HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Tell Pennsylvania Representatives that Anglers Oppose House Bill 1576

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Other than a reference to Pennsylvania as one of the states with coal plants to be shut down, where is the connection to mussels?

If there is a specific plant that was shut down, I'd be curious which one. Just like the Massauga in AZ absurdity should be called out in our politicians, so should tilting at mussel-shutdown windmills (er, plants).

I understand your point that coal plants are being shutdown, but it doesn't necessarily follow that invoking mussels is a smokescreen for that happening, with this bill. In other words, coal plants being shutdown by the EPA doesn't preclude there being a mussel induced plant shutdown.

The quote in our paper from one of the reps who sponsored the bill was that he had been offered no assurances by Republicans that a floor vote would even be called. Committee vote was 16 for, 8 against.

No connection to mussels, only the real reasons for the plant shutdown.

I have not been able to find a direct relationship between a power plant closing and mussels. I have found this article about a plant closing in Mr Pyle's district.

The EPA is not shutting down these plants. The EPA is saying "you have to pollute the air less". The energy companies are saying "It will be cheaper to build gas plants and shutdown the coals plants than to make the coal plants cleaner".

Finally, even if there was a mussel problem for a power plants, it would only be a small part of the problems that coal plants are facing today.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 12:32

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

boychick wrote:
Taking the decision of designated a stream as wild trout water away from PFBC can only be bad for streams, trout, and anglers. Who actually benefits from this bill?

Those who would rape and destroy said stream.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 12:34

From Schuylkill County
This is pretty simple.

Fracking is big business.
The bill is to get the decision making out of the hands of those protecting our streams, watershed, etc, and into the hands of pawns,of the industry.

Posted on: 2013/11/17 13:24
if you look at it right...

Webmaster
This bill is set up to change the way the process works and takes away the control from the PFBC and PGC on these matters today. I can't find one environmental group that supports this bill. So that leaves oil, gas and developers as those in favor of this and most troubled by the current system.

I see no way that is going to be good for anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Here is another article on the subject. Link

The link to follow taking you to the TU site to quickly and easily communicate to your Pennsylvania Representatives that Anglers Oppose House Bill 1576. Link

Send that email today.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 22:24

From chester ct
I'll also be hand writing a letter to Dan Truitt, my state rep (R) since I gather sometimes the (literally) written word might have more weight.

The TU link works better for me in Chrome than IE.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 23:24

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I am friends with Doyle Heffley on FB. He posted how he was proud of this bill. I quickly responded to his post with how he has lost my vote and some other pertinent information about how the bill made no sense. It was quickly deleted.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 12:53

From Ephrata, PA
Alright I sent the letter via the TU site. Even after the P.C.E. article, I was opposed to the bill (if anything, on the grounds that state endangered species lists should not mirror the federal lists, that I believe states are more capable of managing our wildlife better than Washington, and the whole snake bit was ridiculous), but the issue of adding more oversight to the fish and game commission was a valid point, I believed. The WITF article was helpful, as is the fact that it seems the consensus on this bill by the entire outdoors community is against the bill.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 13:06

From Philly
You can keep track of how your rep. votes here

Posted on: 2013/11/19 18:45

From Lansdale
THIS THING PASSED ?? WTF??

Posted on: 2013/11/20 5:54

From Philly
I don't think it was voted on yet in the general assembly. I thought it just made it out of committee. That being said I think there is still time to write to your representatives. I've written to both chambers on more than one occasion regarding this bill.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 11:16

This bill has not been voted on yet. Its "on the table", but they may get to it this week. There is still time to write your legislator.

Becker - I met with Heffley back in March. That guy is misguided with regards to trout and how the management of trout will affect recreation in his district. Not good!

Posted on: 2013/11/20 11:30

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

LehighRegular wrote:
This bill has not been voted on yet. Its "on the table", but they may get to it this week. There is still time to write your legislator.

Becker - I met with Heffley back in March. That guy is misguided with regards to trout and how the management of trout will affect recreation in his district. Not good!

Some of us from our TU chapter meet with our local rep Joe Emerick, who was on the committee. He told us that he was a sportsman and enjoyed the outdoors. Then in the next breath he said he will vote yes for this bill. His reason was that once something is placed on the endangered species list, it never comes off. This hurts businesses that have to comply with the laws to protect these species.

Rep Phyle, I think I spelled his name correctly, said that he proposed this bill because if it weren't for some endangered species in his district he would have more businesses relocating there.

It's all about the money. Remember these guys when it comes time to vote. They are counting on people having short memories.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 19:53

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

I was in contact and exchanged a few emails with my representative since this bill first came to my attention. He is also a member of the house fish and game committee. It looks like this bill has a strong chance to succeed.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:13
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From harlansburg
yep, until someone pony's up more money than the gas industry, it's "screw the trout", and "hello profits".
FWIW, I feared this industry at the very first hint of what was going to happen, and people kept telling me that this industry really cares about OUR environment, about OUR state, and about OUR streams.
guess what, total F-n BS!!!!!!!
laws will continue to be changed to favor their profits, greedy f-n bastards.
edit, sorry for the thinly veiled vulgarity, but that's the kindest way I could put how I really feel.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:02

From PA and NH
Of course it will pass, big business rules Harrisburg, just like it ruled DC under Dubya.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:19

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com