NY Lifts Fracking Ban

W

wsender

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/173312/20110702/natural-gas-fracking-ban-hydrofracking-ban-natural-gas-ban-new-york-natural-gas.htm

Dear PA,

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag.

Sincerely,
New York

I can't wait for NYS to get fracking! Misery loves company. Maybe some of my frac truck traffic will migrate north...

I like the one line in the article, "If hydrofracking is not safe in the New York City watershed it's not safe in any watershed"
I've always felt that when people try to argue about fracking in the ny watershed, delaware river watershed, etc.
if it's a problem there, why is it safe to do elsewhere. sacrifice the few for the needs of the many I guess.

Dear jj,

Actually the truck traffic will now migrate both north and south.

Contractors and any truck driver with a 400 credit score and a CDL will now be able to bring the same sort of wholesome goodness they are bringing to the Northern Tier of PA to the Southern Tier of NY.

Philly contractors are heading north due to the lack of work and now contractors from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, the Hudson Valley and even NYC will now descend on the Southern Tier.

There is money to be made man, and they all want a slice of the pie.

The taxpayers will be left holding the bag same as always, but with the kind of money that is being exchanged that is a small price to pay so that the filthy rich can become even filthier and richer.

Robber barons still exist, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

4370728254_85b236db06.jpg

The entire Twin Tiers of NY and PA will be unfishable in a few years. Get yer asses up to the Big Pine, 'Sock, Oswayo, and Kettle while you can for trout. Come up and fish the North Branch Suskie for SMB while it is still stellar!!!

I'm holding out that the Delaware River Basin Comm. stands fast and doesn't let the drillers come into Wayne Co. I'd like to see at least one river make it...

As for the Lacky? Well, they are doing exploratory wells in Lack Co. The end is near for that fishery. Fracking on the northern end and AMD at the southern end... squeezing the Mid-Valley "good fishing" area in a vise.

[sigh]

This bites...

What would be an acceptable response by NY? To continue to completely ban the extraction of a natural resource? NY, at least, didn't jump headfirst into the Marcellus play, but instead let us (PA) make the rookie mistakes (and continue to make the now veteran mistakes). Hopefully, their permitting process isn't the rubber stamp ours is. Its inevitable that the gas will be extracted; what is not is how vast the destruction will likely be. Some of that can be neutralized or avoided with some careful thought and foresight. And hopefully, they can extract some revenue for their coffers from the process as well. There is certainly a palatable and bearable tax for businesses to foot, for natural gas extraction, that would help cover some of the expenses the state picks up for the actions the drillers and extracters create.

Back