Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Piping through amish land

From Lancaster Co.
Some of you guys really need to get your facts straight. There is Marcellus gas going right into the distribution system of gas utilities in this State. Long before many of you heard of the Marcellus shale there was gas drilling in PA and local gas being consumed locally.

Posted on: 4/5 16:52

And long before PA's northern tier forests were flattened and stream systems destroyed in the excessive exploitation of a few species for charcoal, tannin bark, lumber and railroad ties, people used trees to make homes and warm them.

Posted on: 4/6 11:05

From lancaster county
Lancaster county is only 16 percent forest land. Are you suggesting it's ok to cut through the middle of what we have left?

We have impaired air quality. The trees are important.

Posted on: 4/6 12:37

Pipelines are a mess, as they currently are.

They cut through the geology at the lowest cost option; not at the lowest impact.
They impact every stream and watershed. Each and every stream crossing is a potential future emergency hazard during critical emergency conditions - i.e. floods, earthquakes, etc.
They require, at crossing points, stream banks and bank encroachments to be fairly soil unstabilized, mostly unvegetated and the stream bottom and channel to be relatively lifeless.
They require additional costs and funds to maintain for their relatively short engineering lifespans, especially compared to the environment in which they are placed.

That said, given its flatness of terrain, overall Lancaster County is pretty much a lot better place to place another pipeline rather than say another Amish area further north. But through the conservancy grounds?

Posted on: 4/6 14:58

RE: to Sal, no not suggesting cutting trees. Was arguing against Mac's suggestion that because we already drilled for gas in the past, this new type and increased boon drilling is the same thing.

Posted on: 4/6 15:03

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Lancaster county is only 16 percent forest land. Are you suggesting it's ok to cut through the middle of what we have left?

We have impaired air quality. The trees are important.

Trees are important and personally I wish there were a lot more of them in Lancaster County but most of it was converted into a giant cornfield years ago.

So we should keep burning coal to generate electricity? Continue to import oil from the middle east? I respect your position and passion. Personally I think conservation efforts in Lancaster County need to be focused on reducing the huge amounts of farm waste, fertilizer, nitrates, soil, etc. that is flowing into the Chesapeake system on a daily basis.

Posted on: 4/7 9:56

From Ephrata, PA
Here's a question, Sal. If it follows the powerlines, isn't that land that has already been cleared? This would be worth finding out.

Posted on: 4/7 12:11

From Lancaster County
Does anyone have a link to a more detailed graphic of where the proposed Central Penn line is supposed to go? I'd like to take a look at some facts as opposed to newspaper handringing, as Conservancy land covers a fair amount of acreage in the River Hills. Also, for all I can tell from the graphic in the newspaper report, this goes through my backyard.

Posted on: 4/7 12:42

From lancaster county
Mcsneek,

I agree our effort should mainly lay on the farmland but I'm not about to put some of the best streams we have for habitat and water quality under threat either. Especially those on public land.

As far as the gas, I couldn't careless about it. I'd rather pay double to heat my crumby apartment and pay an extra 2000 dollars in taxes a year just to make them stay out of the conservancy.

Sasquatch,

As far as I know they would need to clear a 100 foot wide space. I also don't remember seeing any power lines through tucquan glen in the middle of the forest . A more detailed map is needed.

Either way, Williams has a long history of not maintaining their pipes and has had many fires/ explosions. On as early as 4/5/14 in wv. Look it up. I don't have to tell you the devestation that would cause on the conservancy property .

Posted on: 4/7 13:11

From lancaster county
Also I never suggested not putting in the pipes. However it really does appear that they specifically targeted these lands.

Why compensate the farmers when you can get it for free!
Here in lancaster you don't f with agriculture but we will cut down every last tree in the name of a dollar.

Posted on: 4/7 13:21

From lancaster county
This is the most detailed map I could find , and it sucks.

Map

Posted on: 4/7 13:38

From Lancaster County
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Mcsneek,

I agree our effort should mainly lay on the farmland but I'm not about to put some of the best streams we have for habitat and water quality under threat either. Especially those on public land.

As far as the gas, I couldn't careless about it. I'd rather pay double to heat my crumby apartment and pay an extra 2000 dollars in taxes a year just to make them stay out of the conservancy.

Sasquatch,

As far as I know they would need to clear a 100 foot wide space. I also don't remember seeing any power lines through tucquan glen in the middle of the forest . A more detailed map is needed.

Either way, Williams has a long history of not maintaining their pipes and has had many fires/ explosions. On as early as 4/5/14 in wv. Look it up. I don't have to tell you the devestation that would cause on the conservancy property .

There is a power line that goes right over Tucquan Woodworks (the home/business right in between the parking areas on River Road). There is another one upstream, before the road transitions to asphalt. My guess is it would be the latter line, as the former goes down to Holtwood Power Plant. PPL has a lot but not all of the land under those lines locked up under their ownership.

Your map download link is not working for me.

Posted on: 4/7 14:54

From lancaster county
That makes sense. I never really tried or looked much upstream of the parking area. I didn't think there were any downstream.

Now the link isn't working for me either. Oh well it was only a little more detailed than the paper's map

Posted on: 4/7 15:31

From Erie Co.
I've been told there are plans to send Pennsylvania gas to Eastern Europe. The schedule has been pushed up very quickly so the people will not stay warm this winter. Remember we have a governor up for election this year and no taxes on the gas leaving Pennsylvania.

Posted on: 4/7 18:24

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

CRB wrote:
I've been told there are plans to send Pennsylvania gas to Eastern Europe. The schedule has been pushed up very quickly so the people will not stay warm this winter.

What do you mean the people will not stay warm this winter?! Who? Pennsylvanians? Do you really believe that?

Posted on: 4/7 19:49

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com