Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Rock Snot Discovered in the Yough

"There is no solution beyond somehow poisoning it (which would likely poison everything else too). "

What would the consequences be of putting something in the water to rob it of phosphorus? Since it seems that didymO thrives in phosphorus rich waters?

Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:34

Actually, I seem to have gathered its the opposite, didymo thrive in waters LOW in P. It seems to have a competitive edge over other species in this environment. Who knows, the solution may be to introduce an excess of nutrients into the system to boost other algae species. This could easily backfire and turn into the largest man made algae bloom in history...

Posted on: 2012/6/5 18:35

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
O.K. If it's in the Yough now, what do we do. I've been cleaning my gear for years now. I hope that anglers that do travel to other watersheds are mindful of their gear also. The angling community I hope will do our part. As for kayaks, rafts and yes, driftboats, I hope they are aware of the situation. I'd hope the rafting industry in Ohiopyle has a plan. The river is "tuned" by the USACE for the rafting industries purposes more so than the anglers purposes. They've got a dog in this hunt too.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 19:12

Quote:

hendeylathe wrote:
I'd hope the rafting industry in Ohiopyle has a plan.

Too funny. Rafting industry and plan do not fit in the same grammatical construct.

What to do? It seems like this stuff varies in intensity depending upon the watershed, and time will tell how well it does on the Yough. The bright side, if there be one, is that the blooms occur during a time when very few people fish the river, and the predictably high water in the spring will help to dislodge those blooms by the time people are actually able to get on the river. Of course that is best case. So what to do is continue to fish, and try not to spread the stuff around.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 9:41

From Clearville Pa
i suggest that we get with r local tu chapter and try to put signs up on every popular pull off of what the stuff is...wva and md have a good many signs out...i was at the cranberry river in wva in may and they had signs up about it and it isnt even in the river...it will educate people that dont know anything about it

Posted on: 2012/6/6 11:14

From watching that documentary on the Gunpowder, which noted that high flows and fast currents can blast enough didymo loose to ameliorate the problem, I wonder if a carefully applied suction dredge- perhaps underpowered a bit- might help control didymo blooms in some smaller rivers and streams, as long as it's used carefully in a limited application with the right timing, at the beginning of the bloom period.

Suction dredges can cause habitat problems of their own, of course. This is really a suggestion to be evaluated by someone with the expertise.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 14:04

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Someone may have mentioned this, but I have not read through all posts, I heard from a friend who said he heard that it is in the Lehigh River now as well. Any confirmation on this heresay?

Posted on: 2012/6/6 14:15

Well the lehigh drains into the delaware, so if it isnt yet, its only a matter of time

Posted on: 2012/6/6 15:50

I thought I saw someone post pictures of frack water withdrawals on the Youg. So, if there are multiple water removal sites, at different points in the river, I'd imagine they'd be spreading it all around. Unlesss............they care about the environment. A Tu in the area might wanna get on that.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 17:21

From Lancaster County
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Actually, I seem to have gathered its the opposite, didymo thrive in waters LOW in P. It seems to have a competitive edge over other species in this environment. Who knows, the solution may be to introduce an excess of nutrients into the system to boost other algae species. This could easily backfire and turn into the largest man made algae bloom in history...

I don't think we humans have a really good track record with removing invasive species... We introduce them in the first place; inadvertently, intentionally, ignorantly. Then, we come up with some half-cocked and half-baked ideas on how to eradicate them (by importing their natural enemies, for instance, which are, in and of themselves a NEW invasive species). I'm not saying that the human spirit won't prevail on this one at some point, but its a tough cell to eradicate, and we will probably have multiple missteps along the way. Globalization sure has messed with ecosystems...

Posted on: 2012/6/6 21:36

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Wow, this is really sad news. In the past I would often fish the Yough and one or more other streams during the same outing without removing my waders or boots. This practice will have to change.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 5:55

yea, they have done water withdrawls. i posted it under gas well trouble on the yough a year or two ago basically predicting this

Posted on: 2012/6/17 16:43

check my old posts if you want to see pictures

Posted on: 2012/6/17 16:43

From Greensburg, PA
<iframe width="658" height="416" scrolling="no" src="http://www.dve.com/player/embed.html? ... uttonColor=0xffffff" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

Posted on: 2012/6/22 23:27

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com