were quite easy to get rid of, as new uses such as ground mulch for playgrounds have come about for them? Why must people do this?

This evening I wrote an email to both the bordering state park, as well as the state forest district, offering my time to see to it the tires are removed asap this week.

Four years ago, I found a complete subaru engine in a class A wilderness. Again, rolled down the bank. The question must be asked, why not sell it to a junkyard?

Has anyone else come across something similar?

There ARE a lot of slobs out there :-(

Good for you! (and the fish). Let us know how the whole thing turns out.

It is pretty common, unfortunately. Good for you for reporting it. There are lots of groups that do annual cleanups, such as TU chapters, watershed groups, conservancies etc. So there are people working on the other side of it.

I've encountered discarded tires in almost every patch of woods that I've hunted and fished.
When you replace them on your car, there is usually an old tire disposal fee of around 2-3 bucks each.
And I guess some people dump them to save a little money. Pretty sad

My guess is because tire companies can charge for disposal, pocket the money and just run into secluded areas and dump tires. Since it's in a State Forest report it to DCNR.
Laurel Run Along rt 115, it looks like a tire hauler dumped it's load down the road embankment.

Thats the engine block I found, however I think you were on painter run ( near west branch ) I helped remove that block.

Contact made this AM with district forest ranger, ( who surprisingly lives 5 minutes from me ). I am pleased an email sent late last night was followed up with a phone call at 9am.

We had a nice conversation, and he seemed eager to start the cleanup within the next 24-48 hours.

Nice work huckleberry.
Hopefully, they will be removed shortly.

Unfortunately, whenever I come across tires in the woods, I've also found old washers, refrigerators, and all other manner of discarded junk. And that makes cleanup a pretty big project
There are a lot of slobs around who think that our beautiful forests are just a big trash dump

Huck,
Good job. You'll find it is a never-ending job. PA Greenways cleaned up along a local stream a couple years ago, including probably 100 or more tires. Old tires are slowly reappearing in the areas from which they were removed. (I have brought several home to discard.) People, in general, are pigs.

I was thinking this afternoon, we really are the watchdogs on these little streams. Think of the miles we put in walking them! A hunter may cross it, but a fisherman covers every square foot. I have logged over 125 give or take miles this year, ( some on the same stream ). Regardless if we don't bring it to others attention, nobody likely will. :)

Huckleberryruns wrote:
Thats the engine block I found, however I think you were on painter run ( near west branch ) I helped remove that block.
The one I saw was off of Shingle Mill Rd, up towards the headwaters of the WB. This engine would have had to be winched up from the stream. The GL road (from where it was dumped) was up a very steep incline of about 40 feet.

We did winch it out, it was 3/4 of the way up the mountain road on painter run. Its sometimes confusing if you are on painter, or WB, they are quite close. Could have been a different engine, however what are the chances? :)

Unfortunately there are a small minority of people who have complete disregard for their environment. I have assisted on clean ups before and the most maddening part........why do they roll tires, engine blocks, and construction trash, DOWN the hill 200 yards! I wish these lazy pigs would at least leave the garbage along the roadside.

Huck, I guess that was the same engine then, my mistake. Either way, many thanks to you and your buds for getting it out of there! That's such a beautiful, fairly wild (WB) area that used to have great fishing. Another example of how stocking over wild trout puts an end to a great fishery.

"Some people have a deep abiding respect for the natural beauty that was once this country. Others don't."

"People start pollution. People can stop it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCKjaStFu0

wildtrout2 wrote:
Huck, I guess that was the same engine then, my mistake. Either way, many thanks to you and your buds for getting it out of there! That's such a beautiful, fairly wild (WB) area that used to have great fishing. Another example of how stocking over wild trout puts an end to a great fishery.

Yes, I fish the WB about once every other week, and it has been hurting from the stocking. I caught a holdover brookie in april where painter comes into the WB, then caught him again in the same hole 3 weeks ago ;-) Pointless story I know, but a cool one !

I have a good friend that's a NY DEC ranger, and while finding garbage dumped on state land is crappy, his favorite part is showing up at the persons house with a receipt found in the trash with their address on it. He's busting rate due to this is close to 99%.

The worst was a dead horse dumped off an overlook.

Dear Smike,

I get the PA Angler magazine and there is usally a note from a WCO two or three times a year that details a littering arrest based on mail found in the trash that was dumped.

When I lived in upstate NY the "locals" often complained about how the people from NYC drove up to the Catskills to dump old appliances, tires, and other types of household trash.

I used to just laugh when they said that because people that are too lazy to dispose of something properly are too lazy to load it up and truck it 3 hours to dump it.

999,999 times out of 1,000,000 the trash that is dumped in State Forests originates within 10miles of the dumping site. The same people who dump trash are the same people who move yard garbage closer to a stream as it approaches flood stage in hopes that it can become someone else's problem.

They're just lazy slobs.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Response this AM regarding aforementioned situation:

Thank you for the information. Our crew is working on getting the tires cleaned up. It is a shame that people would actually do such a thing. Our Rangers will also conduct an investigation to see if they can figure out who the culprit was. I do not recall having a problem in that particular spot before.

Thanks again,

Rich Glinski | District Forester

Back