« 1 (2)

Re: Nestle Bottling/ Spring Creek
From Monessen, PA
Yes/no

Posted on: 1/7 17:44

-- Me

From State College PA
spruce creek.- I have not seen a tanker drawing water from there for 4-5 years now. If it still occurs, it is at a MUCH lower frequency than in the past. I have seen no evidence of activity around the pipe (wet spots, tracks).
AquaPenn- yes, they still bottle water in milesburg.

TB is correct that corning returned a large part of the water, warmed, but returned.

there's a lot of permits/agreements to sell water in the Spring creek watershed. Most have not been realized yet, thankfully.

Posted on: 1/7 17:53

From Tionesta PA
There are lots of other waterways that could better support this use. I would reject this permit and suggest they use the Allegheny river.

Posted on: 1/8 7:47

From LV
Exactly!

Posted on: 1/8 17:13

From Granville
Quote:

JimKennedy wrote:
Presuming I have the right Spring Township...

Which you don't. Kern run is dammed and is a small 25 acre reservoir or so in Snyder County just outside of Beaver Springs. That Spring Township is southeast by 30 or 40 miles as the crow flies I'd say.

The article and video never mention where they wanted to pull the water from. They just stated that it would come out of the Spring Creek watershed and that the area is full of high quality springs (which is true.) I browsed Spring Township's website and they did not disclose where they get their water from. As far as I know there are no sizable reservoirs so it almost had to be pulled from a deep well or a flowing water. Given that they are bottling Deer Park (touted as Spring Water) I would not assume the water will come from a well but from a small, high quality feeder spring that feeds Spring Creek. I could see this reducing the amount of good, cold water from this spring that would help keep Spring Creek cold farther downstream.

On a side note First Quality all ready has a bottling plant that pulls water directly from Bald Eagle Creek in Lock Haven. Notice how that water is not branded as "spring water" and is sold as "purified water.". Every bottle of water discloses any and all water sources.

Posted on: 1/9 7:55

From Granville
On another note three of the more prominent springs in the township are Blue Spring, Boiling Springs, and the Big Spring. I am not sure where the first two lie within the township but maybe some of the rest of you do. I could definitely see one of those being the source for the water which Nestle will pull directly from and then pay the township based on gallons used.

Posted on: 1/9 8:00

From Tionesta PA
Interestingly enough spring water is not as pure and healthful as treated municipal water. Spring water contains slightly elevated levels of naturally occurring radium and radon among other dissolved earth elements. Not enough to be harmful at all, but not the health pure H2O consumers think it is.

Posted on: 1/9 8:12

From Tionesta PA
Another interesting read from Potter County. Potter County just rejected an application for bottling water this past month.

https://extension.psu.edu/potter-count ... rce-water-protection-plan

Posted on: 1/9 8:15

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Camp wrote:
Interestingly enough spring water is not as pure and healthful as treated municipal water. Spring water contains slightly elevated levels of naturally occurring radium and radon among other dissolved earth elements. Not enough to be harmful at all, but not the health pure H2O consumers think it is.

That's likely true in most cases.

Also consider that muni water is better regulated.

link

If you don't like that link, there are plenty of others.

About the only time I drink bottled water is if I am traveling, and purely out of convenience. And then, it is labeled purified.

Never Fiji Water.

I could have gone either way with this since I'm not fond of muni water, either. I have an awesome well.

NO REBUTTAL!

Posted on: 1/25 9:12

From florida

Posted on: 1/31 17:13

From Bonchack
Background. . . . . I grew up in the village of Axemann, a stone's throw from Logan Branch and have fished both the Branch and Spring Creek almost daily during the prime fishing months for well over 50 years. The chairman of the Spring Township Water Authority is a Mr. Doug Weikel who, while a decent guy, has his mind pretty much made up in favor of this debacle. I've massaged the withdrawal numbers a hundred different ways and you can make them say most anything you want. Mr. Weikle has indicated that there would be thresholds in any agreement that was reached based on Drought watches and warnings but we all know how ambiguous that can be and we also know that Nestle has a less than stellar record on stewardship and being good citizens in general. I would encourage any and all concerned individuals to contact Mr. Weikle at dweikle@hrg-inc.com and voice your concerns.

Posted on: 3/30 13:46

From Penns Creek Canyon

Bugs how does logan branch fish these days saw they stopped stocking it. I fished it years ago some nice water back there on your way to Bellefonte from pleasant gap.

Posted on: 4/3 15:33

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com