Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Oil Spill in the Gulf.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
we have good people in the military and the corp of engineers, get them down there and let them assist.

Yeah, they're good people. They just don't have much in the way of equipment that works at a mile deep. Nobody does. Thats the problem!

Quote:
as for the clean-up, let everyone who is willing to help do so. too many folks waiting for "approval" before acting.

Just what do you suppose they should do right now? The stuff is still leaking. There was a massive containment effort, thousands of miles of booms, but the waves go right over top. Meanwhile, nomatter how much you clean up, more is on the way. Perhaps we should create a cheering squad for the oil eating microbes? Go, microbes, go! They're the only thing that's gonna get rid of this stuff.

And thank God this happened in warm waters, full of natural oil. Exxon Valdez, for instance, happened in cold waters where there aren't oil eating microbes. That stuff just dispersed, much of it is still there causing problems. This stuff will be gone within a year or two after the gusher is capped. Any species which aren't driven to extinction will likely rebound within a decade or so. Still a major disaster, but it could be worse.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:58

From Greensburg, PA
The article posted refers to a machine that can separate 200 gallons of oil from the water a minute, which works out to around 210,000 gallons of oil from water a day. It has nothing to do with the source of the pollution. It just presents a possible option for clean up. PC, I know how you like to piss in everyone's cornflakes with lots of facts and figures which we assume you know something about but I'm not sure what your point is here. I think letting others who would like to discuss this, discuss this is ok...if you'd rather not, don't. Maybe you can put your cheerleader skirt on and have your own pep rally.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 16:53

From harlansburg
if no one has the equipment to repair anything a mile deep, they should have never been drilling a mile deep.
as for clean up, any oil you remove is better than no oil removed. there are supertankers that can siphon up and collect the oil and water, then utilize the method Tom mentioned. why isn't this happening? it is out there, get it to the gulf and get it working, why wait till the leak is fixed, hell, it may NEVER get fixed.
I think you would have a different point of view if you lived along the gulf coast and your life as you know it depended on the well being of the gulf and everything that lives in it. those folks may be one of the species to become extinct.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 17:09

Quote:
if no one has the equipment to repair anything a mile deep, they should have never been drilling a mile deep.

Well, I agree with that, there needs to be regulations that don't allow them to drill at such depths.

As far as the ocean separators, they were approved by BP on the 20th, 5 days before the linked blog came out and before most media caught on to their existence. I haven't heard anything regarding their success, or if they have already been deployed. They weren't "already" on huge ships, it wasn't like they were ready to go. They have to fit them to barges first and get all the tanks and such ready, it wasn't like they were ready to go. And it doesn't separate 210,000 gallons of OIL FROM water per day, it separates 210,000 gallons of liquids a day, meaning 210,000 gallons of oil + water. Big difference. I don't know what the oil/water mixture you'd suck in would be, but there's certainly more water than oil. Just a guess, but if the oil/water ratio were more like 90/10, then if it works at the full rate it'd be 21,000 gallons of OIL separated, or 500 barrels per day. Still, thats better than nothing. They're getting those things out there as quickly as they can, BP approved the attempt right away.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 17:43

From Greensburg, PA
Looks to be about the size of Maryland now...

http://www.intellicast.com/National/GulfOilSpill.aspx

Posted on: 2010/6/4 11:17

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2010/6/4 12:42

From Pittsburgh
All i cn say is now would be a good time to buy beach front property.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 8:31

From Hershey
For your great grandkids maybe.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 10:25

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

From Glenmoore PA
Its really sad to see stuff like this. I cant help to think that the Earth would be better off without the human race. If you stop and look around, its quite easy to see how bad we screwed this planet. I enjoy being here, being alive, and experiencing everything that this world has to offer. But man, stuff like this has to end, and sadly it wont. This wont be the last oil spill, or natural disaster we create. Very frustrating to see, but how do you stop human greed?

Posted on: 2010/6/5 14:13

It just gets better...

From Greensburg, PA
If the higher-end estimates prove accurate, the leak amounts to an Exxon Valdez every five days or so

The astonishing news that the oil leak at the bottom of the sea may be twice as big as previously thought

http://www.verizon.net/newsroom/porta ... _article&_article=2859473

Posted on: 2010/6/11 22:30

From Johnstown, PA
At this point in the discussion of this issue i strongly encourage anyone who can to go to the Coast to Coast (radio talk show) and get into their archives , i listen to the radio show i don't visit their web-site , but i know they have archives of past shows , listen to the guy that was on Tuesday and Wednesday nights as a guest speaker , he is from the military and basically says we could have stopped it had we been allowed to , that would be the shows that aired the 8th and 9th of June 2010 , Oh and do you think we were lied to NOW?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 10:26

From Greensburg, PA
If the military could have stopped it it would be stopped. Period. Its not stopped because NO ONE has an effective method of making it stop. Alien chasing, bigfoot hunting radio talk shows make no difference.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 21:12

From cool, dark, damp crevices
Osprey: Check out The Oil Drum if you get a chance. Very good engineering, geological and financial information on the spill. Excellent site for energy information, in general.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:21

From Johnstown, PA
fruitingbodies...............The Oil Drum proves to be a littlecomplicated for this old mind and also , unless i misinterpreted , seems a little lopsided in it's view of things.

Posted on: 2010/6/19 8:20

fruitingbodies,

Thanks for the link, I went over it some last night. That is a very informative place, and refreshingly based on facts. The site's mission is to provide evidence based, realistic discussion of the energy crisis. The realistic aspect is completely absent from the main stream discussions, which has always bothered me.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 9:35

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com