Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Pine Creek watershed probable issue

From Butler, Pa
never been there but according to the report I would say sandfly is on the money with his analysis. I almost always power wash my canoe after using it and then heading to different waters

Posted on: 2013/7/9 13:52

From Berks County
I thought Didymo dies when it dries. If that is the case, I would think a canoe or raft would be dry by the time it was transported from the Delaware to Pine Creek.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 14:24

From barto PA
Interesting. Never even heard of this and I kayak all the time. So what can be done to clean boats or waders??? Bleach mixed with water and wash?? Letting your boat dry for days before going into another waterway??

Posted on: 2013/7/9 14:57

From Berks County
Quote:

PASKIINGSUCKS wrote:
Interesting. Never even heard of this and I kayak all the time. So what can be done to clean boats or waders??? Bleach mixed with water and wash?? Letting your boat dry for days before going into another waterway??

I would think a kayak or canoe would dry quickly. The reason felt is so bad is because it doesn't dry quickly. It's like a sponge. I just have a hard time believing the spread of didymo to Pine Creek is from a watercraft of any sort. They would have to leave the Delaware River area and head right to Pine Creek. I just don't think that happens often and if it did, the watercraft would probably be dry from the ride there.

There is a solution that kills the stuff on contact, but I'm not sure what that consists of exactly.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 15:06

From Ephrata, PA
Look, it's like Krayfish said...you gonna get every goose and duck to wash their feet before entering a water system? It can't be done. We should be as cautious as possible, but also realistic. I think, as Kray has said, our best hope is developing something that can control this crap.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 15:24

From barto PA
So I take it this stuff is less resiliant than say zebra mussels?? I mean I realize it's a whole different organism. Just wondering because I live around the green lane res and they have that mandatory quarantine for the mussels. They make you hang your boat for a week before you can use it. Sounds like this stuff is gone as soon as it dries up. Obviously I'm not exactly a science major, just curious as an avid boater and fisherman.

Hold on, I'm drafting up a goose footwash right now actually.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:06

From Southeastern Pa
It may have been over the top to say its ruined but the point remains that someone could be responsible and I know if it were me I would be very sorry I wasn't more careful.

Kray has a point but its no excuse for laziness. On boats a simple mix of Clorox and water will work. I have heard a salt brine will kill it on felts.

I would hate to see some "goose" ruin the tort or Penns...

Posted on: 2013/7/9 20:05

From NC PA Mountains
Where did this stuff come from?

Posted on: 2013/7/9 20:51

From Dauphin PA
New Zealand

Posted on: 2013/7/9 21:38

From LV
The latest research indicates that felt soles have nothing to do with the spread of dydimo.
And you should clean your boat every time it is moved from one watershde to another.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 22:17

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
After observng didymo living on Pretty Boy dam, I believe the culprit is migratory hirds. I just can't see how the stuff would grow upstream and literally up the dam. Unless contamination occured in the lake itself. Just a thought. ...

Posted on: 2013/7/9 22:22

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Where did this stuff come from?

Actually, it is native to cool temperate waters of the far northern hemisphere.
It needs cool water to thrive, so that's why tailwaters have been prime places for it to take hold after introduction.

I would also think that true spring creeks would be good places for it to become established.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 23:52

From Pittsburgh
DFG has it correct. It was invasive to New Zealand...along with Hobbits.

There are a lot of threads that can be searched up here on the forum but here is link with some info.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 0:15

From SW PA/Tioga
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
The latest research indicates that felt soles have nothing to do with the spread of dydimo.
And you should clean your boat every time it is moved from one watershde to another.

Quote:

midgeman wrote:
I believe the culprit is migratory hirds.

Take peek at this map from 2008. This map is linked to from the link that turkey provided.

After looking at that, the only reasonable conclusion is that it is spread by anglers; specifically flyfishermen.

Birds usually migrate north and south not east and west. They have been doing it for millions of years. This is a more recent phenomenon.

It is the equivalent of a venereal disease.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 9:18

From Ephrata, PA
It won't thrive in Pine. Pine gets too warm. If it was in Pine above Galeton, then I think there could be a real issue.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 10:22

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com