Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

New Class A Surveys

From Hanover
The latest round of stream surveys caught the attention of the New York Times. Hopefully, they will be able to add even more to the new 99 streams.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0 ... ng-trout-to-protect-them/

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:38

Re: New Class A Surveys

From LV
It's a very good thing to get this in the NY Times.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 20:22

About three times per year I have been receiving tips from anglers either via pm's , office emails, or telephone calls regarding the locations of wild trout streams of which I may not have been aware. Those contacts have been appreciated and, in most cases have led to stream surveys being conducted. One survey this year revealed that the previously unknown stream (to me) supported a Class A population. When anglers have speculated that wild trout are present, the results have not been very fruitful.

Posted on: 2011/9/5 11:45

From New Castle, PA
So it would seem anglers suggest a survey without actually fishing there themselves previously?

Posted on: 2011/9/6 23:39

From SE PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
About three times per year I have been receiving tips from anglers either via pm's , office emails, or telephone calls regarding the locations of wild trout streams of which I may not have been aware. Those contacts have been appreciated and, in most cases have led to stream surveys being conducted. One survey this year revealed that the previously unknown stream (to me) supported a Class A population. When anglers have speculated that wild trout are present, the results have not been very fruitful.

My take away is a couple of positives:

1. If the PFBC is doing it's job it should not be easy to find streams that are not on their list.

2. Some anglers are sending in reports to the PFBC on streams they think might qualify for inclusion.

3. PFBC seems to be acting on the tips leading to additional surveys and in some cases additions to the list.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 9:46

PennKev: "So it would seem anglers suggest a survey without actually fishing there themselves previously?"

Mike: Yes, that has been a rare case, but it happens. That's why we may seem a little critical of suggestions by asking a few probing questions when anglers volunteer supposed wild trout waters (unless, of course, we already know the angler). Wild goose chases can be expensive and take us away from the time we would have spent on better prospects. Time=money=license dollars.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 12:28

1. If the PFBC is doing it's job it should not be easy to find streams that are not on their list.

OUCH! Hey, it's a big state and a small staff, plus finding them and doing a survey are not all that are required. Report writing is required as well, and that limits how many streams can be "found" in a year.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 12:32

From SE PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:

OUCH! Hey, it's a big state and a small staff, plus finding them and doing a survey are not all that are required. Report writing is required as well, and that limits how many streams can be "found" in a year.

I'm sorry Mike. That was meant as a compliment. Streams that qualify for the list but have been missed are rather hard to find. I appreciate the job you guys are doing.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 12:46

Franklin, no problem and thanks for the clarification.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 16:08

From LV
All the more reason for all anglers to contact PFBC biologists, if they find a stream that has trout in it. All trout streams need the protection of DEP Regs.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 20:56

From Harrisburg
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
All the more reason for all anglers to contact PFBC biologists, if they find a stream that has trout in it. All trout streams need the protection of DEP Regs.

Dear Chaz,

Not trying to pick nits, but didn't you mean to say that all streams need the protection of DEP regs?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/9/16 21:04
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Lehighton, PA
Mike, I only have one question regarding the Class A list. When is the PFBC going to place the class A surveyed section of Martins Creek on the list? This section is already unstocked and has been surveyed twice in seperate years and each time it exceeded the Class A standards for wild trout. Both times my chapter was told it would be listed and when that didnt happen we were told it was just a mistake and it would be corrected.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 12:11

From Delaware Co.
I'm all for supporting wild trout and class A streams . But I think the Smallie needs more protection these days especially in the Se

Posted on: 2011/9/24 22:38

From LV
Tim, Well no that's not what I meant, but I maybe should have been thinking along those lines.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 17:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com