Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: NW PA Stocking Over Wild Trout Survey Results

From LV
It is in the Trout Management Plan, and the statement includes Class B streams as well. A pet peeve of mine is the number of Delayed Harvest Streams that have wild trout populations, anglers are quick to ask for Delayed Harvest Areas because they see "Holdovers" but fail to consider that the fish they think are holdover fish are really wild fish.
Many Delayed Harvest Sections, especially sections just below Class A or B sections will have plenty of wild trout in them. Streams just don't go from Class A or B to no wild trout, that isn't the way wild trout streams work. The gradually change from one classification to another unless something like AMD or other form of pollution impacts them.
I will say it again there are quite a few Class A Streams that are stocked; I've been told the number is 41. There are many more sections just below Class A Sections that are stocked and have been stocked for years. This should not even be done, because 9 times out of 10 there are wild trout in sufficient numbers as to provide a recreational fishery.
The Trout Management Plan is on the PFBC web site.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 15:30

From Berks County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
For what it is worth, when a stream is classified as Class A because of sufficient trout biomass, it automatically gets elevated on the DEP protection list to EV Exceptional Value water. This limits development, discharge and other detrimental activities. It is my belief that very few anglers pay any attention to the Class A listings. While it may increase pressure slightly, I doubt it will turn a stream into an opening day free-for-all atmosphere. On balance, the added protection is worth the publicity. After a couple years, it will be just another of the hundreds of Class A waters, but the protection afforded from degradation will last longer, perhaps forever.

Correction: Class A streams are give automatic HQ (High Quality) staus by the DEP. EV is only granted by petition to the EQB (Environmental Quality Board). HQ can still be 'degraded' because of the 'economic hardship' clause in the regulations. EV streams cannot be degraded, with permitted discharges. In all likelihood, Class A streams are EV quality. TU Chapters should petition to have them upgraded. Join with watershed partners if necessary. There is a handbook on how to do this on the Pennfuture website. You have to hunt for it. I'll hunt for it and post in another thread.

Posted on: 2007/4/17 21:57

From Monessen, PA
I stand corrected, EV status can be attained by a showing of Class A biomass plus any other of a number of factors listed here:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter93/s93.4b.html

HQ status is a significant limitation on detrimental activities, but apparently not as significant as EV.

Posted on: 2007/4/17 22:50

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com