Saucon Creek Sewage Spill

SBecker

SBecker

yeah, that's no good. the lehigh's right down from there, too, so at least that's nothing to worry about.

Primary and secondary failures. Nice. You'd think they would be more careful about such things.

The plant, commissioned in 1953, has two power feed lines pumping wastewater. According to Brong, the lines have separate power sources "for purposes of redundancy, and unfortunately, both of those sources were taken out by the storm."

Hmmm. Wonder how the separate power feeds work (or didn't)?

Whole area is woodsy, I can imagine both lines got taken down.

gfen wrote:
Whole area is woodsy, I can imagine both lines got taken down.

Ya, that's what I was thinking. Kind of screws up the redundancy imo. Since the lines are on the ground, how about underground wires?
???

There's been a crap ton of crap dumped in rivers this year. From Reading and their leaky lines, to failed pumping stations and overflow due to flood, to this event, seems municipalities are enjoying their lowered level of duty to protect.

"No money" etc.
Also, "easy shale money" etc.
Darkest before the dawn or something feel goodish like that.

IIRC, there's actually high tenison lines _right there_ by the plant, but not being an electrician, I don't know how one goes from that sort of power line to the sort of juice a sewage plant uses.

The nice thing is that the length of saucon creek between the plant and the Lehigh isn't super long. On the other hand, anything that's going to come up the Saucon out of the Lehigh has to run that gauntlet of crap now.

That's a shame. Hopefully there wasn't a kill in that stretch.

It's unfortunate, but no matter how we engineer, manage, regulate, etc... these sort of things will happen. The unpredictable weather just compounds the problems of a developing society. The best we can do is learn and try to improve since the population certainly isn't going down anytime soon.

gfen wrote:

"No money" etc.
Also, "easy shale money" etc.
Darkest before the dawn or something feel goodish like that.

IIRC, there's actually high tenison lines _right there_ by the plant, but not being an electrician, I don't know how one goes from that sort of power line to the sort of juice a sewage plant uses.

The nice thing is that the length of saucon creek between the plant and the Lehigh isn't super long. On the other hand, anything that's going to come up the Saucon out of the Lehigh has to run that gauntlet of crap now.

High tension lines, approx 168-768kV. The plant, 13kV-120V. Not so much...

Do you need one of those massive power stations, or just a smaller sort of transformer box to from one to the other? Again, I have no frame of reference to this sort of thing

That sucks. Isnt the plant less than 1/4 mile from the Lehigh? At least if it gets there, it's more diluted. That's some big water down where the Saucon dumps out.

Dang that sucks!
I was wondering why the road was closed back there...
Yea at least its only the last section of the creek, but I like to think the beasts migrate back up the creek to spawn....

I don't really fish the river below the sh!t plant, but it still sucks. The smallie population seemed to be doing better than ever this year from Bethlehem to Freemansburg...There was a tree down on the other side of the river from the sh!t plant that was producing well with poppers, its probably been washed away at some point this summer...

Back