Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

TU Article: At What Price Glory

From NE OH
http://online.qmags.com/TU0913S#pg1&mode2

This article is in the Fall 2013 Trout magazine and just happens to be the current online sample that anyone can read. A topic we discuss often on numerous threads. At the end of the day, the reality is, we've ALL done it. We have to get better with it. This a a good article that we can all learn something from. Good stuff, take a read!

Posted on: 2013/9/29 15:10

Re: TU Article: At What Price Glory

That's a good read.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 17:16
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Glad to see that this article was published.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 21:28

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Just came in the mail today. I'll be sure to read...

Posted on: 2013/10/1 22:35

From Southeastern Pa
I remember some state college locals telling me years ago that 1 "catch and release" fishermen does more damage than 2 catch and keep guys.

thought being that the catch and keep leave after they hit their limit. the C&R guy just keeps on catching and snapping photos and dumping the fish back in.

I know I have been guilty of it also. I have been really enjoying photographing the fish underwater and the unique shots that you get there. I suppose if I ever caught one worth a grip and grin I would quickly do so if possible but that involves catching a big'n first and thats just not something I do.

Great read and definitely a nod towards the sport returning to that status of being sporting. respecting our resource is paramount to our continued enjoyment and also our heritage past and present. It's something we should try harder to reclaim.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 23:42

From Philadelphia PA
Great article....For the most part I am so concerned with getting the fish back in the water that I do not take photos. My phone has a built in camera, however the only time it comes out of my pocket is to answer someone's call. This article hits home for me where it talks about the 30/60 second results. I try to keep the fish out of the water even less time than that. If family and friends don't believe my catches than they should go fishing with me.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 8:27
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

"At the end of the day, the reality is, we've ALL done it."

Keep a fish out of water for a long time to take a pic? nope. I put fish back fast. by the time people get there with camera fish is gone.

I don't count or measure fish, beyond knowing that butt-to-grip-end of my usual brookie rod just less than ten inches. If I want, I can compare in an instant, and the fish is on its way.

Have super simple Fuji water and shockproof camera in ez-access vest pocket: fast image if I want one.

Pictures, btw, don't prove how big a fish is, still have to believe the fisherman, some variability there :)

last fish pic I took below. fun to try when they're back in the water.

for brookie fishing, stream images are imho more interesting than fish images anyhow...

Attach file:

jpg  9949593714_f936be60f5_z.jpg (231.60 KB)
2769_524c332a10a83.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  10037975215_d94c173227.jpg (197.37 KB)
2769_524c37bc0d10d.jpg 375X500 px

Posted on: 2013/10/2 10:54

Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/2 11:12:41
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/2 11:13:59
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/2 11:20:29

From Philadelphia, PA
The rule I have always gone by is the fish shouldn't leave the water for more than 5 seconds at a time. It may sound brief, but it really isn't. If the guy with the camera is ready, 5 seconds is plenty to get a shot.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 13:32

From Schuylkill County
The comparison that the author makes that keeping a fish out of water is like holding someone's head underwater is pretty convincing.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 13:17

From Mount Joy, PA
A landing REALLY is worth its weight in gold when it comes to C & R fishing. Keep the fish in the net, let it recover some, take a pic in the net, etc., etc. Proper C & R technique is just as much a lifelong learning skill in fly fishing as anything else.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 13:48

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
http://online.qmags.com/TU0913S#pg1&mode2

This article is in the Fall 2013 Trout magazine and just happens to be the current online sample that anyone can read. A topic we discuss often on numerous threads. At the end of the day, the reality is, we've ALL done it. We have to get better with it. This a a good article that we can all learn something from. Good stuff, take a read!

I think I can say, with a touch of caution, that it's not my reality which is why I do not have a picture of my best wild trout ever, an honest 20'' from a small stream. I'm a lot like Pennypack flyer on this in that I too am so concerned for the fish's survival that I usually do not take photos. Of the few photos I have taken, probably 99% of them have been of the fish in a C&R net and lifted inches from the water for a second or two before release. I agree though it's a good article and we can all learn from it.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 14:11

From Eastern PA
The fact of the matter is it will likely just get worse and worse. More people are carrying cameras, phones, GoPro, etc in order to document their live so they can blast it across social media outlets. There is a thread around here somewhere about narcissism and frankly that is pretty much what it all boils down to.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 15:53

From Perry County
Catch and release is to be for the survival of the fish and taking pictures as one said just to be able to put on social media is a problem. I mean come on just how many pictures of average fish can one have of themselves.

It may be true that some do it to prove they actually caught fish that day but at the end of the day I personally don't care if people believe me or not, I try not to let the fish out of the water at all, released in the net, in the water is how I always try to do it. Maybe it is because I have been at this a while but I could care less about pictures any more. Fly fishing goes way beyond the catch and the proof of it, it has been described as a passion, a addiction and so on but it is really a way of life and the actual catch is just a bonus of that lifestyle.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 6:59

From Hunker
Very interesting

Posted on: 2013/10/4 7:24
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

right, it's called fishing, not catching.

I realize that I am different than many fishermen, but on of one of my best trips this year, I caught one fish. A wild brown on a fantastic stream, one of several I tried that day. Beautiful stream, place to go back to, some stream pictures and a nice hike...

Posted on: 2013/10/4 7:57

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com