Should we trust the DEP?

bikerfish

bikerfish

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_783842.html

Pro-gas Corbett and legislature are ultimately the DEP's bosses, so this surprises anyone?

Ahhhh No their a government funded agency. Ask Sitting Bull what happens when you trust the government.

The field level inspectors at the DEP can and should be trusted. They are the ones out there overseeing the day to day operations. It would be interesting to see just why the "violation" was issued. There are a lot of reasons a company may have a violation. The majority are non pollution, notification type of issues. Casing failure (an unfortunate catchall phrase being used to tabulate data) does not necessarily mean any type of leak.

that may be the case, but what troubles me after reading the article is how the DEP refuses to test their water again. I mean, come on, these people have a problem that didn't exist before, step up and figure out what it is, whether it was caused by drilling or not doesn't matter. this is happening not far from me and is my greatest fear. it's one thing to kiss the *** of the gas industry, it's another to sacrifice our own citizens in the process.
I'd call the feds, but of course they are probably on the payroll as well(pun intended)

Yes I would call the EPA and present the evidence to the EPA and my State Rep. Then If not satisfied I would talk to a lawyer. They are sitting on top of a gold mine! Blow the whole thing wide open.

I am torn as to which scandal will take Corbett down.....the Sandusky turmoil or the MS cover up scandal.

I do know these people are planning action, I just don't know the details yet. I'll ask around when I get a chance. it truly is criminal to put aside the rights and welfare of our own citizens for the greed of the gas companies.

Regarding the toppling of Corbett....he is being sued by the Penna Environmental Defense Fund.

1218 PEDF Sues Governor over Mismanagement of Conservation Funding

The Pennsylvania Environmental Defense Foundation (PEDF) has filed a lawsuit against Governor Tom Corbett in Commonwealth Court in Harrisburg.

The suit alleges that the Governor, along with his Budget Secretary, Charles Zogby and the State Treasurer, Tom McCord, have violated their fiduciary duties under Article I Section 27 of Pennsylvania's Constitution, and are continuing to endanger our State Forests and Parks as a result.

PEDF had sent several letters to the Governor and the Legislature during the past year urging them not lease any more State Forests, and to stop diverting all the monies that have come from the Marcellus drilling activities on our State Forests. PEDF had made clear that a law suit would be filed if the Governor continued to use the lease money to go to the State's General Fund or for projects that were not specifically used for restoring and preserving our State Parks and Forest System.

When the Governor committed approximately $70,000,000 of the lease money to replace Fund DCNR's Operational Budget, and another $20,000,000 to Funds that are not concerned with conserving and maintaining our State Parks and Forest systems PEDF decided to take action.

The suit alleges that the Governor, in both the Rendell and Current Administrations, wrongfully entered into leasing some of our most pristine State Forests, without considering his fiduciary duties; wrongfully took DCNR's financial ability to deal with the impacts from the Marcellus drilling process on our State Forests, and wrongfully uses the funds for purposes that are beyond the Trust established under our Constitution.

To see the entire lawsuit go to PEDF's web site at

http://www.pedf.org/Petition_For_Review_Lease_Fund.pdf

The Forest Coalition affidavit is on page 33

=======================================================

R. Martin Coordinator www.PaForestCoalition.org

Mission: Good Stewardship of our Public Lands
Caring for what God has created

Thanks for posting that Maurice. I was previously unaware that corbett was being sued.

There was an article in the Trib, about the EPA looking into the MS Fracking. The DEP is bent out of shape claiming they are overstepping. REALLY!? The nerve of some poeple wanting to check to make sure things are safe? Lemme see if I can find the link.
Drilling Scrutiny Battle Spurs...http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_785015.html

another article about a family not far from me.
I'm hoping this doesn't happen to my well, but I will say this, if it does, I will not go quietly.
http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2012/04/30/residents-fed-up-with-bad-water-flee-shale-drilling-areas/

Man biker , i hope it doesn't happen to your well either. Mo , that was some cool info in that post......thanks. Explain to me how casing failure can mean nothing leaks?

bikerfish wrote:
another article about a family not far from me.
I'm hoping this doesn't happen to my well, but I will say this, if it does, I will not go quietly.
http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2012/04/30/residents-fed-up-with-bad-water-flee-shale-drilling-areas/

Did you get your well tested prior to any drilling activity so that you have a basis to compare any post drilling problems?

The article doesn't actually identify if there are any issues with the water other than some non-threatening sediment. The author would have a more informative article if they had gotten an independent expert to analyze the DEP report the woman received.

A lot of the issues with well water are often not water quality issues from a health standpoint but may be visible changes to the water. The DEP should do a better educational job on these problems.

It's likely a simple inline water filter would have removed the sediment. IMHO this is something that should be installed on the primary drinking supply line in any house that has a well. (I installed one in my camper as well.)

Franklin.....You make a good point about the comparison of samples tested before and after and a well (no pun intended) informed and educated public might spend the money and do just that. I think it should go on the Corporations to do it , make them sample and test and provide results before a shovelfull of dirt is moved and then do the same after , my only concern would be trusting the results but they could let the landowner pick the lab r sumpin.

osprey wrote:
Franklin.....You make a good point about the comparison of samples tested before and after and a well (no pun intended) informed and educated public might spend the money and do just that. I think it should go on the Corporations to do it , make them sample and test and provide results before a shovelfull of dirt is moved and then do the same after , my only concern would be trusting the results but they could let the landowner pick the lab r sumpin.

If I lived in the region I would certainly protect myself with periodic testing. (As I have mentioned previously on this site I do own woodland in central Pa with a spring feed water source and I have tested the spring water going back 30 years.) I can understand why a legitimate drilling company might not want to take on that risk. They will then have to defend every single change in water quality that shows up regardless of the source. With all the politics and false information on both sides of this issue it's easy to see how uninformed citizens get frustrated and don't know who to trust. It doesn't help when there are reporters that either do a poor job journalisticly or worse yet have an agenda imbedded in their reporting.

So to clarify, Franklin, do you think the angst about MS drilling is much ado about nothing?

JackM wrote:
So to clarify, Franklin, do you think the angst about MS drilling is much ado about nothing?

Would you think someone who recommends water testing and installation of filters has no concerns?

I feel it is the responsibility of the drilling companies to test water, it should not be the responsiblility of the landowner. I have a rig sitting 1 mile north of me as I type this. no offer from them to test anyone's water immediately around me. the new law as I read it lets drilling companies off the hook for water testing, maybe PCRAY can chime in regarding that. the only water wells that I know have been tested have been for those that have signed leases, so if you don't have a lease, I guess your screwed. I have sent out samples at my own expense, although it was probably a waste of time and money, if something goes wrong, you just can't battle the giant. I feel bad for those folks that are left with worthless property, I personnally know some of them, they are screwed. the DEP has failed them, the state has failed them. their only hope is to get the EPA involved, but then the state whines and complains about their toes being stepped on. well guess what, if you protected your own F#*KING people instead of the gas industry, we wouldn't have to call in the feds. only a matter of time till the feds fail them also, I;'m sure they are getting paid off as we speak.
if I were them, I'd sue everyone and anyone I could, if not to win, at least to cause great inconvenience. the squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know.
but, like Jack said, probably much ado about nothing, just pay your taxes and shut the F up, and quit worrying about some mud in your previously clean water, there's money to be made dammit!

I have no problem with drilling fees that are directly tied to local impacts of drilling. Water testing if done correctly would be one. Water testing requires test samples prior to drilling and performed by a trusted test entity. Likewise testing after drilling is also needed. In addition some party has to evaluate prior/post samples and make judgments on changes. Who would that trusted entity be? IMHO it should be the DEP. With all the politics involved do people have that level of trust in the DEP?

There would be more details to work out regarding such an effort. How often is water tested after drilling? Once? Every year? At the sale of a property? Is testing mandatory? Voluntary?t

On top of that add all the political parasites that want to sandbag such an effort with other non-relevant items they think they can push through. Or the impossible hurdles that will be proposed by those who want the total cessation of all fossil fuels. Any wonder why even a reputable drilling company would resist?

exactly. it should be the DEP, but I don't trust them anymore now that their boss is basically a pon for the gas industry. he may be honest and worthwhile, but I just don't trust him, and I'm not alone.
the DEP should be run by someone with environmental knowledge and have no bias one way to the other, not someone directly related to the gas/mining industry. it was said before in this forum, the fox watching the hen house.
They are there to protect us and the environment that is called pennsylvania, and ensure it's future for coming generations.
I just can't believe how lightly some folks take this, until it's their well spitting out mud and crap.

Back