Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Oil Spill in the Gulf.

From Johnstown, PA
The news this morning sounds like it was worse than the original info we were given , were we just lied to again or was the original opinion legitimate?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 7:36

Re: Oil Spill in the Gulf.

From Greensburg, PA
I have been following this and I am not so sure anyone was lied to. The leak is a mile down. This si kind of a first and BP isn't the only one providing the info. They have been very cooperative and are footing the bill for all of the cleanup so far.

With that said, this is unbelievably bad timing for the "drill baby, drill" crown and is a perfect example of why you can't just drill wherever and whenever you want. Not "if" but "when" this get to the shores its true impact will be understood. I have seen illustrations of the 3 "attempts" they plan to make to cap or contain this leak. They are all, "Well, if this doesn't work, then we do this..." scenarios and some are pretty out there. 5000 barrels a day!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 8:23

From Johnstown, PA
After having made a few trips down to Alabama and Louisianna to help out with Katrina , I feel so bad for the folks along the coast , the fishing since the storm has been good and at least those folks were getting their lives back together , as a matter of fact i was thinking of going after some redfish on a few invitations we got to come down fishing but now i guess we'll wait and see. Has anyone heard from GulfGreyhound on this one?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 8:45

From Pgh
I got a bad feeling on this one.

I heard 1,000 to 5,000 barrels a day. They truly don't know. But one thing for sure -- when it reaches shore, it'll impact fishing, shrimping, and recreation for years to come... if not decades

Remember the Valdez spill? It was around 250,000 barrels I believe. The area never did fully recover. But that was in a pristine, sparsely-used environment. The gulf spill is in vacation/ recreation spot, USA.

At 5,000 barrels a day x 90 days (newly estimated time to stop leak) = 450,000 barrels.

This has the potential to become the worst environmental catastrophe in US history.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 12:59

From Washington County Pa
I heard this morning that the shrimpers in the gulf were given the go ahead to catch all they can catch before the spill makes landfall.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 13:22

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I don't know that anyone is being lied to, but its bad, real bad.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 15:35

From harlansburg
looks to be one of the worst environmental disasters ever. finger pointing is already taking place. gonna be one messy ordeal, legally and environmentally.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 7:11

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I saw on the news last night that Norway is one of 2 countries (the other is escaping me at the moment) that had implemented an accoustic shut off system to help prevent this very situation from happening. A boat sends accoustic signals though the water, which triggers the caps at the site of the well. The US drilling companies said they had a tough time justifying the cost, which was reported at $500,000. Seems like a no brainer if you'd ask me given the consequences.

This spill is almost certain to be an environmental disaster of monumental proportion. It's hard to find one shred of anything positive to come from this situation. Call it wishful thinking, but I'm hoping this pushes for stronger regulations to prevent this from happening again. Especially with all the talk of increasing the drilling off of the US Coastline. Terrible for the US and even worse for the folks in that region still reeling from Katrina.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 11:10

From cool, dark, damp crevices
Jaybo: The acoustic shut off does sound like a no-brainer but from what I understand (maybe someone else has more info), the depth of water affects its use, as well as, the cost. Norway (Brazil is the other country) drills at a shallower depth than what is occurring in The Gulf. There was no guarantee the acoustic system would have contained The Gulf spill.....but I agree it would have been worth the shot.

I've also seen some stats regarding how much oil is actually recovered from water spills around the world. The US doesn't seem to be the most efficient at that process either.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:10

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Good point about the depth, I was just summarizing as best I could remember from the news lol. This is going to be very bad I just hope that we learn something from it. We're going to be dealing with the impact for years.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 19:27

From Johnstown, PA
I'm not sure if the sonic shut off is what they were talking about but originally the news said the failsafe systems failed.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 7:32

Typically there are three systems on rigs that have the ability to "shut down" spill situations. The first switch is the main switch (BOP), folks on board in control and the main valve on the sea floor is closed. The BOP was initiated and returned message to the rig "BOP has been activated." That clearly did not happen. Therefore, the second switch, termed "dead man", which should go off when a major catastrophe is sensed on board, didn't happen, as well. Finally, the acoustic switch is the third line of defense, which is not legally required by the UK and US and was not installed on this rig. Gotta love fail safe technology....

Some felt that the dispersant chemicals they've been injecting into the leaks were working but that subsequent bad weather had precluded their use.

“If anybody has an idea out there who thinks it may work ... we will consider anything,” Commander (US Coast Guard Spill Team) Virginia Kammer said. Makes ya feel nice and cozy, huh?

Posted on: 2010/5/3 11:54

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FruitingBodies wrote:
Typically there are three systems on rigs that have the ability to "shut down" spill situations.

Typically they don't BLOW UP either. When there is nothing left between the open end of the pipe and the water, you can throw all the switches you want...Apparently one of the bigger obstacles is that many of the remedies have been deployed before just never at this depth.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 17:08

Tomgamber: I concur, rigs don't typically blow up. There's quite a bit of skepticism emanating from this particular event. Space shuttles don't typically blow up either.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 11:05

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FruitingBodies wrote:
Tomgamber: I concur, rigs don't typically blow up. There's quite a bit of skepticism emanating from this particular event. Space shuttles don't typically blow up either.

Yes but if the shuttle falls from the sky having a shut off valve doesn't help them either...

I think there is too little discussion and too much face in hands head shaking over this event. Three remedies have failed and no progress has been made in controlling this leak.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 12:25

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com