Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Make trails as close to the creek as possible

From SE Pa
I just ran across this vision of the "Brandywine Conservancy" for the Brandywine trail ........

" Re-align the trail along the banks of the Brandywine to the greatest extent feasible "

I don't mean to sound negative, but I think it's essential for creeks to have many areas of limited access and un-compromised cover in order to maintain a healthy fish population.

I'm all for nice walking paths, but maybe an increase of easy access to a creek is not beneficial to the aquatic populations.

https://www.brandywine.org/conservancy/projects/brandywine-trail

Posted on: 3/10 19:57

Re: Make trails as close to the creek as possible

From Glenmoore
I don't disagree with your ideal but, as I understand it, the intent is a little different than just creating a "nice walking path." I think the org would prefer an unimproved trail where possible and are not simply seeking to build a paved trail along the banks. It'll be a blend of terrain, as it is today. The Struble trail, for instance, is a paved section above Downingtown that is (I believe) maintained by the townships and a different non-profit org; north of D'town, the trail veers off into the woods near Marsh Creek where it takes on the natural characteristics described on the site you noted.

The biggest challenge they'll face in their plan to expand is that so much streamside property is privately held, and as many of us have discovered, property owners are not always keen on having strangers on their land.

Posted on: 3/11 7:39

From Reedsville
I can see both sides. But the more people that see the beauty of the stream, maybe more fishermen. Maybe more eyes/hands to see and pick up litter.

What am I talking about, we are humans and most of us are slobs.

Posted on: 3/11 8:47

A wide riparian buffer of natural vegetation is very important for stream health. In order that accomplish that, trails paralleling streams should be set well back from the stream banks.

It's best if the trails are not in the floodplains, but on higher ground.

Another advantage of that is the trails don't get damaged by floods, so less maintenance is required.

I remember exploring a stream in SC PA that was in some sort of small "nature preserve" and they had trails all along the stream in the floodplain and crossing the creek at footbridges.

A flood came through and took out all the footbridges. Their remains were scattered downstream.

I know of one case in NC PA where DCNR moved a trail further away from a stream, moving it to a hillslope position rather than being in the floodplain. It's something that should be done in more places.

Posted on: 3/11 17:23

From SE Pa
Quote:
A wide riparian buffer of natural vegetation is very important for stream health. In order that accomplish that, trails paralleling streams should be set well back from the stream banks.

It's best if the trails are not in the floodplains, but on higher ground.

Yep. A goal needs to be maintaining stream health.

Posted on: 3/13 12:06

From Northern VA
Read the page and am not sure what is actually being proposed. Seems like general statements about building a trail that has mostly been built already?

Posted on: 3/13 17:03

I am not a huge fan of any of these trails. Most areas would benefit greatly by leaving things as they are. Building big parking lots, erecting signs and building trails and advertising these natural areas has generally not been at all beneficial to nature. Trails and roads are not good for streams. A good example is Kettle Creek. Look carefully at areas that are close to road vs areas set back in the woods. there is a noticeable difference in erosion etc. On smaller streams the same thing happens with all the foot traffic. I see plenty of places on tiny streams that have become eroded to point that you can't walk along that side of creek anymore. Mountain Bikes and horses really tear things up. This recent trail building craze by the so called "nature lovers" is destructive

Posted on: 3/28 9:19

From SE Pa
Completely agree, especially in suburban areas where fish really benefit from areas that have buffers because so many other stretches in the don't.

Posted on: 3/29 16:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2020 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com