Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Requesting advice/help from the TU guys on the site

From Portage, PA
How is this dublicating others work when this upper section of stream, to the best of my knowlege, has not been touched by TU. They have it listed on the mountain laural branch website. They talk about it but I have yet to see them do anything in the area that fishing is being done right now and trout are plentiful. Or within the area of the stream I am looking to try to improve.

http://www.mltu.org/littlecon.shtml

"Fish and wildlife do occupy pockets of habitat on several Little Conemaugh tributaries. There were beaver and high value wetlands in the headwaters and Kokomo Run. Ben's Creek, Howell's Run, Big Laurel Run, Noel's Run and the North Branch and South Fork of the Little Conemaugh are stocked with trout by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission."

They are not even mentioning the headwater of the Little Conemaugh that I am talking about. within this.Not seeing any notes of anything being done on this section of stream.

I was planning contacting this chapter, among other sportsmans groups, in the area, and such once the section of stream is added to the program. I was actually hoping to use this to vicariously "bridge the gap" among these groups, and realize that conservation is important, and we can impact the local streams in Cambria County.

I am not against asking TU for help on this, I just want to get my ducks in a row on this first.

So before firing out accuations please know all of the facts.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 10:24

From LV
Well if it's already been assessed and surveyed and it'son their list of things to do, then it's duPlicating work already done. That's how! It's not going to hurt to contact them, they know about it, they will be glad someone wants to work on it and put some improvements in place to improve habitat, the one thing they will not do is stock it. If there are fish there they will multiply when conditions improve.

And Oh by the way, most TUers don't want regs on streams, most streams can't handle the extra pressure that regs place on the stream, because of the way regs are used in PA.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 10:56

From Harrisburg
From the TU website:
Quote:
but recreational use of the Little Conemaugh is severely limited because of acid-mine discharges that seep, flow and sometimes gush as artesian wells, spouting 10 or 15 feet into the air.

That sounds like you got yer hands full. I have to wonder if it is in fact reclaimable?
The history they give you.... it seems like it used to be like Big Springs brookie wise.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 5:59

From Portage, PA
Square tail, the upper head waters is 100% fishable. I would say from Lilly to the Hughes borehole is about 3 miles of stream. The section I want to improve the habitat on is in the town of Cassandra. There are plenty of angling opportunities here.

The lower end will take huge efforts and a lot of time to get cleaned up. We are cleaning the upper end of on of the AMD effected tributaries now. With the wetlands installed, and from opinions gave to me by a DEP guy, in about 2 years aquatic life should slowly make its way down stream. There are a few more AMD seeps on trout run that once cleaned up will have about 3-4 miles of stream from martindale to where it meets the little conemaugh on route 53.

I know this effort will take a very long time to clean the whole stretch, but look what happened with Stony Creek and SCRIP. It is my dream to one day fish the stretch of the Little Conemaugh from Lilly all the way to South Fork. It is a dream right now. But I will do my best to improve the areas that are sustaing aquatic life and fishing opportunities.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 6:44

From harlansburg
be nice if the evil bastards that caused all the damage could be held responsible.
those coal executives should be strung up they their balls, and if they are long dead, then their bodies should be used to plug the problem.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 7:03

From Johnstown, PA
biker 'ol buddy you should try and not hold back so much in your criticism , just go ahead an let it out man , it's ok......jk........MIKE , what i was trying to tell you in the last post was that at one time not so long ago the Stonycreek waas just5 as bad , if not worse than the Conemaugh , Mountain Laurel T.U. along with members Len Lichvar (Now ON the PFBC) Lester McNutt and others are mainly responsible for what you see when you stand at the "Point" and compare the two. The point i was trying to make is that if you start by trying to contact those folks you might expedite things and like CHAZ says , you won't be going back over things that would waste valuable time. I'm bettin that form you are finding it difficult to obtain , were you to contact Len Lichvar through Mountain Laurel T.U. , i'll bet you have it in hand much more quickly than the way you are trying to pursue it. Mountain Laurel T.U. holds their meetings at Gander Mountain , they are open to the public , Len attends many of the meetings at least he used to , probably not as many now but if you want help , take it when offered.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 7:55

From harlansburg
Ha ha Osprey! I'll try to express my feelings better!
BTW, problems such as this is EXACTLY why I worry about the gas industry, it all sounds good till something bad happens and, oh look, they claimed bankruptcy and the public is stuck with the problem.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 7:57

From florida
Your right Biker. Long dead and their profits spent. So shall we repeat the mess of the past? Stream improvement equals trees to start. GG

Posted on: 2013/2/14 10:48

From Portage, PA
I have heard talks of Amfire Coal being pushed to take responsibilty for the Hughes Borehole. I heard talks of a 5 million dollar project going to be started.

I can only hope these talks are worthwhile, but then again I heard talks of wild Mountain Lions in PA as well.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 11:14

From LV
+1 biker!

Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:03

The TU restoration model is log jam followed by plunge pool followed by V deflector followed by log jam followed by plunge pool followed by V deflector followed by log jam followed by plunge pool followed by V deflector followed by log jam followed by plunge pool followed by V deflector followed by log jam followed by plunge pool followed by V deflector followed by log jam followed by plunge pool followed by V deflector followed by....

And to break it up you can throw in some rip rap and/or maybe a side channel here or there or maybe even construct a little elevated island that the water flows under - that's "lunker structure."

Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:27

From Portage, PA
I am hoping to do a bit more variety but that all depends on what the game commissions biologist assement brings.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 14:10

From Portage, PA
Got a response back from the PFBC. It was pretty grim. Due to the current cuts the Habitat divison had to set up priorities of streams. Unfortunatly the Little Conemaugh was not on the list.

I had asked if I fund this totally through my organization, and acquire the DEP permits if I can still complete any improvements. I hope that this will be a yes, and they can possibly send a biologist to complete the assessment form.

Until then it looks like it will just be the stream clean up. I have also asked if any of the other streams in my area are on the priority list, and see if we can make improvements on them.

Thank you for all of the insight on this. I will keep trying.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 16:25

From Harrisburg
So a place like Big Spring needs hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on it, yet the Conemaugh gets none?

I could really use some reasoning from some of you smart-type fellers on this.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 5:46

From Portage, PA
I'll keep you posted with what else i find out, i may ask for a list of the streams that are getting aid. I wonder if they have this set up where a stream is on the list, in essence, waiting for someone to step up and improve it. Kinda seems "fishy", unless they have all of the money with places to go already.

hypothetical example:

chest creek, and Howels run in cambria county made the list, but no club or organization is wanting to help, so we don't have to put out the 3,000 and equipment. But we have a club/ organization that wants to help the little conemaugh, but its not on the list.

I hope that is not the case.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 7:02

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com