Poconos / CPA / NEPA Conservancy's ?

geebee

geebee

Anyone know anyone in any orgs in those areas who would have a mandate to conserve currently private land and water in the poconos for public recreation ?

A former private owners land n water is for sale and I want to make sure the right people get it if I can....

I can't buy it myself and gift it to a 501c3 as banks won't mortgage rec land without 30% deposit, I can't Crowdfund it due to confidentiality issues, and I can't form a fishing club / camp without it pissing off a shed load of good folks, so last resort is call in the good guys.

I have no financial interest at all - I just stumbled on it when i was looking for myself for a small bit of land to restore.

Not that it's relevant but it's 48+ acres of preserved land plus a mile or so of a major poconos creek. The seller says its class A but I'm not sure, but you can guess the ball park sale price huh ?

If any org members can put me in touch with a Director etc i think we all could be grateful one day .

FYI this thread is just to request the relevant contacts, i did discuss it with Dkile first, and I'm not canvassing $$ in any way at all.

If anyone has any ethical issues, I'm open to listening; and no I'm not telling where it is not even by PM.

Thanks in advance

Mark

this could be a way to meet consrvncy people:

"The Western Pocono Chapter of Trout Unlimited and the Carbon County Environmental Education Center will host a program, Meet the Land Conservancies, on Tuesday, March 18, at 7 p.m. This special event will be held at the Carbon County Environmental Education Center on Mauch Chunk Lake near Jim Thorpe. The program will feature a panel presentation and discussion with five of the most prominent land conservancies and land trusts in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Representatives from The Nature Conservancy, The Pocono Land Trust, The Wildlands Conservancy, The North Branch Land Trust, and The Natural Lands Trust will explain what they do and how they do it. The meeting is open free to the public with no registration required. For more information, call 570-454-4862, 570-233-0099 or the Carbon County Environmental Education Center at 570-645-8597."

I know someone whos trying to do the same exact thing. This piece of land is up off 209. Right now a private club is ending their lease on it and it is up for sale. It has huge stockers in it now but the wild trout fishing I've experienced in it would be totally worth it. Good luck!- Kev

k-bob wrote:
this could be a way to meet consrvncy people:

"The Western Pocono Chapter of Trout Unlimited and the Carbon County Environmental Education Center will host a program, Meet the Land Conservancies, on Tuesday, March 18, at 7 p.m. This special event will be held at the Carbon County Environmental Education Center on Mauch Chunk Lake near Jim Thorpe. The program will feature a panel presentation and discussion with five of the most prominent land conservancies and land trusts in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Representatives from The Nature Conservancy, The Pocono Land Trust, The Wildlands Conservancy, The North Branch Land Trust, and The Natural Lands Trust will explain what they do and how they do it. The meeting is open free to the public with no registration required. For more information, call 570-454-4862, 570-233-0099 or the Carbon County Environmental Education Center at 570-645-8597."

fantastic, i can't make the meeting, but three of those look promising.

fisherboy3 wrote:
I know someone whos trying to do the same exact thing. This piece of land is up off 209. Right now a private club is ending their lease on it and it is up for sale.

its not that one....

I wouldn't advertise that in public though, your friend may not appreciate it if another club comes in and take it or worse a wealthy individual who doesn't fish but wants it for tubing - which did happen on Conewago Creek in Adams Co.

fisherboy3 wrote:
I know someone whos trying to do the same exact thing. This piece of land is up off 209. Right now a private club is ending their lease on it and it is up for sale. It has huge stockers in it now but the wild trout fishing I've experienced in it would be totally worth it. Good luck!- Kev
Check with Brodhead TU, they are working with the Monroe County Parks to preserve land along the Brodhead and other streams.

Geebee, there are a few clubs up that way. I will never say where exactly and he told me at the time it was a thought of the club, he wasnt positive they were going to sell. Good luck with your though!- Kev

there is also Pocono Heritage Land Trust

Wildlands Conservancy has many contacts and has already been successful in a # of major purchases and land transfers in the Poconos area. Definitely a group I'd look to get in contact with.

I live in Monroe county and would recommend these

http://www.brodheadwatershed.org/index.html
or monre county as they have a great open space program.
Even some of the townships have open space programs.

Back