NW PA Coyote Study

E

eplatz1

https://sites.google.com/site/coyotestudy/

As coyote become part of Pennsylvania's natural landscape, Pennsylvanians are interacting with coyote, and sometimes for the first time. Unfortunately, there is very little research on coyote in PA, and even less on the coyote-human relationship in PA. Therefore, the purpose of this survey is to fill some of those gaps with the knowledge and opinions of people from the NW PA region. We are specifically looking at the northwestern Pennsylvania area, but are more than happy to collect data from anyone in western PA. We are hoping to get an overview of potential coyote population, hunting methods, coyote behavior towards humans, peoples' opinions and knowledge of coyote, and other general coyote-human interactions in NW PA to help fill the research gap.

You do not have to be a hunter of coyote to take this survey. Please feel free to pass it along to your family and friends. Everyone's opinion is important.

Thank you for your time!!

https://sites.google.com/site/coyotestudy/

I have had a few message boards where people thought this was spam, so I want to make it clear that I am doing research, not posting links for the fun of it. :)

We are trying to do research and we need opinions. I am a student at Edinboro University of PA and I am working with a professor in order to complete this coyote study. We want lots of opinions, so I figured that I would post it on message boards and try to get people to respond. This study will be published in a scientific journal and we are also giving the analysis of the results at a conference in NYC in February

They are not native to PA get rid of them.

They naturally migrated into the state. You will never get rid of them. Our ecosystem needed a top predator since we eradicated all animals that originally filled that void.

Agree with the thought, but think that this falls into the "easier said than done" category. Coyote populations have NEVER been successfully managed or controlled by anyone, and plenty have tried.

Was at my beer exchange last week and at around 7pm we heard a whole pack not too far off. Now this was in a fairly sizable housing complex surrounded by woods. You could tell they were no more than 100 yards away from the houses, if that.

What Pcray said is dead on. I did a series of papers in school on coyotes and controlling the pops and it doesn't work. Essentially, the only thing that has been proven to control coyote pops is food availibility. The females can have multiple litters and the size of said litters is dependent upon her health which is directly dependent on available food. They are one of the most adaptive animals out there, i believe one of the only ones present in all 50 states.

Browns and rainbows not native to Pa, get rid of them.

Chaz wrote:

Dear Chaz,

They most assuredly and indisputably are native to PA. Coyotes are native to North America, ergo they are native to Pennsylvania.

As feral canines, they don't recognize political boundaries, but that is hardly their fault. They move where food and habit is adequate for their survival, you know, like native species do. ;-)

Maybe if man hadn't killed off the more appropriately "native" to you wolves, then non-natives like you and I wouldn't be having this discussion?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim, I don't think that they are native to PA.

Wolves, definitely. Coyotes, no. At least I've never seen anything stating they are. Feel free to correct me if you find anything.

Yeah, they're native to north america, but so are rainbow trout, grizzlies, and caribou. But nobody is claiming they are native to PA.

They did get here via natural process from their home range, though. So I suppose you could argue that they are NOW native, as humans didn't have a hand in their spread (at least not directly, but only through creating habitat and eliminating competition). Really, many of our "native" animals did not evolve here, but rather arrived via quite natural means.

Coyotes are NOT native to Pa. Period.

Interesting points of view...if they were not "put" here and migrated naturally, does that make them native? Native Americans are said to have migrated from Asia, no?

Native plant and animal species are limited only by their natural diversity and habitat.

For instance, fish are obviously limited by drainage.

Plants are limited by climate (temperature/moisture) and propagated by bird and animal species scattering seeds.

Terrestrial animal species are limited by climate and terrain.

If the coyotes were not planted here and migrated naturally then they are simply expanding their range. Are they native? Perhaps not based on the historical nativity.

I seem to recall back in the early 90's some coyotes being shot by farmers in Greene County because they were taking their sheep. One of them had a PGC tag on it. It was presumed but never admitted that the PGC introduced them covertly to control the Deer Population.

Kill 'em all!!! PERIOD!!!! They're nothin' but state sponsered terrorists, just like wolves outta Yellowstone! I've seen them in my back yard in Moco, MD and all over PA. They kill fauns, domestic pets, domestic animals, and also are destroying the fox populations. I can't wait til I go on my first hunt after Xmas! I'm gonna slam one!!!! LIL Bastards!

Feral pigs are not native to PA, so should we openly accept them as well?

It was presumed but never admitted that the PGC introduced them covertly to control the Deer Population.

Coyotes were definitely here in the 90's. They arrived in the late 70's or early 80's. They're population is definitely higher now, but they were here, and it was well known.

I don't believe for a second that the PGC introduced coyotes. We fall perfectly in their natural expansion timeline. If they were introduced, then its a massive conspiracy including a half dozen other states as well as Canada.

Would find it far more likely that some third party introduced them covertly to a large number of areas, rather than the public wildlife agencies of all of those states and countries. To be sure, I'm only saying that is more of a possibility, not that it's likely. My gut says they arrived quite naturally as advertised.

I know of the tagged incident you are talking about. It was NOT planted by the PGC. Rather, it had been captured, locally, by the PGC, tagged, and released for study. You can blame them for not killing every animal they catch. But ultimately, its only a handful of animals that they caught and released. If your ultimate goal is to control them, then you gain far more by first understanding how they live in our environment before coming up with any sort of control plan.

they are in south eastern pa now. bucks county. not in large numbers, only seen three, but i hear about them.

I spent many freezing cold nights hunting coyotes. They have great instincts, very intelligent, by far a top notch predator. I would consider them native due to the fact that they came here naturally, but they need to be managed! They are destroying the small game population.

I think the PGC should promote coyote hunting. It is a very challenging sport!

Back