Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

This is why it is cold

From bucks cty
This is why it is getting colder around the world and many more scientists are starting to question CO2's theoretical role in global warming.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/01apr_deepsolarminimum.htm

Posted on: 2009/4/2 8:04

Re: This is why it is cold

From Greensburg, PA
I'm sorry, where in there does it say the earth is cooling?

Posted on: 2009/4/2 9:05

From bucks cty
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
I'm sorry, where in there does it say the earth is cooling?

I didn't say the article did. I pointed the article out to show that sunspot activity is still at a low. There are many articles and papers which show a strong correlation between temperatures on earth and sun spot activity. This article only points out the shorter term 11 year cycles. There are also longer periodic cycles which also come into play. We are on a down trend on the longer term cycles as well.

I also noticed a NASA report recently (I'll have to try to find the link again) that shows a net gain in polar ice during the last 16 months or so.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 9:27

From Greensburg, PA
I guess that wouldn't be this one
NASA reports 2008 9th warmest year on record.

Or this one Sea Ice 2008.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 10:14

This thread might be better put in The OT Jam forum. I don't see anything related to how flyfishers can conserve streams and fish.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 11:45

From Monessen, PA
Actually the forum is entitled in such a way that the topic proposed by the post is germane. It may come as a surprise, but the term "conservation" has broader implications than just improving our fly fishing.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 14:23

From York
Seems like this topic would not be out of place here. A topic on global cooling/warming might lead to discussions about conserving energy (if you think that would help global warming). Energy efficient light bulbs or making your home "tighter" for example. I even know a guy that ditched his power lawn mower in favor of a reel mower to conserve energy (not his).

Posted on: 2009/4/4 20:59

From Dallastown, PA
OK since we are judging the post on its merit.....here is my take. Its environmental meaning sun spots affect the environment of the earth. but its not conservation because we have no control over it. It may have a correlation to the global warming/climate change issue but that was not cited in the article or in the post so its not really conservation if there is nothing to conserve.

But, I don't thnk it hurts here....and it sends TB around the bend. thats worth a few points.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 23:02

To Tabasco, Jack and company,

Good luck in your conservation campaign, conserving, ummm, whatever it is you are trying to conserve.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 10:07

From Monessen, PA
The planet, for all to enjoy, including folks who have never even held a fly rod.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 22:24

I just read the article again. If there is any conservation angle to that article, someone should be able to explain what it is.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 9:47

From Bozeman
Global warming always comes up in this forum. It is usually attributed to conservation issues, and some claim that it is related to the stuff discussed in the article. I think it fits fine here. At the very least, it should start some debate about the conservation side of the issue.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 9:59

From Monessen, PA
troutbert, contrary to your desires, not every discussion about the environment or trout fishing has to be post after post of people trying to pose as that best friend that the earth and its creatures ever had. Sometimes the topic relates to the environment and fishing in a way that elicits information and opinions from various viewpoints. The article related to the issue of climate, particularly how sun activity can effect warming/cooling trends. As with the broader issue of global warming, this may have implications for trout streams, particularly our sacrosanct wild trout. As with all threads in any forum, if it doesn't interest you, skip it. There is no question in my mind that it is as appropriate, and perhaps more appropriate, here as it would be in the off topic forum.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 11:33

Quote:

JackM wrote:
troutbert, contrary to your desires, not every discussion about the environment or trout fishing has to be post after post of people trying to pose as that best friend that the earth and its creatures ever had. Sometimes the topic relates to the environment and fishing in a way that elicits information and opinions from various viewpoints. The article related to the issue of climate, particularly how sun activity can effect warming/cooling trends. As with the broader issue of global warming, this may have implications for trout streams, particularly our sacrosanct wild trout. As with all threads in any forum, if it doesn't interest you, skip it. There is no question in my mind that it is as appropriate, and perhaps more appropriate, here as it would be in the off topic forum.

You are completely misrepresenting my posts. I was simply pointing out that a non-conservation post is in the conservation forum.

That's no different than other situations where posts are moved to their appropriate categories. But if the moderators are happy leaving an non-conservation post in the conservation category, that's fine.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 12:12

From Monessen, PA
I am happy and none of the others have moved it, so that is your answer.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 12:52

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com