Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Requesting advice/help from the TU guys on the site

From Johnstown, PA
Mike .......... It is a very admirable thing to imagine that the Conemaugh could be restored to it's pre=devastated condition , but also a very daunting task. Not impossible , look at the Stonycreek , the other stream that flows together to form the main stem of the Conemaugh at the "Point" Stadium in downtown Johnstown. If you get a chance sometime stand at the "Point" and look at the difference of the two waterways flowing together there , they both used to look like the Conemaugh. One of the folks responsible for the condition of the Stonycreek is Len Lichvar a local who is now a member of the PFBC , it might save a lot of time if you start by trying to speak to him , they started their efforts on Stonycreek above rt 30 in the tribs around Shanksville and worked downstream to what you can see at the "Point" GOOD LUCK and count me in.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 7:58

From Portage, PA
Osprey,

There is a lot of work going on right now to start this task. There are wetlands/amd clean up site being installed off or rout 164 in Portage. This will clean up approx 2 miles of trout stream on Trout run. This is great and a good start. There are 3 or 4 more seeps from this point that wipe out trout run. IF we can clean up these two other seaps. Trout run will be clean in the town of portage all the way to where it dumps into the little Conemaugh, near Reds on rout 53, Just outside of Portage, before wilmore.

The little conemaugh gets wiped out from the Hughes borehole and another borhole Just above reds near the sewage treatment plant. These things are nasty, have a ph of about 2 where it comes out. Plans have been thought up try and connect the Hughes and this borehole and create one wetland system to take care of both. I am not sure about what after this point from Wilmore, through South Fork, and down to Johnstown, but if we can get the Hughes and the rout 53 cleaned up I think it will be clean all the way to Southfork. SO possibly 6 or 7 miles of stream. I know this will take a long time to clean up even after the possible wetland system would be installed. But if we focus all efforts to the headwaters now, we can really make progress.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 9:19

From Cambria County
The little conemaugh is a great little stream. Doesn't hurt that its literally 400 feet from my front porch. It seems like a daunting task, but just look at how far the stream has come considering a mere 5 years ago, it had raw sewage from a whole town flowing into it.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 9:50

From LV
If you are catching "holdovers" and it's not an ATW then why are you saying you are catching holdovers? I mean think about that before you say they are not wild fish.
Okay, now this may not apply, but the first thing to look at is, does the stream have a forested buffer and is there agricultural activity along the stream. This is a 2 part question, because even if there is not farming there may not be mature buffering along the stream for numerous reasons. Is there mining activity? Has anyone assessed the stream that knows what they are doing?
Are the banks severely eroded, or is the stream incised? These are some of the things you need to ask yourself, the first thing you should do is ask the local PFBC biologist how the stream and what he can tell you about it. Then find out about an assessment. Only then do you know where to start.
I've been involved as an officer and member of T.U. for more then 25 years and have been involved in all of our chapters projects for that time frame.
As far as clean-ups, they bring attention to the stream and the problems it has, but to me it's mostly a feel good thing, for those not interested in doing the heavy work. That's okay, becuase it helps gain access to streams or preserve access to streams.
As for the area you are addressing one of the TU chapters in the area is working very hard in that drainage. I believe it is Laurel Mountain Chapter, but they are working with 2 other chapters out there, Mountain Laurel TU

Posted on: 2013/2/11 14:39

From Portage, PA
Thanks Chaz,

I am in the early stages of getting a group together with my current organization first. I agree that a stream clean up is sort of a feel good thing, but i could get a few more people interested in helping my main objective.

IF I cant make ground with this I may look elsewhere. Once I get a "foundation" of volunteers and such I will reach out to the PAFBC. I am really interested in this type of assessment and may even try and pursue a degree in Biology, once I finish up my Gen Ed, classes.

The holdovers I am talking about I would rule out being wild. Maybe this is not a justified belief but catching multiple 16"+ rainbows in a stream that was heavily polluted 5 years ago does not seem too plausible that they are wild, but i will not say it is 100% impossible.

I will let you know how the meeting gos, and may seek advice from your given your expansive resume of stream improvement projects dates back to before I was born ;)

Posted on: 2013/2/11 15:09

From Portage, PA
http://fishandboat.com/water/habitat/ ... e_shows/trout_habitat.pdf

A slide show of the diffrent methods that have been used to increase habitat.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 15:37

From LV
When we first started work on the Perkiomen we contacted everyone, from schools to the Scouts to Churches, maybe even Zebras. Leave no stone unturned, but definitely contact the T.U. they are working in the watershed, and they have a lot of info on it.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 15:44

From Portage, PA
I have just contacted the PFBC about their Cooperative Habitat Improvement Program. I printed all of the information I could find to present at the meeting. The program states that any organization, or private individual can be considered the cooperator.

I am looking forward to receiving correspondence from the PFBC officail in charge of this to get the ball rolling. I am excited and eager to get this off the ground, but know that it will take many years to see the results of this project. I must understand, and relay to my organization that this is not about fishing alone, and that it is more about improving the habitat and ecology of the stream.

I will keep you all posted on how i make out with this indevor.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 16:12

From Portage, PA
Mike, you know that I'm definitely in to help out in anyway I can. Keep me updated on what's going on.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 18:26

From Portage, PA
Will do steelhead.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 22:24

From Portage, PA
The meeting went well. I was appointed chairman of the committee for conservation and stream improvements. I will be focusing on The Little Conemaugh River. I will be submitting the paperwork now. I am also learning more about the trout in the classroom program and want to add some cold-water education to my local high school.

Wish me luck guys. I think my biggest issues, if approved, will be acquiring help.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:09

From Armstrong County
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
If you are catching "holdovers" and it's not an ATW then why are you saying you are catching holdovers? I mean think about that before you say they are not wild fish.

I believe his club stocks the stream in question, that is why they are holdovers. Best of luck with the project Mike!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:18

From Portage, PA
Thanks brookie. I will be taking a ton of pictures of this adventure of the before, after, and such. I am eager to start the early phases of this and want to be involved in the stream assessments and such as much as I can be. The biggest thing is to ensure that anything that is done, will be done correctly, with much thought put into it. It will take a decent amount of time to get everything in place, with permits and such, and for the improvement areas to sustain more habitat and such.

I will be looking at setting my stream clean up for the weekend after the "Trout Rodeo" on the stream. I never participate in the rodeo, I probably should since i practically have these fish named ;)

Posted on: 2013/2/13 6:34

From Portage, PA
Does anyone have the PFBC-60 form or know where I can find it. I checked their website and performed a google seach on this as well, and came up empty handed. This form is needed to gain permission from private land owners to make the stream improvements.

I emailed the contact at the PFBC on this, but would like to get the forms ready as soon as I can. If anyone has this form please pm me and email it to me.

Thank you

Posted on: 2013/2/13 8:25

From LV
It is a waste of my time to try to help when you ignore the help offered and go off and do your own thing. TU has a coalition that's been working in this watershed for, I'm going to say 20 years, and now you want to duplicate all that work and do your own thing.
I know you don't like TU Mike, but really? IT's a waste of resources to duplicate others work.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 10:04

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com