Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Potential consequences for the private stocking

Jack,
Since you live in SW Pa., here is the contact info for the educational outreach personnel at the SW Regional Law Enforcement Office in Somerset. I expect that that individual will either answer directly or ask the Law Enforcement supervisors at that office to answer your question. I would recommend that you just copy your questions to this individual. I would refer you to the individual by name, but I don't know who covers the educational outreach in SW Pa.

ra-swedureach@state.pa.us

Posted on: 2011/2/14 13:44

From LV
I've caught enough wild trout in Cold Run over the years to know that the trout population is way up and warrents being surveyed for it's current status. As for Sacony Creek I've never fished it I have no knowledge of it other than it has a wild trout population.
But another stream that has been surveyed and isn't on the list is Pocono Creek. Unfortunately it's nearly all on private land as such it wouldn't have many advocates. It is threatened by development and literally being overrun by greed along the rt 611 corridor.

Posted on: 2011/2/19 20:33

I think what happens in cold run is the brookies move down into the stocked water in the winter. From experiance the class A section is a higher population once summer comes and the bigger stocked water has more brookies in the winter. The stocked section is most likely class A though. Certainly if it wasnt stocked it would be. A stream that has cool summer temperatures and good habitat should be able to maintain class A status below its headwaters in my opinion the stocked section is great brookie water.

Posted on: 2011/2/19 22:26

Electrofishing in late winter has shown that just the opposite is what is apparently happening. Few adult wild brook trout are present in the stocked section of Cold Run while the upper part of stocked stretch of Beaver Ck is loaded. Beaver was a stocked section at the time of the study. The point here is that it is most likely that the brookies move upstream for the winter in this system.

This would be consistent with previous studies that have been done statewide that have flown in the face of what some anglers on this board have claimed...that the wild trout in freestone streams are exposed to substantial fishing pressure and harvest on opening day or weekend such that they don't recover for the rest of the season. This "truism" is not supported by not one, but two different studies looking at different aspects. First, electrofishing wild trout streams showed that adult trout biomass and abundance is much lower just before opening day than they are later in the summer of the same year. Second, the statewide creel survey documented low fishing pressure and harvest on wild trout streams, so even if opening weekend pressure and harvest were greater, the overall effect was negligible. Angler counts that I saw were not very high on opening day on wild trout streams and neither was the harvest, although there was some.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 12:50

From Johnstown, PA
This is a very interesting issue and there is a ton of grey area to wander around in. Most of the co-ops in this area of the state , swpa , are on class A or tribs os class A and in the case of these , how much closer do you think you could get to a wild fish than one raised right there in the same water with the same chemical make up and temp and ph etc. Most of those co-ops raise quality fish in quality water and then stock them in that water , genetics is a problem that could easily be rectified. I also know a few places where there are private hatcheries on class A streams? How does that work?

Posted on: 2011/2/27 6:46

Quote:

Mike wrote:

First, electrofishing wild trout streams showed that adult trout biomass and abundance is much lower just before opening day than they are later in the summer of the same year.

What is going on with the trout that explains those field findings? Do you and the other biologists know, or have any good theories?

Is it that the number of adult trout is higher later in the summer simply because you have a large group that grow through the summer enough that they cross the line that defines adult trout vs juvenile trout? Or is something else involved?

Posted on: 2011/2/27 10:05

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com