Dept. of Environmental Protection
Commonwealth News Bureau
Room 308, Main Capitol Building
Harrisburg PA., 17120

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
03/7/2011

Katy Gresh, Department of Environmental Protection Southwest Regional Office
412-442-4203

DEP Announces Testing for Radioactivity of River Water Downstream of Marcellus Water Treatment Plants Shows Water Is Safe

HARRISBURG -- The Department of Environmental Protection today announced results of in-stream water quality monitoring for radioactive material in seven of the commonwealth’s rivers. All samples showed levels at or below the normal naturally occurring background levels of radioactivity.

The tests were conducted in November and December of 2010 at stations downstream of wastewater treatment plants that accept flowback and production water from Marcellus Shale drilling.

“We deal in facts based on sound science,” said DEP acting Secretary Michael Krancer. “Here are the facts: all samples were at or below background levels of radioactivity; and all samples showed levels below the federal drinking water standard for Radium 226 and 228.”

Krancer said that these sampling stations were installed last fall specifically to monitor stream quality for potential impacts of Marcellus development.

Krancer explained that the water tested is the raw water in the river before it enters public water suppliers’ intakes where the water receives further treatment.

The river testing stations that were evaluated are the Monongahela at Charleroi in Washington County; South Fork Ten Mile Creek in Greene County; Conemaugh in Indiana County; Allegheny at Kennerdell in Venango County; Beaver in Beaver County; Tioga in Tioga County; and the West Branch of the Susquehanna in Lycoming County.

For more information about DEP, visit www.depweb.state.pa.us or call
412-442-4203.

Thanks, was lookin for that to post, heard it on the radio yesterday. It's in response to the two headed fish thread a bit farther down.

I would expect the testing to have these results, we are very early in to the drilling process. are we going to have CONTINUOUS testing? maybe 2 or 3 times a year. the article didn't seem to mention anything about ongoing testing.
what about cumulative affects of the waste water? just too many unknowns yet. DEP thinks because they tested water once, this early in the process, that everything is going to be safe?
do we really want to take chances like this with our drinking water?
would YOU want to drink water downstream of any of that crap?
maybe we'll have to rely on local authorities and municipalities to test their own supplies. I DO know that if any drilling takes place within 10 or so miles of me, I will be testing my well before any drilling takes place and then once a month after that. you just can't be too careful with drinking water.

Thanks Mike. I think continuous testing would be desired but it should be done by water authorities at their intakes on the affected rivers. I could also see an argument requiring water treatment systems which accept waste drilling fluids to maintain permanent monitoring downstream of their outflows.

Who would like to see the official documents that the New York Times was able to obtain? Interesting reading...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/01/us/natural-gas-documents-2.html#document/p109/a10135

There are official documents as well as copies of e-mails sent between parties. There is one e-mail that talks about removing the county conservation district from the loop completely so that they will no longer be doing inspections-with that being a good thing. There is also talk of not submitting compliance spreadsheets to the DEP because doing so would make the information available to the public.

There are other documents that cover Wastewater Regulations, Marcellus Shale development, Radioactivity, Wastewater used as Dust Suppressant, E-mail Exchange on Exemptions from Fed Law, New Officials, Conference Call b/w Industry Regulators and State Regulators, E-mail Pressuring State against Regulation, Resisting New State Standards on Contaminants, E-mail from State Checking with Industry on Press Release. 116 pages in all!

Thanks Mike for the first post!

If you believe anything relating to the affects of gas drilling coming out of the bought and paid for Corbett administration, I have an old bridge over the Brandywine I'd like to sell you.

Krancer quote: “One need only look to the former Iron Curtain experience and the pollution that is there to prove that a moribund economy is the enemy of environmental protection.”

We're looking at a real genius here. Why would he even go there???? Maybe to justify the drilling and not taxing the drillers. Do you think?

Another Krancer quote.....“Responsible, strong, vibrant and growing business is necessary as an engine for the protection of the environment.” Read between the lines. Where do we find these buffoons? He's not even smart enough to attempt to mask what he's planning to do.

Back