Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Marcellus Shale Drilling

From Nazareth PA
odtfish
Thanks for posting that link. That was very informative.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 18:45

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From new cumberland
odt,

thanks for the link!!

Posted on: 2010/3/20 9:18

From Greensburg, PA

Posted on: 2010/3/20 22:07

From Franklin County
Quote:

REALLY??????? NOW????? WOW!! You would think that years of fracing out west, the EPA would have a 'handle' on what is permitted to be pumped down into our water supplies. That is sad and scary.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 11:41

From Greensburg, PA
Better late than never I guess....they do things a little different out there.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 12:16

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
You would think that years of fracing out west, the EPA would have a 'handle' on what is permitted to be pumped down into our water supplies.

Theoretically, at least, nothing is being pumped "into" our water supplies, it's being pumped well below it, with our water supply protected by a water tight seal.

In practice is another question altogether. Is our estimate on how deep the water supply goes correct? Our these water tight seals actually water tight? How careful are they on the surface not to spill any?

All important questions, and I agree with you, by this time, I'd have hoped they had a handle on this before now. You don't have to look out west for the effects of hydrofracing, we've been doing it in this state for 50 years. We're just using a heck of a lot more water in the Marcellus wells.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 12:50

From Pa
Article

Quote:
Additional leasing of state forest lands for natural gas drilling would be halted for five years under a bill approved last week by the House Environmental Resources and Energy Committee. House Bill 2235 now goes before the full House for consideration. The measure is timely because one version of the state’s 2010-11 budget, passed by the House, anticipates using upwards of $180 million from additional leasing on state forest land.

The moratorium bill, approved by a 16-9 vote, would ban additional leasing of forest land for five years while environmental impact studies are completed. State conservation officials would then weigh environmental, aesthetic and public use values — rather than state revenue needs — when leasing new tracts of forest land to drilling companies.

About one-third of the 2.1 million acres of state forest land is currently leased. Roughly one-third of the 32,000 acres of forest land leased to energy companies in 2009 is located in Potter County.

Supporters of the moratorium said it would mean that property owners who want to lease their land for drilling will face less competition. The drilling issue deserves to be debated separately from the budget, since it reflects a policy decision on the use of public lands, they said.

Opponents, including Rep. Martin Causer of Potter, McKean and Cameron counties, countered that a moratorium would diminish economic opportunities. “You are stifling job development in my area,” Causer said.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 13:33

From Nazareth PA
Paul Carpenter had a good article in today's Morning Call (see link below). I agree with his view of what is happening to our state resources and feel that it is time we should write our state reps and ask them to do the right thing to protect our streams and forests and not the interstes of the gas companies. It is a problem for all of us not just the people living in the affected areas.

It will only take you a few minutes to write your rep. and you could do it on the internet. There is still time to save our streams and water supply.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-p ... shale-paul-carpenter.7220,0,3894394.column

Posted on: 2010/3/28 14:57

From E-Town and Germania
Thanks for the article. Your link is broken though, try this one.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 15:47

From Nazareth PA
Thanks for fixing the link for me salvelinus.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 15:56

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Pa
Article

Quote:
RENOVO - Northern Tier roads throughout the state are taking the brunt of the Marcellus Shale gas drilling as larger than normal trucks travel mountain roads not meant to handle such heavy operating equipment.

From dump trucks to tractor-trailer trucks hauling water or sand, logging trucks, and flatbed trucks carrying pipe and other supplies and equipment - certain narrow, mountainous asphalt roads are crumbling under the weight.

It's the price municipalities in the region are paying to allow various companies to drill for needed natural gas in the Marcellus Shale.

State Route 144, known as Ridge Road on top of Halls Run to north of Snow Shoe, is one such road that is deteriorating daily, and quite possibly could be deemed too dangerous to travel if current operations continue, officials in Western Clinton County warn.

The road is part of the Pennsylvania Wilds and connects western Clinton County to the Snow Shoe, Philipsburg and Clearfield areas.

Route 144 at the top of Halls Run Mountain is being used to support Anadarko Petroleum Corp.'s natural gas drilling on state-owned land.

Currently, contractor Glenn O. Hawbaker is running a pilot vehicle over a four mile stretch of road that "is collapsed, but passable," according to one employee.

Once a vehicle hits the four mile stretch, they are held up by a flag person awaiting a patrol vehicle. On Sunday morning, a nine-minute wait was the norm once a driver hit the top of Halls Run.

After a pilot truck brings traffic from the opposing direction, it turns around and takes those that were waiting back up the other direction.

The lead truck weaves over each side of the road. Ruts appear often, where heavy equipment has pushed the pavement into rolls as if it were simply mud. In other places, the road appears almost to have been pulverized into sink holes, leaving chunks of asphalt in piles.

Perhaps the most alarming aspect to the passerby is the rate is which the road is deteriorating.

On March 10, a trip over Route 144 to Snow Shoe was a much smoother one. Then, approximately 10 bad spots were marked by a single orange traffic cone, alerting drivers to cautiously go around the roads' blemishes.

On Sunday - just 18 days later - a patrol vehicle is now required to lead drivers over the four worst miles of road and dozens, if not hundreds of cones are used to warn of danger.

Jim Nevins has noticed the road deterioration in related trips across Route 144. Nevins is a longtime member of the Western Clinton Sportsman's Association and one of its many members who oppose the proposed extraction of water out of the Susquehanna River at Hyner.

A person with a love of the mountains that Clinton County and beyond has to offer, Nevins recently testified to various aspects of the Marcellus Shale drilling.

"I was shocked," said Nevins of the worsening road conditions. "The road is just nasty now. That four mile stretch of road was nowhere near the shape that it is now compared to just two weeks ago".

Nevins saids the road is symbolic of the kind of impact the drilling has - not only now but into the future.

"Look, neither I nor the WCSA are against the drilling, but it's out of control right now," said Nevins. "The infrastructure is not in place ... the roads are not ready for this ... things just aren't in place. We're just asking that someone get control of this. We know the drilling is going to happen. There is just too much money involved for it to completely go away."

James "Butch" Knuaff has been appointed to two different Marcellus shale-related boards in Clinton County. Additionally, Knuaff is chief of Citizen's Hose Co. No. 28, which covers the worse of Route 144.

"As of right now, we will take our smaller four-wheel drive truck should an accident occur," said Knauff.

The North Bend resident said he would like to see more of a proactive approach to the situation.

"I'm quite surprised that there are not signs as early as South Renovo, warning drivers of conditions sooner as opposed to once you're right there," Knauff said. "The first warning of a pilot vehicle and the delay is less than one mile from the point at which you stop for the pilot vehicle."

Just as concerning to both Nevins and Knauff is that the remedy to the situation seems so uncertain.

According to Wes Carson, manager of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's Clinton County operations, his agency is aware of the situation and repairs are pending.

In fact, Carson said, the work is to be done "very soon," though he could not confirm that Anadarko will foot the bill.

"I can say with certainty that PennDOT is not paying for the road to be repaired," said Carson.

Additionally, local officials question if the road can be repaired to the point of being able to handle such heavy truck traffic.

"I'm very skeptical to see how a road that is not meant for more than 10 tons can be fixed, and then suddenly handle vehicles much heavier than its limitations," said Nevins.

The reports from Nevins and Knauff follow identical challenges faced by officials at Haneyville in regard to state Route 44 at the Clinton-Lycoming county line.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 11:08

From Dallastown, PA
It should have been a precondition that trucks over the weight limit would not be allowed or the companies needing to use them create the infrastructure for them. Or at least contribute.

Again we are creating industry in places that cannot sustain industry and maintain their aesthetic integrity. Once the money is sucked out of the ground the mess will be ours to clean up.

Lovely.

Here is an email I got today from the Forest Coalition re: Rendell mentions TU is against MS drilling and Northern Tier is souring toward drilling efforts in a speach in Texas.....

Hi Anglers,

Here are some of Governor Rendell’s comments when he participated in an energy conference in Dallas, TX last week. If you read between the lines, it seems as if he is promoting himself to his next employer.

From an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Gov. Rendell, describing himself as the "best ally" of the natural-gas industry

He told his audience at the natural-gas conference that he has campaigned relentlessly to promote the industry in Pennsylvania

Rendell implied that the industry was making his political life difficult, even though he agreed last year to delay imposing a severance tax.

He said he now faced an insurrection "from my own Democratic Party," demanding a moratorium on leasing additional state forest lands.

The Governor admitted that “. . . Several incidents were "blown out of proportion" by the media . . . And opposition from environmental groups in the Philadelphia area was expected.

"But even in the northern [part of the state], we're starting to lose support in the counties where people are making the most money from the shale, where the jobs are being created," Rendell told the conference. "And groups like Trout Unlimited, which is a very powerful organization in Pennsylvania, have begun to come out against expansion of shale drilling."

In his closing . . . Rendell offered, to many laughs: "I'm available in January."
Not everyone thought the offer was a joke. Will Brackett, managing editor of the influential Powell Barnett Shale Newsletter, who attended the conference, wrote an editorial Sunday saying that Rendell might make a useful lobbyist. . .

# # #

For the complete article, go to http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/89490902.html

Words out of context or the heart of the matter? At least the Governor did ask the gas industry to accept a severance tax.

You decide.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:07

I just read an article that said the Philadelphia City Council unanimously agreed to a resolution calling for a ban on all hydraulic fracturing in the Delaware watershed. The resolution is being sent to the Delaware River Basin Commission. My hope is still that somewhere, somehow, an effort or movement is growing for a statewide moratorium on the practice until what's already done can be monitored and studied and, if further drilling is then allowed to take place, the proper regulations, and sufficient regulators, will be in place to provide proper environmental oversight. This cart before the horse thing was just plain wrong.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 14:02

From Bozeman
That sounds reasonable to me.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 14:10

From Pa
Quote:
It will only take you a few minutes to write your rep. and you could do it on the internet. There is still time to save our streams and water supply.

Absolutely. Anyone on the downstream side of the northern tier should be watching this development unfold and let your reps know what you think.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 17:53

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com