Privatization of State parks?

iceyguides

iceyguides

http://articles.philly.com/2011-08-05/news/29854808_1_state-parks-study-privatization-private-control

Lifeguards? Really? that's why we should privatize state parks? Sounds like a poor excuse for a trojan horse to me. I'm sure paying state park lifeguards is what is wrong with the economy. Does anyone else find even just the thought of privatizing state parks utterly ridiculous, fundamentally wrong, and outrageous?

Very bad idea. The state parks are not theirs to privatize, they belong to all of us. Our government is full of idiots

This is what happens when the far right sweeps elections.

We made our bed, now we'll be charged to lay in it.

This is a terrible idea. These parks are supposed to be for the people.

Jay, I'm not sure that this has to do with "far right" or "far left". It has to do with our govt, either side, not being able to "balance their checkbook" and the voters having to pick up the tab as usual...whether its in the form of cuts or higher taxes. You and I don't spend money we don't have, so why should the govt be able to? Its an inherent problem with both sides.

I work for an authority that falls under city govt jurisdiction (quite a grey area here) and the subject of privitization always comes up. If a private company would buy this department, it must have the ability to be profitable...so why can't the current administration run it in a fashion that turns a profit? Because they don't have to.

Sorry just ranting.

I don't disagree. I am just lamenting all the calls for privatization that I've heard from so many of my far right wing friends.

I agree that it's a bad idea.

Remember when the next election rolls around.

Here in York we had a community pool. It was a York Twp property. It was mortgaged for 5mil. The patrons had to pay a yearly fee. It was reasonable. Then after the mortgage was 80% paid for (1 mil left) some wackjob got onto council and said that the twp shouldn't be in the rec business, Its a private industry enterprise. She got the votes to sell the pool and grounds to an entity from Lancaster to develop it into a for profit club. (oh it had a full gym, weights, tennis courts, etc.)

Well, they sold it for a song....a little over what was owed. She thought she made the twp a profit. Now we have no pool.

After another two years the pool would have brought in surplus revenue. She didn't care about that, she just felt it shouldnt be on the books. She was voted out but the damage was done.

And the private industry folks got a profitable business for a song.

Guess which party she was with....

Oh and they closed the pool, filled it in with dirt. Now they mow it.

That council women ended up saving your township untold millions of dollars. Sounds like it was a huge liability. Some poor kid drowns, parents sue township. Not only is pool getting shut down with no compensation to the township but teachers, policemen and firefighters are getting laid off. You guys should erect a statue of her.

Also I don't get all the anti-privatization. I for one am looking forward to my vacation at Dicks Sporting Goods presents Ricketts Glenn State Park.

yer funny.....

JasonS wrote:
That council women ended up saving your township untold millions of dollars. Sounds like it was a huge liability. Some poor kid drowns, parents sue township. Not only is pool getting shut down with no compensation to the township but teachers, policemen and firefighters are getting laid off. You guys should erect a statue of her.

Meh. That's what insurance is for!

I do wonder why, if it had such huge profit potentials, it is now filled in?

jdaddy wrote:
JasonS wrote:

Meh. That's what insurance is for!

I do wonder why, if it had such huge profit potentials, it is now filled in?

Because PFBC needed the land to build condos obv

Privatization can mean a lot of things. In the case of the LCB it means selling off the stores and getting out of the business. At other times it means hiring a private company to run the property but retaining ownership. I could see some upside or some downside to the latter approach. I'd be interested to hear the proposals.

I think the anomaly with the state parks is that they don't produce or sell any goods. Sure, you pay to camp, but it would appear that staffing costs and maintenance more than eat up that revenue. I'll further assume that any private entity would have to drastically change the way the parks are run in order to make it worthwhile fiscally...say for example, you buy an annual "park permit" like a fishing license to use the park system...camping sites, trail usage, fishing, etc. will be an additional al a carte fee, lets not forget the concession stands...it might look more like an amusement park than a state park. this is all assumption of course.

The privatization of "state stores" on the other hand makes more sense because they have a product that history has proven repeatedly is in very high demand.

turkey wrote:

The privatization of "state stores" on the other hand makes more sense because they have a product that history has proven repeatedly is in very high demand.

Idk man, would you sell off a super profitable monopoly? I know they get to rule the franchisees with an iron fist but still.

I'm not sure why they want to privitize state stores, other than quick buck. However, if I can buy Iceberg Vodka in PA via store or mail order, then fine. Do it.

gfen wrote:
I'm not sure why they want to privitize state stores, other than quick buck. However, if I can buy Iceberg Vodka in PA via store or mail order, then fine. Do it.

Instant cash infusion. Plus they still get tax money, get rid of over head, etc.

Cool I'm buyin the canyon and charging you guys to fish.....A plug nickel for the day on assigned beats...oh and $250.00 tax and liability insurance a day...

On the surface it doesn't sound good. "The devil's in the details". Wasn't there a proposal some years ago to devlop some state parks, ie: building hotels? Hopefully he opened mouth before engaging brain.

State Parks are owned by the State (us...the taxpayers), and having to pay someone (a privately owned business) to visit and enjoy our parks is kinda crazy.

I agree, the "State Store" system in PA is kinda crazy, and I am all for selling them to private business concerns.

Back