Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Saucon Creek dam removal

Quote:

AlwaysWading wrote:
I've been there since the dam removal and it's hard to say there is a difference in fish numbers. It will take a number of months or years for the actual results to show up, since the stream itself needs that time to adjust to the change.

Does the habitat look better or worse or about the same? Experienced fishermen know what good habitat and poor habitat looks like.

If you were familiar with what it looked like before, and you've looked at it recently, you should be able to make a pretty fair judgement about whether the habitat is better than before, worse, or about the same.

Does anyone have before and after photos?

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:42

habitat should be greatly improved, lots of wood and overhangs added on upper end of park.

Attach file:

jpg  5A (Large).jpg (190.97 KB)
2930_4ae21956d2569.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  10-9-09 001 (Large).jpg (176.83 KB)
2930_4ae2196c5b432.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  10-5-09 012 (Large).jpg (76.15 KB)
2930_4ae21988a61ca.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/10/23 17:01

SylQuote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

JeffS wrote:
Anyone fish this stretch since the dam has been removed? Have fish been holding there?

I'm not familiar with this particular dam, so I can't say whether its removal will be beneficial for trout or not.

But there is a very common assumption that ALL dam removals will benefit trout populations. That assumption is definitely wrong. Each dam is different. .

This section is quite gravelly and the water above it, being impounded, is deep and silty. Unfortunate, because the gradient increases right around here after being pretty flat for a long ways. There is a sharp bend impounded by the low dam that now can develop as fish structure. Also, the flow, or I'll call it 'wash' from the side channel made by the dam caused a LOT of erosion and just pushed around sand and gravel.

Yes, Saucon could be a match with some of the best. From mis-use and abuse to neglect, it lacks good fish holding cover throughout. It was the origin of my term "flat riffles": fast water lacking good edges or any rock bigger than the gravel in your driveway. Simple but strategic dumping of basket sized rock along banks and in these riffles would do a world of good. That's what I wanted to get done when Chris and I started the Saucon chapter of TU. But when I moved away, the direction and fire was lost, and the creek did not get better.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 23:04

Quote:

billw wrote:
habitat should be greatly improved, lots of wood and overhangs added on upper end of park.

Well, that's not where the dam was. That's upstream from the removed dam. That's nice to see, though. When I was living in Bethlehem, the parks had just stopped mowing along the creek below there along the creek in a wet section of grass.

A GREAT place for stream work would be below the swinging bridge. It's eroded horribly with little fish habitat and a place where the ducks and geese congregate. You could do worse than to use bushell-sized rock to move the creek in about 5 feet from each bank. A few hundred tons just dumped right in then wrenched into place. A man-made, controlled rock slide.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 23:12

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com