Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Privatization of State parks?

From SEPA
I'm not sure why they want to privitize state stores, other than quick buck. However, if I can buy Iceberg Vodka in PA via store or mail order, then fine. Do it.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 23:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
I'm not sure why they want to privitize state stores, other than quick buck. However, if I can buy Iceberg Vodka in PA via store or mail order, then fine. Do it.

Instant cash infusion. Plus they still get tax money, get rid of over head, etc.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 0:27

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Cool I'm buyin the canyon and charging you guys to fish.....A plug nickel for the day on assigned beats...oh and $250.00 tax and liability insurance a day...

Posted on: 2011/8/27 6:05

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From York
On the surface it doesn't sound good. "The devil's in the details". Wasn't there a proposal some years ago to devlop some state parks, ie: building hotels? Hopefully he opened mouth before engaging brain.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 7:55

From Chester County
State Parks are owned by the State (us...the taxpayers), and having to pay someone (a privately owned business) to visit and enjoy our parks is kinda crazy.

I agree, the "State Store" system in PA is kinda crazy, and I am all for selling them to private business concerns.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 8:09

Quote:

jayL wrote:
This is what happens when the far right sweeps elections.

We made our bed, now we'll be charged to lay in it.

Exactly! Don't blame the govnt., blame the voters. Voters knee-jerk to the hot button issues and end up voting for extremes (left or right). What happened to Moderates?

Posted on: 2011/8/27 8:29

Quote:

afishinado wrote:

I agree, the "State Store" system in PA is kinda crazy, and I am all for selling them to private business concerns.

That seems to be a blue law that's antiquated. Although I think privatizing the SP system is a really BAD idea, I think government run liquor stores are a really BAD idea, too. I rarely drink, but I think liquor stores are much better off in the hands of entrepreneurs. Then tax the alcohol sales for revenue. (IMO)

Posted on: 2011/8/27 8:34

From Harrisburg
Quote:

FlySwatter wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:
This is what happens when the far right sweeps elections.

We made our bed, now we'll be charged to lay in it.

Exactly! Don't blame the govnt., blame the voters. Voters knee-jerk to the hot button issues and end up voting for extremes (left or right). What happened to Moderates?

Dear flyswatter,

Are there any other moderates left besides you and I?

I don't think that privatizing every conceivable thing is a good idea at all. While there are many businesses that are sucessful over a long term there are also businesses that fail on a daily basis.

In my way of thinking privatizing something like State Parks and putting them in the hands of the HIGH BIDDER, because that is how it would be done, is a recipe for disaster.

It won't be long before the high bidder has investors screaming for returns and it runs out of capital. Service will decline and user costs will increase to make up the difference, ultimately everything will fail.

Governor Corbett and the State's Republican leadership have a ready made solution to the budget shortfall staring them right in the face yet they steadfastly refuse to tax the gas drillers.

Instead they prefer to offer up ridiculous alternative solutions in hopes that the populace becomes desperate enough to consider them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/8/27 13:40
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:

Yes. We're the majority.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 14:26

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:

Yes. We're the majority.

...yet our voices are not heard. My theory is the extremists devote more time and energy to their causes and become the squeaky wheels in government.

As far as Darth Corbett is concerned, consider the heavy-handed budget cuts to education, the arts and social programs compared to the $20 million grant he signed to renovate PNC field (Lackawanna Co.). The management (NY Yankees + Mandalay Sports Properties) can't get a decent crowd there now (A-Rod's rehab excluded), but throwing school money at it will solve that problem.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 17:25

From LV
Privatization could lead to selling off of a couple million acres of land for next to nothing, leaving the public with nothing.
Privatize the friggin Governor, better yet force feed him tea until he explodes or p1$$3$ himself to death.

Posted on: 2011/8/28 21:24

From Greensburg, PA
I don;t think they would be sold outright but leased for private enterprise. Laurel mtn. ski area is on state land but leased by 7-springs ski resort's ownership. Of course if this is an example of the success we can expect, they might as well just lock it up now.

Posted on: 2011/8/28 22:45

From florida
Take the government out of the equasion and everything is owned by businesses.Less government,less taxes,less intrusion. Sound familliar.
Our Gov. wanted to put privately run campgrounds on state park land. Typical example of what the Republicans see as supporting private businesses. Fortunately it was stopped locally,but I'm sure it will be tried again. Which president wanted to sell off the National Parks?

Posted on: 2011/8/29 8:46

From Lansdale
It won't be long before the high bidder has investors screaming for returns and it runs out of capital. Service will decline and user costs will increase to make up the difference, ultimately everything will fail.

THIS. And the movie said "Greed works"; but for whom?

Posted on: 2011/8/30 6:08

From Lansdale

THIS. And the movie said "Greed works"; but for whom?

As far as Darth Corbett is concerned, consider the heavy-handed budget cuts to education, the arts and social programs compared to the $20 million grant he signed to renovate PNC field (Lackawanna Co.). The management (NY Yankees + Mandalay Sports Properties) can't get a decent crowd there now (A-Rod's rehab excluded), but throwing school money at it will solve that problem.

And Corbett's as A**.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 6:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com