Post your favorite conservation quotes

B

Buggy

“Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.”

-Chief Seattle

There is much debate on the true author of this quote.

Just dump it in the crick..

"Periodic #OOPS#ing is an unavoidable symptom of a lifetime spent fishing: Older fishermen have been around so much beauty for so long that even a single beer can tossed on the bank of a stream looks like pure ruination- and this from men who, in our younger, wilder days, carelessly disposed of some empty beer cans ourselves. Now we pick them up, possibly as some kind of penance."

Gierach

afishinado wrote:
Dilution is the solution to pollution...

:-o :evil: :roll: :-? :cry:

Its "Dilution is the Solution to Water Pollution"

And I always liked....

"you are either part of the Solution or part of the Precipitate" Thats more of a science geek thingy but science =conservation.

How about "we all live downstream"

I think Buggy is looking for more on the lines of Aldo Leopold quotes and Leef Wulff "a game fish is too valuable to be caught only once" or whoever the hell it was that said that....

Strip mining prevents forest fires.

"We can't just sit around letting the forest destroy itself!"
(In a letter to the editor in the Warren Times Observer concerning limiting logging in the ANF)

SonofZ,

I know that quote concerns logging. But many on here would say it is true if it referred to deer, as without human intervention the herd would overpopulate and destroy the forest.

Jay, I remember reading that passage of Gierach's and immediately thought of this board.

"When they are children, young boys are magnetically drawn to streams. They move rocks around, build little dams and do all they can to conquer/change them.

When they grow up, they get more expensive toys like bulldozers, explosives and cranes, but they continue the same work they did as children."

Dr. Alvin R. "Bus" Grove, Author, Professor of Botany at PSU and one of the founders of TU in Pennsylvania

“It’s simple—if we put them back, they’re still there.”

Shawn Perich article about Lake Superior steelhead. Fly Rod & Reel, Nov/Dec 1991.

“Rivers are the veins of the earth, and give life to nature”

A belief of the Quecha, descendants of the Inca, in Peru.

"Give a hoot — don't pollute!" - Woodsy Owl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zpz1k5Mv4o

In the city or in the woods keep America- looking good! hoot hoot

Gotta love that!

Not as fun-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-FZsysQNw&feature=related

Paleface make'em mess.

pcray: It wasn't a letter addressing the need for deer control to avoid over browsing of the understory. It was a letter advocating cutting more timber because somehow an untimbered forest "destroys itself". The fact that trees, and forests, existed before industrial logging, and continue to do so (in lesser and lesser ammounts) proves that assumption wrong.

I have no problem with deer hunting, I am a deer hunter, and fully recognize that without managment our deer herd would damage our ecosystem and eventually starve out and propegate widespread disease. I DO wish we still had an apex predator along the lines of wolf or mountain lion in PA to help control the deer population in a manner other than hunting. I feel it reflects badly on PA's past game "managment" style that we HAVE to act as the predator to the deer herd, because we killed off everything that once did that job.

"Everything that exists in time runs out of time someday"
&
"If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear? Anybody hear the forests fall?"
Bruce Cockburn

And as a follow up....

"If a mime falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear, does it make a noise?"
unknown

Sonofz's last comment immediately reminded me of this one:

We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes—something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.

National Lampoon magazine sold a T-shirt "NUKE THE WHALES"

SonofZ3,

You're own logic fails itself. And here's where. The forests that we have, like the deer herd, are not the original forests. The situation has changed due to our past neglect.

Throughout the northern tier, since most of the area was logged completely, most of the trees are of the same general age. A diversity of species as well as ages are obviously the healthy, and original situation. Even if we left it go, it wouldn't be healthy for hundreds of years into the future. Small clearcuts and selective logging help correct this situation by adding diversity to the age of the trees. They are good for the forest and just about every woodland animal found within, provided it is allowed to grow back of course.

IMO, logging is a great story of how we learn from past mistakes. We did it wrong when we nearly totally logged off the forests of PA, and totally destroyed the habitat as a result. Now its being done fairly well and improving a bad situation.

Logging needs to be closely regulated, and for the most part, it is. I have a few gripes but they're minor. But ironically, because of past logging abuses, opposing logging in all forms is dangerous and damaging to the ecosystem.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it hitched to the rest of the universe" - John Muir

Back