Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: TU Article: At What Price Glory
From Chester County
Technology has allowed us to communicate almost instantly from almost anywhere with written words, voice, pics and video.

Both good and bad. Mostly good, IMO.

Here to stay.

Deal with it.

Take care of the fish, though. I would guess nearly every one on here does every thing they can to not jeopardize the life of a fish for the sake of getting a pic. If not, start doing so.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 8:03

Edited by afishinado on 2013/10/4 8:34:45

I love tech and gear - gps w/ detailed topo, locator beacon, android phone w/ map apps, infrared thermometer, shock/waterproof camera, motox shin guards, breathable waders, silly $100 vented fishing shirts. Makes fishing better and safer.

Sometimes imho it's better to compromise fishing for the sake of the fish. Catch a first brookie from a stealthy lie below a nice pool, line around branch, better to walk up and spook em to let that fish go. Same with camera. Sometimes better to compromise picture for sake of the fish. If you cant take a fast image, there's always another fish.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 8:24

From United States
I personally love to take pictures of fish. A mounted deer head can appear as a trophy, or a feather in ones cap as it were. The other way to look at it is that it is to commemorate a beautiful animal. It's all in the motive man, and to each his own. With that said, I was just watching a fly fishing show. The cheeky fellow grabbed the fish and the fish sprung out of his hands on to the bank and the wrestling ensued. Once the fish was wrangled, it was promptly held up for the camera, smile, snap, snap. My man then stuck the fish in the water and holdiing it from the top with thumb and forefinger holding the gill plates shut. I love the next part. This is when he swooshed the fish back and forth for a period of time prior to release in the swift water. There is alot that can be said here about the proper way to handle fish. Which is I believe the main issue.
Personally, I have never carried a net, even though I own some really nice ones. Never Grab The Fish, Cradle it. Be gentle, roll it upside down, unhook it, roll it right side up, never lifting it's head from the water. Really big fish or fish you want to get personal with, beach slowly, not rushed. When you were young did you ever try to catch a wild kitten. Move slow no fast movements to spook the fish, guide the fish to a position where you can kneel on both knees between the fish an the main river. You can then get to know the fish a little better. At this point a measurement, pic. If I need or want a grip and grin, I will rest the fish for some time. If the gills are still flapping away after an arduous fight, Don't lift it's head out of the water. Who wants to run a sprint then stick their head underwater. This isn't rocket science. After the pictures or whatever. I will stand and gently cradle the fish toward slightly deeper water then release. Most times the fish will lie there for a period of time. It's amazing how sedate they may become if handled very gingerly and their head never leaves the water. After the fish realizes its free to go it almost always brings a chuckle to myself or whomever is with me as the fish blasts out into the current. This is 90 percent of the time. On the rare occasion a fish just will not cooperate and their are times where I wish I had a net. I'm only giving my thoughts on this. I in no way am saying they are the only way to do things. However, if it can help one person be a better FISH WHISPERER then it's all worth it. Seriously, I do think rubbing the belly may help to calm the fish. Does anyone know or have done any hand fishing as a kid? Way off topic, sorry.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 10:12
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I agree with k-bob that stream pictures are more interesting. I take some, but need to take more.

When I'm "on my game", I like to have "threads" of pictures, with both scenery and fish. In chronological order. The reason I take pictures is so that the set of pictures tells the story of the day. And 3 years down the road I can open up that folder and re-live a memorable day, filling in the gaps between pictures with memories. The catching of a fish usually reminds me to take pictures. But I have a habit/problem of not taking scenery pics during the longer fishless periods.

As far as fish pics, fish stays in water till I ready the camera. I usually grab the fly to position the fish for the pic, unless it's really big. Then slide it onto something, like a wet streamside moss, my wet waders, etc. Lift, snap, and put it back in the water with a twist so that the fly comes out, and the fish is off.

If the hook is in a difficult spot, like deep or in that tough little corner of the mouth, where it might be hard to remove, then I don't take pics. And that's probably when I'm at most danger of hurting the fish, cause it can take a little bit to get that hook out.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 15:31

From New Castle, PA
I've seen way more bad handling related to anglers not unhooking their fish fast enough. If handling related mortality is truly a problem, taking photos is only a small part of that problem IMO.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 16:31

From United States
I'm with you PennKev..

Posted on: 2013/10/4 17:13

From Monessen, PA
I want to say that I take pictures when I darned well feel like it. I kill less fish a year than any meat-hunter, and dag nabit, that's my right. I paid for my license just like they did. Why not try to reduce mortality? I'm down with it, but not at the expense of a couple grip 'n grins gosh darn it.

I see my times is up, thank you.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 18:43

From Bucks County
If we really cared about fish we wouldn't catch them. Just saying'...

Posted on: 2013/10/4 20:33

From United States
What about competitive fishing?
I just want to say that I just now read the article. Funny how my prev. post tied in. I can't believe that the author actually wrote about running a marathon and putting your head under water for a min. or two. My favorite quote from the article was the part about (doing the right thing by the fish not your ego.)
I actually fished with a fellow who was so fixated on numbers that he wouldn't take the time to appreciate scenery or the fish themselves. I'm not exaggerating at all.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 21:38
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

The one thing I do, that I have not seen mention of here, is when fishing small streams (freestones for brookies and lesser times browns) I return the fish to the lie in which I caught it.

I figure brook trout choose their lies through hierarchy, who am I to take that away from them.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 23:17
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Perry County
It is most definitely up to the person, to each their own as they say. I have no problem with someone snapping some pictures or even catching and taking a few home for dinner.

But at the core we want to do the best we can to ensure the fish that we do want to catch and release will survive once released. I have taken pictures, we all have but as mentioned the handling of the fish is really important and being reminded to handle them better is great. We all have watched people mishandle their catch who had no intention of taking pictures or anything but just to get a fly back.

All the techy stuff is here to stay and there is nothing wrong with that helping to make our trips out doing what we love better, more enjoyable and definitely more memorable. And being reminded to be more purposeful in do the very best we can to try to make sure they survive is good.

But through the nature of catching them some, even when we do the best we can, are not going to make . Catch and kill to eat a few isn't wrong either. I love them with some onions, peppers and garlic, yes sir.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 23:50

I take pics of almost every fish I catch. I wasn't aware of how much their chance of survival decreases in just 30 seconds. Maybe I'll have to rethink that. FWIW though, like others have posted, I leave the fish in the water, in the net, until the camera is ready, then raise the net an inch or two above the water, snap, and release. I really just enjoy going back and looking through pics of trout I've caught.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 6:16

From Chester County
Quote:

phiendWMD wrote:
I take pics of almost every fish I catch. I wasn't aware of how much their chance of survival decreases in just 30 seconds. Maybe I'll have to rethink that. FWIW though, like others have posted, I leave the fish in the water, in the net, until the camera is ready, then raise the net an inch or two above the water, snap, and release. I really just enjoy going back and looking through pics of trout I've caught.

Sounds like you do a good job of taking care of the fish. If taking a lot of fish pics gives you enjoyment, and you practice good C&R practices.....snap away.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 6:25

From Mont Co, Pa
I take pics every time I go fishing, both stream pics and fish pics. I do this because some day I won't be able to get to these beautifully wild streams, and my memory won't be able to duplicate many of those trips the way photos can.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 9:53

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
and my memory won't be able to duplicate many of those trips the way photos can.

See, for me, memory beats the photo's on it's own. If it's memory vs. photo, memory wins.

However, memory + photos is the best combination. They work together, not apart. You remember that after this happened, then you did this, and bam, there's the pic of it. And likewise, seeing a pic of that undercut bank where the brown came out of adds something, it makes the memory a little sharper. You can just re-live a trip.

A perfect set should tell the whole story of a day. Get a few of the walk in, scenery while fishing, a certain % of the fish, some specific lies and pools, etc. Can't be a billion pictures, but there should be no major parts of the day that aren't captured, either. Take the pics at relatively even intervals. If there is a fishless stretch, then there should be several "non-fish" pics for that part of the day. If you hit a stretch where it's one fish after another, then there should be lots of fish pics. Any particular memorable fish, well, get one of the fish, and also of the lie he came out of. Make sure you take a few of any fishing partners, as well.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 10:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com