NZ Snails?

CVangler

CVangler

I was fishing the Breeches today at the run and as I was fishing I noticed some rocks with tons of small black snails on them. I then picked up maybe a half dozen rocks from the water and underneath there were more of them. I am just wondering if any of you have seen the same thing and if you know if they're native or if they're New Zealand Mud Snails. Sorry I don't have a picture but most were about a .25 of an inch long and black.

Could be NZ snails. They look like grains of sand and are beyond numerous when they show up.

Possibly but that sounds wrong on size and color. The Breeches otherwise is loaded with snails though not the NZ variety. Don't know about Chlildren's lake and the run but it would be likely for Non NZ snails to be there as well.

Yeah, 0.25" seems big.

The NZ mud snails on Spring Creek are super numerous. Tiny little black specs by the millions. Looks like someone sprinkled ground pepper all over the bottom. When you look close, yeah, they're bigger than pepper, but you do have to look close to even tell they are snails.

We're probably talking on the order of 1/32 of an inch, i.e. around 1 mm.

Back