Quittie Stream Restoration

S

scotto

As some of you may know the Quitte Watershed Association, along with other interested groups, are working diligently to implement a stream restoration project from the Nature Park to Rt 934. Their efforts were greatly hindered when they were informed an "archeological survey" would be required in order to continue the permitting process. With resources maxed out due to the expense and time of permitting and the scope of the project(estmated costs of $400k), funding was not available for the survey. The Doc Fritchey TU stream steward, who has been instrumental in the project, requested funding from the Chapter. I am happy and proud to announce DFTU has donated the $21,000 to fund the survey and allow the project to continue. Does this mean the project will ultimately be completed? NO. There are still important funding and permitting issues, but because of the dedication of the organizations spearheading the project, I believe the chances are excellent. To get involved, see www.dftu.org , and look up the contact info for the Quittie stream steward. Great job to all!!!

Kudos to the good folks at DFTU!

This sounds like an ambitious, expensive, complicated, and long term project that will take time and funding but be of great benefit to the stream. Good luck and here's wishing you great success.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks for the update Scotto. The Quitty has always had a special place in my heart because it's where I think I really got the hang of this whole fly fishing thing. I helped DFTU and the watershed association with some of the earlier stream improvements including the big mud sill at the upper end of the DHALO stretch. Hope the project can get done. That stream has a lot of potential imo.

I would think the archaelogical survey will mostly turn up a lot of trash that has washed down from the city of lebanon over the years. Should be some interesting finds. LOL

McSneek,

the potantial problem with the survey is that the Quittie was a well travelled route between the Tully & Swattie by both Native Americans and early European settlers whp may have had camps, villages, etc. that may produce artifacts of interest to historians. I will update as I hear about findings.

Scott

Back