Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Save Spring Creek, Centre County
From Altoona, PA
"If you get a reply back from a representative, saying all the groups who objected to the transfer are now satisfied, or something similar, write them back and tell them that just isn’t so."

Which groups are still objecting to the transfer?

Posted on: 2008/5/22 16:33

Save Spring Creek, Centre County

Quote:

Padraic wrote:
"If you get a reply back from a representative, saying all the groups who objected to the transfer are now satisfied, or something similar, write them back and tell them that just isn’t so."

Which groups are still objecting to the transfer?

Padraic,

This is the list of the members of the Alliance I have, from earlier on. As far as I know, none have changed their minds.

Spring Creek Chapter of Trout Unlimited
PA Council of Trout Unlimited
Fly Fishers Paradise
Centre County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
Moshannon Group, Sierra Club
PA Chapter, Sierra Club
PA Chapter, Wild Turkey Federation
Citizens for Pennsylvania’s Future
United Bow Hunters of Pennsylvania
Nittany Mountain Biking Association
Coalition for Open Space Preservation
Juniata Valley Audubon
State College Bird Club
Adams County Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Adams County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
Mach 1 Kayak Slalom Team
Little Juniata River Association

The Centre County Commissioners objected, back around the time of the big public meeting. I haven't heard them make any comment in response to Hanna's latest move.

Kerry Benninghoff, state Rep. from Bellefonte, is opposed to the transfer.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 22:16

From Altoona, PA
Thank you, I wanted to include that in my email!

Posted on: 2008/5/22 22:35

Quote:

Padraic wrote:
Thank you, I wanted to include that in my email!

Good idea!!

Posted on: 2008/5/23 9:02

To those who contacted their legislators on this issue, thank you very much. It might help, and it sure can't hurt!

Posted on: 2008/6/7 16:55

Here’s an update. At this point, the people to contact to oppose this legislation are your local PA legislators. You can find them here:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm

Tell them to vote NO on SB 740. Tell them you oppose the transfer of the Rockview lands to Penn State University. And support ownership by the PA Game Commission or DCNR, to ensure conservation of these lands, public access to these lands, and protection of water quality in Spring Creek, one of the greatest trout streams in PA.

Here’s an interesting article on the topic:
http://www.lewistownsentinel.com/page ... l/id/507476.html?nav=5010

(Sorry, I still haven't figured out the mini-link thing.)

Posted on: 2008/6/16 18:56

From Monessen, PA
If we write to our legislator are we required to tell them what you stated about the issue or would it be OK if we told them what we thought about it?

Here is some counter-propoganda to consider if you are making up your own mind about the wisdom of this legislation:

http://live.psu.edu/pstory/31315

Posted on: 2008/6/16 21:04

Edited by JackM on 2008/6/17 15:40:22

Please spread the word:

Friend,

If you care about who owns the 1800 acres of surplus Rockview land, including Spring Creek Canyon, please mark you calendar now and plan to attend this public meeting, July 30, 2008.

"Community Alternatives to the Rockview Land Transfer"

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

7:00 p.m.

Patton Township Community Meeting Room
100 Plaza Drive, State College

Come and share your ideas to preserve the Rockview land, including the Canyon and the Uplands, as one property for public use in perpetuity.

It's not over yet!

Let your voice be heard!

Sponsored by the Spring Creek Canyon Alliance.

C-Net coverage sponsored by Centre County Government.

Over 1000 members of the Spring Creek Canyon Alliance, and many others, wish to see the Rockview land remain forever as one parcel for public use and not divided between Penn State University and Benner Township. Despite any agreements, plans, restrictions or easements that have been proposed, the owner of the property will ultimately control the use of the land.

In the future, as State College and Bellefonte grow together, this could become our own Centre County Central Park.

Our state legislators have rejected overwhelming public opinion and are shuttling this land transfer through the system despite our protests. We must offer a practical and possible alternative. We need your ideas and input.

Please pass this announcement along to your listservs and accept my apologies if you have received multiple copies of this message.

Hoping to see you July 30 at 7:00p.m.

Bob Leonard (tel. 814-237-1891)
for Spring Creek Canyon Alliance and Everyone who wants to keep our public land public!

Posted on: 2008/7/7 8:00

Here’s another reminder about the meeting this Wednesday. All flyfishers who live in the area and care about the future of Spring Creek, please put it on your calendars and make this meeting if you can! (Beer for all attendees. OK, I made that part up.)
-----------------------------------------

Public Meeting Announcement

A public meeting, “Community Alternatives to the Rockview Land Transfer,” will be held at 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at the Patton Township Community Meeting Room, 100 Patton Plaza Drive, State College. (across from the new Home Depot)

The Spring Creek Canyon Alliance, a coalition of 21 environmental, recreational, sportsmen and community groups representing over 150,000 citizens across the Commonwealth, is sponsoring the meeting.

At issue is House Bill 1657, (Hanna, D-76th District) which proposes dividing approximately 1600 acres of surplus Rockview land between Benner Township and Penn State University. Believing that ownership determines how the land will be utilized, the Alliance supports a single owner of the entire property with a mandate to protect the natural resources and assure public access for passive recreation in perpetuity.

“We have never had real public input,” states Ed Perry, founder of the Alliance. “All previous meetings have presumed ownership of the property, and the public has never been asked the fundamental question, ‘Who are the rightful owners of this public land?’”

Presented as a “routine land transfer,” Rep. Hanna’s bill has already passed the PA House and now resides in the Senate Rules Committee as an amendment to Senate Bill 740, (Corman, R-34th District). In anticipation of Senator Corman’s promised Public Hearing on his bill, the Alliance hopes to develop alternatives to propose to the PA Senate that would keep the Rockview land in the public domain.

Open to the public, the meeting will be moderated by community organizer, Bob Leonard. After a brief explanation of the issues by a panel of respondents from the Spring Creek Canyon Alliance, Trout Unlimited, Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, ClearWater Conservancy and the Sierra Club, audience members will be invited to ask questions, offer suggestions, make comments and engage in dialogue.

Local state and county legislators have been invited to participate and it is anticipated that the audience will span a wide array of citizens from concerned individuals to officers and members of a variety of clubs and organizations. Everyone is invited.

C- Net coverage will be sponsored by Centre County Government.

INFORMATION CONTACT:
Bob Leonard, Spring Creek Canyon Alliance
H. 814-237-1891
C. 814-308-4245

Posted on: 2008/7/27 17:04

The meeting on Spring Creek Canyon lands went well. The place was packed with opponents of the proposed land deal. Here’s the story.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/746579.html

If you want to help protect the future of Spring Creek, the best thing to do is send your views to:

Senator Jake Corman
236 Match Factory Place
Bellefonte, PA 16823

Suggested message: Oppose transfer of these public lands to Penn State. Support ownership of these lands by a public resource agency. Such as the PA Game Commission or DCNR. For protection of Spring Creek and its surrounding lands.

Put it into your own words, of course. Many of you have fished Spring Creek. Tell the Senator what Spring Creek means to you.

Corman's office is only a few miles from these lands. He'll know what you're talking about.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 11:05

Thanks, wanted to attend but at 3 hours of a drive it was'nt in the cards last week. I am not sure if I get this channel but I will surf around to see if a I got it.

C-NET will rebroadcast Wednesday's forum at the following times: 1 and 8 p.m. Saturday; 4 p.m. Sunday; and 10 a.m. Monday.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:52

Quote:

acristickid wrote:
Thanks, wanted to attend but at 3 hours of a drive it was'nt in the cards last week. I am not sure if I get this channel but I will surf around to see if a I got it.

C-NET will rebroadcast Wednesday's forum at the following times: 1 and 8 p.m. Saturday; 4 p.m. Sunday; and 10 a.m. Monday.

With the price of gas, I sure wouldn't expect anyone to drive 3 hours. Ken Undercoffer, president of PA Trout Unlimited, drove from Clearfield to make the meeting, which is much appreciated.

The meeting was quite well attended by local people.

And a letter to Corman is probably at least as beneficial, or even more so, than showing up at the meeting. And at 41 cents for a stamp, a lot less expensive that driving across the state.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 13:37

Just read this article on the Spring Creek Land Deal. I interpret this as good news for the land deal. Am I reading it right?
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/ ... creek_purchase_halts.aspx

Posted on: 2008/9/24 21:17

Here's the story from the Centre Daily Times:
www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/857220.html

Posted on: 2008/9/27 10:04

Appears to be in Rendell's lap and he is in favor of the transfer to Penn State from what I gather on the latest article.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 11:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com